Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what the pro's and con's anre for the Firecat F5 and what the top speed is and if its a good sled for a 16 year old and if they are better then Yamaha.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Top speed depends on lots of variables, mine topped at 96 that is with sno pro track on hardpack snow, unstudded.

Pro's... its light, manageable, got great midrange, runs like a demon in the trails. The suspension puts my 98Vmax to shame.

Con's.... the throttle lever is tough on the thumb, I like the efi on the F7 much better, the F5 is loud when you are driving it, and it likes it's oil. Much improved after the oil pump adjusted and rejetted.

I don't see why it wouldn't make you a nice sled, and if you are hooked on the efi wait for a 2004, maybe it will be available on the 500 as well.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Well said, I've been able to get 102 out of mine under perfect conditions. It's a very light and agile, a fun sled in the trails. And it loves oil.

·
Registered
530 Posts
well i am 17 turning 18 in a week i love the sled i am a ditchbanger for sure and the sled does have a few cons taht i have noticed and that is the servo and apv cables thats the only real problems i have had with mine but that is still an easy fix. Another Con would be though if he likes just riding trails get the standard version cuz the snopro does give you a beating just riding trails all day. I know i am young and all but i have been sore after a few rides all day on trails.I dont think the throttle is that stiff i mean it doesnt bother me really after riding it for a while and yes i agree oil is a thing this sled likes to drink. But all i do is throw a quart in the trunk and whenever i top off i top off the oil and usually i dont use teh whole quart while i will take almost a full tank of gas. It depends how rich everything is set up too. Maybe the 04s will be better but if u are interested in an 03 im might be selling mine just pm if u are interested. And ill give you more info on it.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Hey guys mine read 115mph i did it like 8 times only when i raced, against sxviper with mbrp silencer clutch kit, delta 3's- beat that. XC 600 with slp boost bottle and a rumble pack silencer- beat that- XC 600 with mbrp silencer and delta 2's geared for top end-beat that-beat a whole bunch of 550's beat an srx 700 my best friends it was studded too beat him by 2 sleds when we started on sheer ice he beat me by 2 sleds i beat that sxviper 3 times because no one believed i beat it and i had to prove it 3 times beat another srx unstudded by 4 sleds dont ask me how. mines all stock!! across a flat nice snow packed 2 mile lagoon.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My oil consumption is pretty modest. Easily do 100-120 miles at a time and still what looks like half the reservoir left. In 1100 miles so far this year, I have only burned about 2 1/4 gallons. I have not touched the pump at all.

·
Registered
196 Posts
its a nice sled but MAN DOES SHE LIKE TO DRINK OIL and i wish it had a little more power but its only a 500 so better not complain

1 - 7 of 7 Posts