Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys new to hcs ....usually I sled in NH but latley I have been thinking it might be cool to ride in the mt greylock area ?? I have been trying to research this part of the state ...but have not had much luck ..is this best area to ride in the state? how much snow is in this region?and what is the grooming like there ?Driving there would be equal to driving to northern nh so iam interested to give it a try
thanks guys orginaly from Gardner maybe thats why I want to see what mass offer

·
Premium Member
59,458 Posts
hey guys new to hcs ....usually I sled in NH but latley I have been thinking it might be cool to ride in the mt greylock area ?? I have been trying to research this part of the state ...but have not had much luck ..is this best area to ride in the state? how much snow is in this region?and what is the grooming like there ?Driving there would be equal to driving to northern nh so iam interested to give it a try
thanks guys orginaly from Gardner maybe thats why I want to see what mass offer[/b]
hey the best trails im mass are around lake denison area-------winchendon down to barre etc

damn board

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
thanks guys orginaly from Gardner maybe thats why I want to see what mass offer[/b]
I would have to say around October mountain, heading towards windsor are some of the best trails around, also right around the corner from mt. greylock, the backside!!

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
I would have to say around October mountain, heading towards windsor are some of the best trails around, also right around the corner from mt. greylock, the backside!![/b]
I heard you like the Backside.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
how many miles could you put on of a good day of riding in this region ...also is the gas along the way?? the statue above mt. greylock looks like it would be a cool ride to get up there..anybody rode this trail

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
With a sense of adventure or a GPS you can fill your day with riding. We rode 80 miles Sunday from Littleville Dam through Worthington up to PLainfield and then Ashfield for lunch and back. Some trails great other not so great. Massachusetts appears to be goat paths that interconnect unplowed roads or state forests. This appears to be the case no matter what club or area you ride in. So miles is a hard thing to just spin off.

Oh yeah, Greylock is basically closed this season for road repairs. No riding to the monument on the top. I believe 90 is the only trail open in that area.

Brian55 was right.... ITS71 is the biggest best widest smoothest trail in the state. I think everyone should ride it! Stay away from Otis and Roctober Mt. Horrible trails! :)

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
hey the best trails im mass are around lake denison area-------winchendon down to barre etc
damn board[/b]
But then what do you do with the other 9 hours of riding in a 10 hour day...

·
Registered
44,392 Posts
I would have to say around October mountain, heading towards windsor are some of the best trails around, also right around the corner from mt. greylock, the backside!![/b]
Yeah...go along with that also. Only problem right now its got to get way colder...too many open swill holes and brooks. Tried to get to windsor sunday but burn't too much fuel just getting to october mt.

·
Registered
196 Posts
With a sense of adventure or a GPS you can fill your day with riding. We rode 80 miles Sunday from Littleville Dam through Worthington up to PLainfield and then Ashfield for lunch and back. Some trails great other not so great. Massachusetts appears to be goat paths that interconnect unplowed roads or state forests. This appears to be the case no matter what club or area you ride in. So miles is a hard thing to just spin off.

Oh yeah, Greylock is basically closed this season for road repairs. No riding to the monument on the top. I believe 90 is the only trail open in that area.
Brian55 was right.... ITS71 is the biggest best widest smoothest trail in the state. I think everyone should ride it! Stay away from Otis and Roctober Mt. Horrible trails! :)[/b]
how come ur buddy mr bill and his clowns were not out groom the great otis trail lol

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
how come ur buddy mr bill and his clowns were not out groom the great otis trail lol[/b]
How's Mike?

Mr. Bill was riding in VT!

Thiokol was grooming Miller Swamp area friday and Sunday.

Bearcats ran from October Mt down to East Otis Center Friday Night

Porrell & Knox done Thursday.

First tracks Saturday all the way up to the Mt!

Who rides Otis anyways? :yes:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the info guys looks like the warm weather will probaly not be ideal for a southern run at this point. PRAY for snow and cold temps

·
Premium Member
59,458 Posts

Brian55 was right.... ITS71 is the biggest best widest smoothest trail in the state. I think everyone should ride it! Stay away from Otis and Roctober Mt. Horrible trails! :)[/b]
:hmm:
But then what do you do with the other 9 hours of riding in a 10 hour day...[/b]
ya ok--------i was out there for 3 hours and didnt even go through denison-------and there were a bunch of trails in barre that i didnt go down-

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
:hmm:

ya ok--------i was out there for 3 hours and didnt even go through denison-------and there were a bunch of trails in barre that i didnt go down-[/b]
If you enjoy going 10 miles in 3 hours then have at it. I for one out grew that form of riding many moons ago. I use to ride through Denison, all over Royalston and Petersham and toward Barre but that was before a lot of the areas got shut down... Can't connect through Royalston anywhere thanks to the Trustee's at Tulley Dam.

Plus its not worth beating the crap out of your sled unless you run a beater.. I was thinking of getting a beater sled for down here in flat land country but then mother nature turned this area back into what it is 90% of the time the last 10 years - dirt... Have at it - I'm going north! :i_need_snow: :beer_cheers:

·
Premium Member
59,458 Posts
If you enjoy going 10 miles in 3 hours then have at it. I for one out grew that form of riding many moons ago. I use to ride through Denison, all over Royalston and Petersham and toward Barre but that was before a lot of the areas got shut down... Can't connect through Royalston anywhere thanks to the Trustee's at Tulley Dam.

Plus its not worth beating the crap out of your sled unless you run a beater.. I was thinking of getting a beater sled for down here in flat land country but then mother nature turned this area back into what it is 90% of the time the last 10 years - dirt... Have at it - I'm going north! :i_need_snow: :beer_cheers:[/b]
i was ridin 45-50 mph--------btw i did 60 miles and stopped and towed my other sled [ves valve munched a piston]

most of these trails are great-------there are a few small connectors

i can tell you havent ridden around here lately--------2-3 years

·
Registered
397 Posts

Plus its not worth beating the crap out of your sled unless you run a beater.. I was thinking of getting a beater sled for down here in flat land country but then mother nature turned this area back into what it is 90% of the time the last 10 years - dirt... Have at it - I'm going north! :i_need_snow: :beer_cheers:[/b]
So you consider flat, straight, groomers fun riding, than this area is not for you. OK, go north, one less sled ruining the trails.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
So you consider flat, straight, groomers fun riding, than this area is not for you. OK, go north, one less sled ruining the trails.[/b]
If you think going up over Dixville Peak or climbing Maggalloway Mountain is flat and straight then you have not been in Coos county to see the difference. And yes there is one less sled ruining the trails. Have fun on your dirt this weekend as I know I will be having fun up north. :beer_cheers:

Comparing MA to any of the northern states is ridiculous. MA does not welcome snowmobilers. Try getting gas at Cumbee's in Baldwinville on your sled... They won't even turn the pumps on for you. Way back the trail use to go right to the place.. Up north its totally different towards this.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I would like to reply to the gas situation at Cumberlands in Baldwinville. The main reason you are unable to get any fuel there is because a couple of years ago some YAHOO was doing donuts in the parking lot while waiting for me getting gas. I no longer ride with that person !!! Another reason you can't get fuel there is because there is no way to get there. Sure you can ride the sidewalk for 1000 yards or ride an active rail road bed which by the way all are illegal. I actually saw some tracks the other day go right across that memorial for peto Casey (a long time respected selectman)

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I would like to reply to the gas situation at Cumberlands in Baldwinville. The main reason you are unable to get any fuel there is because a couple of years ago some YAHOO was doing donuts in the parking lot while waiting for me getting gas. I no longer ride with that person !!! Another reason you can't get fuel there is because there is no way to get there. Sure you can ride the sidewalk for 1000 yards or ride an active rail road bed which by the way all are illegal. I actually saw some tracks the other day go right across that memorial for peto Casey (a long time respected selectman)[/b]
That's my point - in other parts of the country you are allowed to ride the sidewalk to get gas... Try it anywhere in Massholeville and the cops will be there before you get to the gas station.

·
Registered
73 Posts
That's my point - in other parts of the country you are allowed to ride the sidewalk to get gas... Try it anywhere in Massholeville and the cops will be there before you get to the gas station.[/b]

What are you smoking ? Are you high ? There is no place that it is legal to ride down the sidewalk or snowbanks. There is no rail road company that will allow you to ride on an active rail bed either Trust me I learned the hard way !!!!! You are missing the point, the main reason they won't sell gas is because some YAHOO was doing donuts in the parking lot.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts