Hardcore Sledder banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
41,108 Posts
problem is none of my "crew" want to waste a day at either end of trip for travel. We pretty much need to stay within 6 hour truck ride from Sudbury. If it were up to me, and the snow conditions cooperated, I'd leave right on sled from my house...and just ride for 6 days straight and carry the minimum required.

Which might happen...if we get lucky and are able to ride from sudbury that early....some of us will likely do that option. If others don't want to we can meet them at a hotel in quebec somewhere.
6 hr's travel time? Your crew is pretty soft...tell them they have it too good. We often were in the the truck 10 hrs. plus to get to our starting point. I know of many others that took even longer to begin their ride.

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
6 hr's travel time? Your crew is pretty soft...tell them they have it too good. We often were in the the truck 10 hrs. plus to get to our starting point. I know of many others that took even longer to begin their ride.
Hard to justify long travel time when we live in northern ontario and all of us can access thousands of km of great trails right from our backyard. We are spoiled I guess.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I am not worried about getting my truck or trailer stolen at all. What I am concerned about is being 2-3 days away from my truck and have a mechanical issue with a sled. This happened to us several years ago and it ended up costing my buddy $800 to get his blown up sled back to the truck. If the truck and trailer were nearby we could have pulled out the spare sled we always carry and continue on with the ride.

This happened to us last year in Gaspe. My buddys BRAND NEW/ 0 KM 850 Doo started acting weird and running poorly. We called our chase driver and it turned out he was only 25kms from us. We dragged the downed sled to the road and waited for the chase truck to arrive. Less than 45 mins later the dead sled was in the trailer on the way to the dealer and the spare sled was on the trail.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
You guys are getting me exited. So have to chime in. Agree with Too Slow that Val d’or area can be barren and can get extremely cold as well as icy trails. Mont Laurier is better as far as weather and has more options for day loops. Both Meekos and Rabska are excellent suggestions for base camp and if your not familiar with the area they are actually closer to Sant Anne du Lac. Now I love the sled from home option. That’s what we do most of the time and I find it more interesting than staying in one spot and day looping it. You could actually investigate part of Ontario you may not have been to yet. There are lots of good crossing from Quebec to Ontario including the only snowmobile specific interprovincial bridge. It’s rail bridge converted into a snowmobile bridge. It enters Ontario south of Pembroke and from there to Sudbury would be some of the best trails in Ontario.
2CD571E6-631F-473F-97B4-45BFE7E9C980.jpeg

·
Registered
41,108 Posts
The area south around mount laurier is really nice, especially heading north on the woods runner trail all the way to parent. I could remember doing the big northern loop one season stopping in val-doe...it was extremely cold and desolate the entire day. I don't think we ran into one sled in several hrs on the trail. Its one place i wouldn't wish anyone a sled failure.

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
You guys are getting me exited. So have to chime in. Agree with Too Slow that Val d’or area can be barren and can get extremely cold as well as icy trails. Mont Laurier is better as far as weather and has more options for day loops. Both Meekos and Rabska are excellent suggestions for base camp and if your not familiar with the area they are actually closer to Sant Anne du Lac. Now I love the sled from home option. That’s what we do most of the time and I find it more interesting than staying in one spot and day looping it. You could actually investigate part of Ontario you may not have been to yet. There are lots of good crossing from Quebec to Ontario including the only snowmobile specific interprovincial bridge. It’s rail bridge converted into a snowmobile bridge. It enters Ontario south of Pembroke and from there to Sudbury would be some of the best trails in Ontario.
I have done the ride from Sudbury to pembroke a few times and you are right it is great riding. I am hoping we have deep snow conditions..only issue is the open house weekend jan 16/17 which can be hit or miss. IF we have snow, and I can convince at least one of my friends to leave right from home with me a couple days ealry...I'd ride from sudbury to pembroke, cross the bridge, and meet the rest of the group in Quebec. I have a new VR1 on order and I am determined to put on some big miles this winter!

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Funny people would tell what kind of trip you should enjoy. We took many base camp trips from PA to NY to QC. Once we started going to QC we would take an overnight from our base camp trips and I became hooked on backpacking. Turns out most most guys aren't up to it, from financially to physically etc. I personally enjoyed the challenge and the logistics planning and would do it all year long. A few years ago one of our guys was in a sled vs pickup truck crash just after the 4 Points in QC City. We had planned for him to stop riding and be our chase driver for the following years trips but it never came to be. Luggage problems! Always the damn luggage issues. Like anybody who has done years of backpacking we have lots of stories, including the returning to find out trucks gone. Love the idea of tour with a chase truck. Sure miss the spa nordiques. Me, I really like Lac Carling to 100 Lacs trip with Windigo, Rebaska, Meekos, Tremblant etc. Of course, the last time we did this we rode a hell of a lot of rocks in places. Now with the border being closed luckily we are able to base camp in Maine. Unfortunately we will most likely be cancelling our reservations to Grizzly Lodge this January.

·
Registered
41,108 Posts
And to stay overnight too....decent accommodations and the food has always been fantastic.
Could recall staying at the fer a cheval and meekoos in that region to which wasn't bad. Some of those places were more suited for fishing trips than places in the east.

·
Chicken Thumb!
890 Posts
Its not nonsense, we really dont need border-jumping to increase our issues up here with the virus, compared to the US we are much better off so far.... Thru diligence....
It is nonsense,your assuming we all have the creeping crud here in the states? That’s a rather large brush your painting with. Is it (thru diligence) or less testing?

21 - 31 of 31 Posts