Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
See that the open house next year is Jan 16th and Jan 17th 2021. I realize nothing is certain in this covid times...but with the colder weather approaching time to start planning a trip with a few buddies. Last year we saddle bagged it. This year would like to pick one central location...and do day loops from there. Any suggestions as a main spot? Would likely spend 3-4 nights there. So as well as having access to good loops, would also need some good food/accommodations.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
As of right now, and I live on the other side of the bridge bordering quebec, I wouldn't go there.
Gaspe is getting worse with the rona.
Things may change. I would do the free weekend for a day trip but not going in anywhere.

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not worried about the Rona...if trails and hotels open we will go. Very early stages of planning...but so far thinking Val D'or as base camp. None of us wants too long a drive in the truck each way.

·
Registered
41,020 Posts
Not that riding in western quebec is bad but imo, its more suited for long bag rides. Eastern quebec like st zenon, or the st raymond area are more suited for those 150-200 mile a day loops. Unfortunately so is sled and vehicle theft, so you need be smart, and use commonsense where and how you park your stuff.

·
Registered
44 Posts
If the new feeder trail opens up this year from St. Agathe to Mont
See that the open house next year is Jan 16th and Jan 17th 2021. I realize nothing is certain in this covid times...but with the colder weather approaching time to start planning a trip with a few buddies. Last year we saddle bagged it. This year would like to pick one central location...and do day loops from there. Any suggestions as a main spot? Would likely spend 3-4 nights there. So as well as having access to good loops, would also need some good food/accommodations.
tremblant you can have some nice lodging at the club vacances in tremblant, and do some real nice loops from there...

·
Registered
Coming soon 850 VR1 & 650 VR1
1,020 Posts
The Mount-Laurier region would be relatively close, has good accommodations and not a bad place to base out of with the possibility of multiple loops.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
If the new feeder trail opens up this year from St. Agathe to Mont

tremblant you can have some nice lodging at the club vacances in tremblant, and do some real nice loops from there...
What are the odds of the feeder being opened? Wasn’t there one land owner that shot this down last year?

·
Chicken Thumb!
889 Posts
Better look at border crossing info,you have to quarantine for 2 weeks,and some other nonsense. Got an email from Quebec saying they don’t know if they will let us cross,says earlier trail pass to safe money,is non refundable.

·
Registered
44 Posts
What are the odds of the feeder being opened? Wasn’t there one land owner that shot this down last year?
They have been working all week signing the new section, and bagging the signs with yellow bags, so id imagine that now all the pockets have all been sufficiently filled with "Brown envelopes" and the trail will open.... At least i hope so...:rolleyes::cautious:

Reactions: rynex

·
Registered
44 Posts
Better look at border crossing info,you have to quarantine for 2 weeks,and some other nonsense. Got an email from Quebec saying they don’t know if they will let us cross,says earlier trail pass to safe money,is non refundable.
Its not nonsense, we really dont need border-jumping to increase our issues up here with the virus, compared to the US we are much better off so far.... Thru diligence....

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Province to province maybe.

Right now I'm not allowed outside of pointe a la croix bubble.

And pointe a la croix are not allowed out of their bubble into rest of quebec.

Out of country,I doubt you'll get in.

·
Registered
44 Posts
We have non-stop Ontario's up here at tremblant, but most of them own properties here and cant be denied yet, same with new york plates, lots of Americans have properties here, although they are not snowmobilers quite the same as us...LOL... I hope we can get a handle on the Pandemic and go back to business as usual, all the restos and pubs in the region are starting to suffer pretty hard...

·
Registered
142 Posts
You didn't say if you have ridden Quebec before?
From Sudbury l would say the two choices are Val'dor area or Mont Laurier area depending what type of riding you like.

Myself l would head to Mont Laurier. Stay at either Rabaska Lodge or Mekoos Lodge.
Both great spots and lots of options for day loops.

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You didn't say if you have ridden Quebec before?
From Sudbury l would say the two choices are Val'dor area or Mont Laurier area depending what type of riding you like.

Myself l would head to Mont Laurier. Stay at either Rabaska Lodge or Mekoos Lodge.
Both great spots and lots of options for day loops.
Last year was my first time. Did la sarre, rouyn, val d'or area saddle bag trip. Hoping this year to not carry gear and just stay in one hotel and do day trips from there. Rabaska lodge looks nice, but about 7.5hr truck ride. Val D'or about 5hrs.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
We go on a tour for a week in quebec every year. We did Gaspe last year and have hired old guys to drive the truck and trailer to the next hotel or we all take a turn driving the truck for 1 day. This way we never have to carry anything on our sleds other than a couple of beers each and we have a spare sled in the trailer if required.

I am not interested in saddle bagging for a week. I hate being 2-3 days away from the truck if something bad happens and you can never carry enough stuff for a week in bags. If I was hubbing it, I would go to Val Dor or Amos. Rouyn is another option. The Forestel in Val Dor is really nice. Probably too nice for a sled trip with the boys. The Quality Inn in Rouyn is a decent place to stay and there is some decent entertainment downtown as well. :)

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
We go on a tour for a week in quebec every year. We did Gaspe last year and have hired old guys to drive the truck and trailer to the next hotel or we all take a turn driving the truck for 1 day. This way we never have to carry anything on our sleds other than a couple of beers each and we have a spare sled in the trailer if required.

I am not interested in saddle bagging for a week. I hate being 2-3 days away from the truck if something bad happens and you can never carry enough stuff for a week in bags. If I was hubbing it, I would go to Val Dor or Amos. Rouyn is another option. The Forestel in Val Dor is really nice. Probably too nice for a sled trip with the boys. The Quality Inn in Rouyn is a decent place to stay and there is some decent entertainment downtown as well. :)
Two seasons ago I ran into a group from Ontario who had an older gentleman that drove the truck and trailer from stop to stop, I meet them at a hotel at the base of Mount Sainte-Anne I think a couple of the riders in the group owned a Polaris dealership back in Ontario. By any chance this wouldn’t have been you and your group would it?

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

The Forestel in Val Dor is where we stayed one night last year. If was base out of Val Dor...I'd imagine that's where we will be staying again.

·
Registered
41,020 Posts

Imo, you'd have to have a better excuse for not wanting to bag it than worrying about your truck for a few days. I've left my truck several times for 7-8 days on the side of the main drag in la tuque or in parking lots at motels in st agathe or st jovite that had good security at times when theft was even a bigger issue. Day trip loops are ok for newbies, but if you really want to experience all quebec can offer you have to get out doing bag rides. I think if you've only ridden the trail system in that part of western quebec around val for it can be a bit desolate at times. The eastern part of quebec imo is more interesting especially north of the st lawrence.

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Imo, you'd have to have a better excuse for not wanting to bag it than worrying about your truck for a few days. I've left my truck several times for 7-8 days on the side of the main drag in la tuque or in parking lots at motels in st agathe or st jovite that had good security at times when theft was even a bigger issue. Day trip loops are ok for newbies, but if you really want to experience all quebec can offer you have to get out doing bag rides. I think if you've only ridden the trail system in that part of western quebec around val for it can be a bit desolate at times. The eastern part of quebec imo is more interesting especially north of the st lawrence.
problem is none of my "crew" want to waste a day at either end of trip for travel. We pretty much need to stay within 6 hour truck ride from Sudbury. If it were up to me, and the snow conditions cooperated, I'd leave right on sled from my house...and just ride for 6 days straight and carry the minimum required.

Which might happen...if we get lucky and are able to ride from sudbury that early....some of us will likely do that option. If others don't want to we can meet them at a hotel in quebec somewhere.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts