Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning a trip to Quebec, everything I read says Auberge le Cabanon is the place to go, but, it looks like a hotel. This is my vacation, I was looking for a house to rent for a week in late February or a place that offers nice cabins in the same area.

Can anybody make suggestions as to where to stay?

And, for those thay have been, what to you suggest as far as were to go and what trail to ride?

Thank in advance

-Doug

·
Registered
571 Posts
Hi, I have stayed at LeCabanon just last year. Nice hotel, great food, gas there, and on trail. Had a great time and would suggest it. Riverrat...........

·
Registered
416 Posts
Originally posted by gdouglas8@Aug 28 2005, 02:09 PM
I'm planning a trip to Quebec, everything I read says Auberge le Cabanon is the place to go, but, it looks like a hotel. This is my vacation, I was looking for a house to rent for a week in late February or a place that offers nice cabins in the same area.

Can anybody make suggestions as to where to stay?

And, for those thay have been, what to you suggest as far as were to go and what trail to ride?

Thank in advance

-Doug
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=850806
[/quote]

Go anywhere but Le Cabanon. Dennis the owner is an asshole. And before anyone bashes me "Yes this is my opinion from personal experience".

·
Registered
6 Posts
I rode St Zenon / St Michelle area for several years and the riding was always worth the long trip from Syracuse. I have stayed at most of the places in the area and the best spot I've found is the Saw Mill condos. Call the Saw Mill steak house in St. Michelle and check it out. It's off the main drag a ways, theft has never been a problem through many stays. It is clean, quiet, can sleep many and the owners are much nicer then the owner of the Crapanon. It took a long time for us to find this hidden jewel, and had I not moved from the northeast I would not pass on this info, only 4 units are available, enjoy!

·
Registered
43,794 Posts
I can no longer understand why anyone would want to spend more than a day or two in that area. Its way over crowded, and the trails turn to garbage by mid day. My best recomendation after years of riding experience in Quebec is to plan at least a week long loop, at best 4 days. There are motels in Shawinigan, or La Tuque which are excellent places to start out of, and head north where the real snowmobilers ride.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Originally posted by Too Slow@Sep 6 2005, 04:23 PM
I can no longer understand why anyone would want to spend more than a day or two in that area. Its way over crowded, and the trails turn to garbage by mid day. My best recomendation after years of  riding experience in Quebec is to plan at least a week long loop, at best 4 days. There are motels in Shawinigan, or La Tuque which are excellent places to start out of, and head north where the real snowmobilers ride.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=862982
[/quote]

Ah ! Ah! Ah! .......never understood why Americans are so focused on Lanaudiere area, a place i am avoiding......Quebec is such a huge territory for snowmobiling.I prefer remote area with no traffic.That's where you find the best trails.And Abitibi region is one of the best area for snowmobiling in Québec.
Being from Québec.....i know what i am talking about.
:flag_canada:

·
Registered
159 Posts
I have to agree with Mid-Range. Abitibi area has incredible snowmobiling. The trails are smoother than highways. Just tape the throttle to the handlebars and hold on!! :beerchug:

Attachments

·
Registered
43,794 Posts
Yeah...I can agree with that area also, we did a couple loops in past years from St Jovite to Rouyn Noranda and Val d Or. Probably some of the best riding ever too. Personally I've found little to find fault with in the Mt Valins area, its superb. I can poke around for days in places I haven't seen before on those local trails, plus hardly see another sled all day if not longer. Gaspesie is awesome also, but you gotta watch the weather....seems everytime we have a go for a trip, the conditions completely change making for a shortened ride.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
If you are planning to go to LeCabanon you better read zenwaiter.com and trailconditions.com/quebec. Last years double murders and arson at the place next door should tell you something about the organized crime in the area. Over 700 sled, trucks and trailers stolen in the last 3 years. The owner, Dennis is a suspect in the crime. Go to the Le Refuge memorial page and see the pictures!
There is a major move to ban the area until it is cleaned up.
My club usually goes to Cabanon for new years with 9 families, but all reservations have been cancelled. If you go, bring a big lock, don't trust the security and don't stop from canadian border to the area. Real Masse is a better, safer place, better food but no pool. Be informed. I will ride from Safarimotel for the memorial ride for Al & Danny but will avoid the area. We moved our new years eve trip west to Ontario and do some great riding in Maine. even looking to do the Gaspie tour this year.

Stay away from Le Cabanon...pass it on. Could tell you much more about the area, but have concern for my own families safety when it comes to that area.

·
Registered
5,462 Posts
Originally posted by Too Slow@Sep 6 2005, 05:23 PM
I can no longer understand why anyone would want to spend more than a day or two in that area. Its way over crowded, and the trails turn to garbage by mid day. My best recomendation after years of  riding experience in Quebec is to plan at least a week long loop, at best 4 days. There are motels in Shawinigan, or La Tuque which are excellent places to start out of, and head north where the real snowmobilers ride.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=862982
[/quote]
This is the way we ride even if only going to Maine, never stay at the same town 2 days, get a map, and plan for 200-250 miles a day do a nice big loop , see the whole damn area , trust me on this one, once ya start riding like that nothing else comes close

·
Registered
56 Posts
I stayed at Auberge Le Cabenon last January 19-20, 2005 and found the place to be quite accomodating. There was a decent restaurant, pool, Jacuzzi, bar etc. There was a large pen to put sleds in at night as security. On a down note, the trails were crowded for the first 75 miles leaving the place during mid week. It was scary at times since there were obviously several newbies among them. Overall it was a place where I would return, but never on a weekend. Enjoy.

Doug-
Easton, Massachusetts

·
Registered
43,794 Posts
Originally posted by FIREATAK@Sep 10 2005, 02:54 PM
If you are planning to go to LeCabanon you better read zenwaiter.com and trailconditions.com/quebec. Last years double murders and arson at the place next door should tell you something about the organized crime in the area. Over 700 sled, trucks and trailers stolen in the last 3 years. The owner, Dennis is a suspect in the crime. Go to the Le Refuge memorial page and see the pictures!
My club usually goes to Cabanon for new years with 9 families, but all reservations have been cancelled. If you go, bring a big lock, don't trust the security and don't stop from canadian border to the area. Real Masse is a better, safer place, better food but no pool. Be informed. I will ride from Safarimotel for the memorial ride for Al & Danny but will avoid the area. We moved our new years eve trip west to Ontario and do some great riding in Maine. even looking to do the Gaspie tour this year.

Stay away from Le Cabanon...pass it on. Could tell you much more about the area, but have concern for my own families safety when it comes to that area.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=868761
[/quote]
If going to Gaspie... be prepared to ride your butt off to make the miles you could in years past....last season the trails there were so tight you couldn't make time anywhere. I guess the clubs wanted to curb speeding. I think the trails were better years before.

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
Originally posted by Too Slow@Sep 22 2005, 05:53 PM
If going to Gaspie... be prepared to ride your butt off to make the miles you could in years past....last season the trails there were so tight you couldn't make time anywhere. I guess the clubs wanted to curb speeding. I think the trails were better years before.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=887553
[/quote]

Hey Too Slow

Funny; I made the exact same comment at the end of our Gaspesie ride last February! I hadn't ridden the Gaspe since 2000 and really noticed that the endless straight-a-ways were almost all gone.

10-4 on the intentional effort by the Clubs to knock down on the speed.

Still a great place to ride; but the 300 - 350 mile days of old are pretty hard to accomplish, eh?

timbo

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Originally posted by FIREATAK@Sep 10 2005, 02:54 PM

[/quote]

Agree with you 100 percent about The Real Massa. Foods good, accomodations are nice and the whole thing is cheap. You are away from the hole cabanon mess. Owners are very personable. :div20:

·
Registered
122 Posts
Stayed at Real Massee last Feb. for 4 days. Nice rooms, good food, and very helpfull. The cabins were not as nice as the rooms, had one double bed and one pullout sofa bed, not to comfie. They didnt tell us the cabin had a sofa bed, but we didnt ask either, assumed when told it had 2 beds they were both regular beds...other then that, nice place. They also have a secure sled coral.
Have reservations for day after x-mass for the week...Marry x-mass to me :smiley-faces7:

·
Registered
207 Posts
So I gather there is generally adequate snow in the Real Masse area to ride between Xmas and New Years? Planning to head North with my son who is in the Army stationed in Germany. We want to get some serious riding in before he goes back to Iraq for round # 2.

·
Registered
11,075 Posts
Originally posted by FIREATAK@Sep 10 2005, 03:54 PM

[/quote]

Put me down for agreeing with this post. Too crowded, and some very sinister suspicions about this guy. Not to mention, it's probably the most crowded area of Quebec with an absolutely rediculous theft rate. Countless horror stories. I was at the Springfield Sled Expo yesterday, and they had a booth. I was looking for a resort to book 10-15 families for our annual vacation. That would be the last place I'd go.

·
Registered
122 Posts
According to some people i talked to St Zenon area has good riding from mid Nov. on. So im keeping my fingers crossed for week after X-mass :smiley-faces7:

·
Registered
43,794 Posts
Originally posted by F6blackcat@Oct 17 2005, 10:43 PM
According to some people i talked to St Zenon area has good riding from mid Nov. on.  So im keeping my fingers crossed for week after X-mass :smiley-faces7:
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=936732
[/quote]
Good luck the week after Xmas....it will be packed in that area if the have enough snow....its even more rare around mid-November...most trails in that area aren't even open yet.. Why not go the extra miles to Mt. Valin region...you won't regret it.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts