Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
610 miles total now on my F7. 550 of those miles yesterday and today. We started in Montmagny rode trails 5, 55 and 35. For those of you that aren't familar with trails in this region, trail 35 is a RR be trail that stretches for well over 100 miles. Once on 35, I wanted to see if the F7 would hold together. Hit 100 mph easily, and was crusing at 70-90 mph for about 40 miles yesterday and over 60 more today. The F7 is very stable and reassuring at high speed. It is only turning about 7000 at 80-83mph on the level with less than half throttle. Very free wheeling chassis, and seems to take little effort to cruise at that speeds.

Power is amazing, throttle responce is instant. Clutching spot-on. Economy is almost unbeliable! I averaged over 15mpg on the entire trip. Less than 3 quarts of oil for 550 miles! I had no problem wht the flap being sucked in, and my recoil rope is hanging in there even though I don't have a fix yet. I have been pulling the cord OVER the bars to cut down on friction and it seems to work.

The 1.375" track provides AWESOME traction on groomed trails.. The sled just picks the skis up and FLIES with even a moderate application of throttle. I don't have studs and didn't have any slipping today at all. Braking traction is also very good, as is the brake modulation.

Handling on groomed trails is SUPER. Bites well and really carves on hard trails. On looser trails, the steering is somewhat imprecise.

The ride from the SnoPro package is a bit stiffer valved than I would like. It handles the big bumps and washouts really good, but is quite rough on studder bumps.

Ergos on this sled are just perfect for me. I LOVE the hooked bars. The narrow seat is perfect, and makes it easy to shift your weight. It feels like Cat designed this sled with my body in mind. Everything fits perfect, except for the handwarmers, which are somewhat hard to adjust while riding.

Speedo/tach works well, better than I expected. I like the subdued red backlight at night, and can read the gauge and big numbers fine, but can't read the small odo readings by the dim light. Be nice if it were just a little brighter.

Fun factor? No question about it, this sled IS the fun factor. I LOVE it! :wub:

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
rob,

nice pics, glad to hear that you like your sled!

Why did you take the chrome winsheild off? did you want more protection while riding?

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Those trails look awsome. Id like to go to canada just once to what it is like. BTW what is the speed limit on Candadian trails? Do they inforce it? And what do the law enforcement agencies drive up there? I hope its some nice slow 500 Fans.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
No wonder you get 10K in a year Rob, I put 180 miles on last weekend and was glad to get that. Glad to hear you're happy with the sled so far. I'm happy with mine too! B)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I wanted the higher shield for the Quebec trails. It gets cold up there.

Quebec trails have a 70km/h (or 42mph) speed limit, but it is only enforced near bigger towns, usually with a car and radar gun set up on a fast trail near a road crossing. It's rare for anyone to get a ticket, but I've seen it happen.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by F7_Ditch_Jumper@Dec 12 2002, 10:21 PM
Rob is it just me or did you just run your f7 through the car wash... theres no dirt on it.
No, anyone that know me knows that I never wash or wax my sleds (or cars) until it's time to sell em :D
No dirt cause I'm riding in good snow ^_^

·
Registered
29 Posts
Rob, will you be posting pictures of your trip like passed
years on your home page?? I really love those ride reports with pictures. :rolleyes: :mellow:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by papi@Dec 12 2002, 10:36 PM
Rob, will you be posting pictures of your trip like passed
years on your home page?? I really love those ride reports with pictures. :rolleyes: :mellow:
Thanks, its glad to know that guys read those.

I will try to.. This trip wasn't more than just riding and driving, so I didn't get many pictures.. But I'll try to get more on my next trip :)

·
Registered
930 Posts
Originally posted by rob@Dec 12 2002, 10:04 PM
The 1.375" track provides AWESOME traction on groomed trails. I don't have studs and didn't have any slipping today at all. Braking traction is also very good
Rob, no plan for studs then? Backend ever feel loose? Marc

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Originally posted by Team Arctic@Dec 12 2002, 10:50 PM
Rob, no plan for studs then? Backend ever feel loose? Marc
No, I went studdless last year and it was nice to not have to worry about stud damage. I found that I rarely miss them. Also, studs needed for a deep lug track would never hold up to the miles I put on.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Rob do you know if there is any riding in the St George area I am heading to my house in Jackman and if there is no riding in or around Jackman then I could trailer to St George to ride. Looks like the trail up along the river are in good shape. And what NO speedo pics on 35 (540)

Have fun and think snow.

·
Registered
827 Posts
cool, rob you lucky devil,k it is nice to know that you got some good miles with no problems,mirrors look awesome,,mike :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Pullifront: I drove thru St George last Friday, only about 6 inches of snow, no signs of anyone sledding. Several hours of driving thru Canada only saw deep snow south of St Alexandre, as I was headed south to New Brunswick and Maine.
Rob: must have just missed you as I drove through. Thought of stopping in that area as looked perfect, but did not want to ride alone as it looked like no one was on all those groomed trails. They looked untouched. So I unloaded in northern maine where there were plenty of sleds.
mike

·
Premium Member
2,846 Posts
Rob, Glad the F7 lived up to its name. I am now more jealous than I have ever been!! Trails look like they are perfect.

·
Registered
142 Posts
EXCELLENT !!! Glad to hear you had a good time ! Now thats what I call PURE SWEETNESS !

1 - 20 of 51 Posts