Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After an amazing winter with my new best friend, my green F7 standard (don't tell my wife & kids I said that), I want to ensure that I store it properly for the summer. We've had a great winter in Ontario, but the thaw started in full force last weekend. I've only done 1,100 miles (sorry to let you down Rob) but (despite the recalls) they were the best 1,100 miles I've ever had the chance to ride.

I've heard I should fill the tank with gas & stabilizer and I've heard I should drain the tank - which is it?

How many grease fittings are there and how do I locate them?

I know how to fog carbs on my 3 other sleds but what do I do for the EFI?

Should I losen the track?

Is there a book I can get?

Should I just take it to the dealer to summerize?

What else should I know?

I will appreciate all directions/advice?

I can't wait for next winter! :(

·
Registered
242 Posts
There was a pretty good article in last months snow goer or city sledder, I can't remember which that gave a good breakdown of everything but how to fog the efi. I'm interested in the responses to that question also.

·
Registered
481 Posts
ive heard to drain the tank, because gas gets old and loses octane the day you buy it, but then wont you get moisture in there from the temp change? i dont know, we try to leave the least possible

·
Administrator
20,829 Posts
That was the story I used to go by with carb'd sleds too Catkid. But with the fuelies I think it's a different story. You want to keep enough gas in the tank to keep your fuel pump covered (that's the rumor I've heard anyway). I'll plan on throwing some Stabil in and will pour a touch of oil into the cylinders. Probably will throw some kind of rag or something into the exhaust to keep the mice out too, and obviously pull the belt. On top of that I'll keep it on a stand to keep the pressure off the track and shocks.

Anyone else have ideas to share?

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I used to put a rag in my exhaust, but figured a cloth rag isn't going to stop a mouse...I just put DCon around the walls in the shed, stops 'em cold!

·
Registered
575 Posts
How about for carbs? SHould I drain the gas and what about fogging the carbs? How do I do that? Can oil and coolant stay in and when I pull it back out for winter what else should I do to get it runnin again?

·
Registered
978 Posts
ive been taught to always store ur tank about 3/4 or full... fuel stabilizer is good... but we run the sleds all the time in the summer tuning them for winter so we never really did it...

we never really summerize or store them

·
Registered
8,701 Posts
my 97 is the first yr batteryless fuelie... i plug the exhaust with steal wool, add a little stabilizer. and i run it every month at least during the summer. have never had a problem with the efi. plus i get to kill some mosquitos once a month when she starts lol

·
Registered
580 Posts
I just did the Zl and the Firecat is next. I pull the drain plug and change the fluid in the chaincase, grease all zerks, stabil the fuel, pour a cap full of 30w into the cylinders. EFI is soo much easier.

Attachments

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the ideas everyone.

Are there grease fitting I should be attending to? If so, where?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts