Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok im thinking about buying some new exhaust system for my xlt. i was wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to which brand is the best for a triple.also i want to get some different independent air filters because the big box takes up too much room. so if anyone knows the best brand for that also please let me know.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Slp makes good pipes for the monoblock engines. You might want to think twice about adding pipes if the engine has more than say 2000 miles on it, your crank will not last. I know this from experience, I had a 96' XCR 600, same engine as your machine. Pipes also require experienced tuning abilities, or your investment might make your machine slower or worse, you could end up with holes in the pistons. If you just use the jetting and clutching reccomendations that come with the pipes, you will be safe, but you won't gain much as far as performance goes.
As far as the airbox goes, the engine will run better and have much more consistent performance if you retain the airbox as opposed to using pods. Why would you want more space? You can remove the shelf inside the box for better airflow.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well haha i guess we wont be putting pipes on then, because im pretty sure there is about 9500 miles on it. unless of course the odometer is off but that is a small possibility. the reason i want more space is just room to work on it and heh, well it looks cooler when i open the hood to show my friends.

·
Premium Member
1,232 Posts
i would not worry about the crank, just pipe it as long as your compression is good. you will need to turn up your oil pump to the higher setting when you do pipe it. this will protect the crank bearings. run the stock airbox gutted, it will flow cold air to the engine and make more power than filter pods. forget what people think about what your engine bay looks like, just enjoy the thought that you can hang with modern sleds in a drag race once you're piped and clutched right. this will peak the curiousity of more than one person that sees it run. SLP sells the best pipes for the XLT. Pro-5 also made some pretty good pipes, they may have an old set laying around that you can snap up off a clearence sale. SLP wants $600 for their pipes and can kit, but at least they still make them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts