Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Indy Adventure 850 137"
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'll eventually be getting a truck, but for the coming season I'd like to purchase a 6x12 v nose and pull it with my 2010 Audi A4. Its an all-wheel drive 2.0 turbo with snow tires and a hitch that can't exceed 2000 lbs. My main concern is ground clearance on the car. Any thoughts are appreciated.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
like all things, I am SURE you can do it
but do you really want too??

I gather the low tow rating is due to many things on the vehicle side, and typically the ratings are given in ideal conditions
add snow ice and?? depending where your towing too , how far, long, how steep UP and down hills your going to be going and so on!

life many times is a gamble, and as such, its NOT something I would do, but that Me!

if I HAD to do this, I really think I would have brakes on the trailer and a brake controller added to the vehicle, I DOUBT there are any easy kits to do so, but gather it is possible if one really wanted too, adding brakes would add a lot of stopping safety
winter sure brings out a lot of bad drivers , so being able to stop well is important to me!

·
Registered
4,258 Posts
Way back in the late 80s early 90s I towed a 2 place trailer hauling two sleds (88 Eltigre 6000 and a Polaris Indy trail) with an 82 Chevy Celebrity with a 2.8l motor.
Not the best rig to tow with but it worked and got me to northern Maine without issue.
Later on I got a GMC-Jimmy with a 4.3l.
So much better.

Jeff B In Maine

Sent via my US Cellular rotary dial device.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
An open trailer isn't out of the question but I'd rather have it more protected. The V would put me around 1800 lbs with the sled. I'd rather do a 10ft trailer but my sled is just over that with the rear flap

·
Registered
2021 XCR Switchback 850
2,423 Posts
A v-nose is a lot heavier then that.
True - but that's a steel framed trailer with a surge hitch and brakes, so there's a little weight to it. Obviously almost zero wind resistance as well. It all comes down to balance and good tires in the winter, and of course taking your time and avoiding panic braking situations.

·
Registered
44,410 Posts
Thats a relativity heavy trailer for a car to be pulling by the op, but i think they will be ok. All i can say i recently picked up an aluminum 5x10 utility trailer converting it to a haul my sled. I have a new tacoma 4wd its really not noticeable pulling it. I also tow a 2k lb boat and change with gear....thats where you being to realize your towing something.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Go with an open 2 place aluminum and put a snow shield on it. Place the sled in the center of the trailer. It will stay very clean this way. But a cover is still what I'd use with it. 2 place is about 500-550 lbs.

·
Registered
407 Posts
My 2010 mazda 3 says in the manual that it wasnt supposed to be used
for towing, bought a trailer hitch etc and towed my single sled trailer with my
polaris indy. No issues whatsoever towing, i now use a mazda cx-5. Use etrailer.com
they have alot of good info on that site.

·
Registered
4,568 Posts
a4 will do that with no problem. issue is like was said. if you run into deep snow on the road you will be plowing it. that car is like a bulldozer but will find limits. i sold my a4 to a friend, once he quit driving it he used it as a field car. he was amazed at the stuff that car would go through, but the limitation was ground clearance...

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Just fine....though I would keep speeds 65mph or less......the enclosed trailers become sails at higher speeds and that car might be too light to counter-act it.

btw I pulled a 2-place clamshell with an AWD Pacifica years ago and that was one of the easiest trips I’ve ever had....

·
Registered
44,410 Posts
Go with an open 2 place aluminum and put a snow shield on it. Place the sled in the center of the trailer. It will stay very clean this way. But a cover is still what I'd use with it. 2 place is about 500-550 lbs.
Snow shield is a great idea that keeps most of the crap off the sled but you still need a cover at least for the windshield. Found that out on my first trip out last winter. I fabricated a snow shield to fit the 5x10, but really need a cover for full protection. I got spoiled driving my sled into bed of my old full size truck. Its truly the best way to go while keeping the sled high and dry.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah, the open trailer with a salt shield is my Plan B I guess. I'd really love to be able to keep everything clean and dry though. And being able to install some hooks and hang gear would be beautiful. But man are they expensive!

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Yeah, the open trailer with a salt shield is my Plan B I guess. I'd really love to be able to keep everything clean and dry though. And being able to install some hooks and hang gear would be beautiful. But man are they expensive!
Just get a 2-place clam-shell drive-on/drive off. Much better in the cross-winds. In-lines are overrated in my book. If I didn’t need to pull 4-5 sleds I’d go back to a clam-shell in a heartbeat......plus 2 sleds and a clamshell will weigh under 2,000 pounds so just about anything with AWD will tow that with no problem.......

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
an 8.5 wide deck and a car, will get tricky with mirror's and adding any salt shield that does any good, will block your view, even with a sled in the middle!
I am just providing info here again NO bash meant!

SO again, keep in mind,
That what one can do and get away with , has a LOT to do with HOW far one is towing and what the terrain its towing , and conditions!
(also keep in mind all over the tire decks ride HIGHER and get more air under them, and then you have to worry about getting correct hitch set up to keep trailer level and correct tongue weight), as cars sit VERY low as to trucks ! and having this trailer level and correct tongue weight gets much more important when dealing with close to MAX tow ratings

and then there is the FACT< a lot of cars transmissions can handle smaller loads on easy roads and short distance's
but start taxing your trans on long hills and many of them for many miles, and you will soon find a weak link in things
this is why they give things tow ratings
also the LEGAL side of things, get into an accident and be over your CGVW on things and you can soon find out your insurance won't pay for damages and you can be legally liable for things!
NO one PLANS an accident, but they do happen!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
an 8.5 wide deck and a car, will get tricky with mirror's and adding any salt shield that does any good, will block your view, even with a sled in the middle!
I am just providing info here again NO bash meant!

SO again, keep in mind,
That what one can do and get away with , has a LOT to do with HOW far one is towing and what the terrain its towing , and conditions!
(also keep in mind all over the tire decks ride HIGHER and get more air under them, and then you have to worry about getting correct hitch set up to keep trailer level and correct tongue weight), as cars sit VERY low as to trucks ! and having this trailer level and correct tongue weight gets much more important when dealing with close to MAX tow ratings

and then there is the FACT< a lot of cars transmissions can handle smaller loads on easy roads and short distance's
but start taxing your trans on long hills and many of them for many miles, and you will soon find a weak link in things
this is why they give things tow ratings
also the LEGAL side of things, get into an accident and be over your CGVW on things and you can soon find out your insurance won't pay for damages and you can be legally liable for things!
NO one PLANS an accident, but they do happen!
Yes, some good points. I live on a snowmobile trail but don't always have enough snow to ride. I'd be traveling several times per winter to Tug Hill and the Adirondack mountains here in Upstate NY, which is 3 or 4 hours each way. I do think I'd be uncomfortable hauling a 2 place clam, given the width in relation to my car. A single place clamshell would be nice and light and would allow me to use only one spot in my 2 car garage, although perhaps not as stable on the road. I'd really like a 6x12 v nose, though, if I can find a lighter one at a reasonable price

1 - 20 of 107 Posts