Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hear on this forum a lot about people wanting a 800 or a 900 in the firecat chasis. But, in reading most mags and listening to peoples comments the zr chasis handles better than the firecat chasis.
So, my question is this, what does the firecat chasis give you that is so much better than the zr chasis, aside from weight?

I havent rode a zr chasis since 97, so I dont have a clue how they ride.

Have a good day!

·
Registered
841 Posts
Originally posted by maxdcat@Jan 10 2003, 09:31 AM
The most notable difference I would say is the width of the tunnel, once you've experienced this new width you will have a hard time sitting on a ZR.  The ZR feels fat and uncomfortable once you've ridden with the narrower tunnel.
Good point :D I would also add that the ZR does not handle better than the F's in my opinion....I have owned several Cats in the ZR form and this Firecat is alot more nimble and handles high speed rough stuff alot better.....I also like the narrow track footprint because it hooks up alot better in all conditions at lower elevations.......I think that who ever told you the ZR handles better likely has never ridden an F or has a ZR that they are trying to sell you

·
Premium Member
9,228 Posts
I have owned 6 ZR's the last being a 01 ZR800. The Fifecat is much better all around than the ZR. I like the fact its light and responds to your body movements and you can ride this sled on 1 ski if you want. You can easily throw it around. The longer track smooths out the craters too. The 700 is as good in the power department as the 800! Nice job. If are a ZR owner and have not ridden a Firecat you should.

·
Registered
930 Posts
I have read those comments in the mags as well. A couple things come to mind. First off, the 02 ZRs set a new standard for wide open trail handling for a "traditional" sled. Based on all the discussions on this forum, the ZR's also seem to require less "adjusting" to be spot on. That's good and bad. For the guys that can't/don't change their setups, the ZR chassis will be more forgiving (toe out, etc)..but it also will have boundries that the Firecat chassis can exceed if properly tuned. You can "get away with" just sitting on the ZR and rippin' down a trail...the Firecat seems to require more rider input (which most folks like).

To answer your question about why the Firecat would be viewed as better...once it is set up properly (see Rob's setup journey as example of trial and error and how to determine what works for your individual style), it will give you all the ZR chassis will...and also some more. Some guys won't ever find that setup and some guys won't use the "more" that the Firecat offers, but the potential is there.

ZR potential lllllllllllllllllllll
Firecat potential lllllllllllllllllllll

If someone rides a well set up ZR (mine :p ) and a poorly set up Firecat, the ZR will handle better. Set up both to their potential and I think we have a new King for most riders. The only exception is that in some riding, weight can actually be your friend for stability...but generally lighter is better..Marc

1 - 4 of 4 Posts