Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started my sled tonight and the EGT gauge PTO side read 1350 right after being started, the other side read normal at about 125. Switched thermo couplers and got the same readings. I then unhooked my gauge and wired it to a 12v battery and the readings went to normal both MAG and PTO. Checked the voltage at the wiring coming out of my polaris voltage reg/rec and was reading 10.7 volts so not near enough voltage. Has anyone ever experienced anything like this before???

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
701 Posts
I had the same problem with my pyro and did the same thing. Through process of elimination, you can conclude that the guage is bad. If the problem did not move when you switched probes it means that the guage is not reading the input from the thermocouple correctly. Why...who knows?

·
Premium Member
15,688 Posts
Get a Digatron. I run mine on the accessory plug AC voltage with no issues. :dunno:

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Heres the thing that really boggles my mind. Hook it up to the 12v power supply on the sled it doesn't work correctly. Everything else does work like it should, Hook it to the 12v isolated battery and the gauge works as it should. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
No Battery on his sled......

Does the gauge work properly after the sled runs for a few seconds. Is the speedo slow to light up/correspond to the wrong reading. The voltage is rpm dependant.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
The sled has AC current, but the EFI fuel pumps and power valves are DC like a battery. So hook it up to DC and see what happens??

I sell there gauges and they have been good about replacing gauges. So you might want to call Hoyt Gauges and see what happens.

Good luck.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well your going to shit green apples when I tell you what it was I found........After going round and round I came to the conclusion it was a thermocoupler. The temp read out problem followed the thermocoupler. I unzip tied the thermocoupler wiring and took off all the electrical tape and took an ohms reading. They both measured the same...how odd....I then hooked them both back up and DAMN if it wasn't working correctly. At first I thought one thing they tell you is NOT to over tighten the thermocouplers which is what I had thought I did. SO, I put it all back together, put the elctrical tape on a chaffed part of the thermocoupler wiring and ziptied it all back together........BE DAMNED if it WAS NOT working now. Took it ALL back apart and one at a time started putting it back together and then starting it. Put the gauges in place and started, working fine. Zip tied the cables into place and started, working fine, Put electrical tape on the chaffed thermocoupler wiring and started...NOT FINE, took the tape off and started. worked fine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!........The chaffed outter wiring mesh when taped was pressing that wire which GROUNDED the wire into the wiring below causing it to be grounded!
Thank god this is over!
Thanks for your advice and help guys, I appreciate it more then you know

1 - 12 of 12 Posts