Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Im debating on studding my track.

With the fuse 9 will i need additional protection for the bulk head? What else will I need besides the studs?

Also will 144 be enough ? (1.25) ripsaw track.

·
Registered
90 Posts
So Im debating on studding my track.

With the fuse 9 will i need additional protection for the bulk head? What else will I need besides the studs?

Also will 144 be enough ? (1.25) ripsaw track.[/b]

You will have to install tunnel protectors before you stud it, if you have not already. I used 144 woody's up the middle and have not had any problems.

·
Registered
45 Posts
dont mean to hijack thread but i got 96 with double backer and no extra protection is that bad and where do get protection and how much?

thanks

·
Registered
832 Posts
i went 144 down the middle also in a v pattern and it hooks pretty sweet!!

·
Registered
90 Posts
dont mean to hijack thread but i got 96 with double backer and no extra protection is that bad and where do get protection and how much?
thanks[/b]

You can order the tunnel protectors from your dealer, they are not very expensive, i don't remember how much. I do remember of all the things i have done to my sled, they were the least expensive by far. 96 studs huh?? are you hooking up ok with that setup?

·
Registered
45 Posts
You can order the tunnel protectors from your dealer, they are not very expensive, i don't remember how much. I do remember of all the things i have done to my sled, they were the least expensive by far. 96 studs huh?? are you hooking up ok with that setup?[/b]

thanks ill look into it, im hookin up good enough on the trails but when i get on it it does spin but i also dont want to have to deal with pulled studs so ive got 96 woodys double backers with tall nuts

·
Registered
116 Posts
I would go with 168 studs any less and you will risk tear-outs more. Here are some pics of my studs, Fast-Trak 1.375" SS with Airlite XL backers. Keep the studs out of the middle of the track since it is unsupported. This pattern hooks up real nice.

[attachment=411841:studs1.jpg]
[attachment=411842:studs2.jpg]
[attachment=411843:studs3.jpg]

·
Registered
86 Posts
I use 96 down the middle with tunnel protectors and duel backers never had a problem, hooks up fine. you could have five hundred picks and the 900 will still spin the track. To many picks is added rotating weight and more likely to tear out especially if you run them on the outside. just my .02,

·
Registered
336 Posts
I think 144 down the middle. Protectors are a must, mine show track marks rubbed on them. There may be some truth behind nothing down the exact middle, but there is nothing on the outside of that area as well? I wish this skid could fit wheels in there to apply more downward pressure. I know this has been tried by other members with limited success. Studding the outside may help with hookup on straights, but hinders cornering if you like to throw the back-end out when cornering. If it wasn't for icy braking benefits of studs, I didn't see that much benifit for the added cost. My 2 cents.[attachment=412153:studding...__Small_.jpg]

·
Registered
90 Posts
I think 144 down the middle. Protectors are a must, mine show track marks rubbed on them. There may be some truth behind nothing down the exact middle, but there is nothing on the outside of that area as well? I wish this skid could fit wheels in there to apply more downward pressure. I know this has been tried by other members with limited success. Studding the outside may help with hookup on straights, but hinders cornering if you like to throw the back-end out when cornering. If it wasn't for icy braking benefits of studs, I didn't see that much benifit for the added cost. My 2 cents.[attachment=412153:studding...__Small_.jpg][/b]

My major concern when studding is braking and control on ice. 144 works fine and i have had no problems, but use the tall nuts, not the standard nuts that come with the studs. I know a few guys that have put a set of inside wheels on thier sleds, some have worked great, some have had some problems. I left mine alone, the track seems to be the one area on this sled i really do not need to mess with.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts