Hardcore Sledder banner
481 - 500 of 501 Posts

·
Premium Member
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #484 ·

Here's a pic of the finished product. I never got to test drive it because we never received enough snow here in northern Illinois. And I know this doesn't really indicate anything, but the engine revs quicker with this new system in place. The reason why I'm building this new exhaust is to try and eliminate the cracking that occurs with the system that comes on the sled as delivered. It was revealed to me, by someone deep within the Redline family, that they were never able to make the exhaust work on this machine. I just can't understand why they weren't able to succeed in that department when you look at what they were able to create as a whole. When looking at other machines and how their exhaust system is designed, I noticed that the Redline was missing a lot of design cues found elsewhere within the industry. So I developed an exhaust that has a more streamlined manifold. I purposely made a long tube coming off the manifold that leads up to the expansion-part of the pipe. And, I decreased the diameter of the pipe where the exhaust leaves the expansion- section (otherwise referred to as the outlet). If you go back and look at the pictures I previously posted regarding the exhaust that came stock on the machine, you'll notice my new pipe is totally different in every way. We will see if this new direction fixes the inherent problem that comes with this machine. I tried to mimic the exhaust systems you find on Arctic Cats & Polaris 800's from years past.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #489 ·
Next on the docket......a new muffler. The original muffler is just for show I believe. Why do I say that? Because if you inspect the internals, there is no effort put forth to handle the high flow of exhaust. Inside that muffler is nothing more than a heavy gauge screen/netting. It's all wadded-up and shoved in there. My sled runs really well until you try to operate it past half throttle. At that point it feels like it's being held back by restrictive exhaust flow. So I will be working on that muffler issue next. I already have something in mind and I'm looking forward to trying it.

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
Really seems like Redline had no idea of what they were doing designing and engineering a snowmobile.

I wonder how much money was spent in total on this snowmobile project?

Hats off to the Karpiks for building a well engineered reliable snowmobile with great handling and ride quality right out of the box...

·
Premium Member
19,534 Posts
Really seems like Redline had no idea of what they were doing designing and engineering a snowmobile.

Hats off to the Karpiks for building a well engineered reliable snowmobile with great handling and ride quality right out of the box...
Redline had many very good ideas. I've talked to several who were involved in them. One of the best was when they separated the clutch from the engine. Another was a separate water pump driven by the clutch. Another was rack-mounted 44 mm roundslide carbs.

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
Redline had many very good ideas. I've talked to several who were involved in them. One of the best was when they separated the clutch from the engine. Another was a separate water pump driven by the clutch. Another was rack-mounted 44 mm roundslide carbs.
Yes agree some good ideas but couldn't make it work...

Their drive clutch to engine coupler some owners claim it wont last much more than 50 miles?

Seems the sled chassis design and engine design were still plagued with problems at their release...

Definitely a cool sled I always liked them...

·
Registered
5,282 Posts

·
Premium Member
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #496 ·
Sticking "some-other" motor in that chassis isn't as easy as you think. The Redline motor is narrow. The recoil on other motors won't fit without cutting the chassis. You'd have to eliminate the side - mounted fuel tank. And then there's the clutch/primary gear/ support plate thingy. And don't forget, the cylinders lean forward to make way for the exhaust. You might as well as just keep it the way it is. Of course you have to "finish" what they started. Like I did. I've ridden mine for ten years. It hasn't broke yet....

·
Premium Member
19,534 Posts
The Redline chassis can be made to accept almost any engine IMO. Just a matter of reworking the chassis. At one time, one of the first Redline dealers, Micro Belmont in Grand Rapids, MI, told me that they planned to build their own Redline chassis and install Cat engines in them.

·
Premium Member
19,534 Posts

This Snow Tech article is the best info I've read so far about the Redline. Shows many details:

·
Premium Member
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #499 ·
That roller might be a great candidate for a Frankenstein sled. The two I have will remain "as is". I can't even imagine cutting up that clutch support/ secondary drive assembly. That rubber cushion in the coupler can be replaced with a poly unit. Lock the motor in place to restrict the rocking of the engine. Good to go. But if you wanna cut one up, there is that roller.....LOL

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
This Snow Tech article is the best info I've read so far about the Redline. Shows many details:
Further reinforces to me what the Karpiks achieved! They designed and built a snowmobile (the Blade) with a much smaller budget and only a handful of people. Their sled chassis is still considered to be one of the best handling sleds today, and it offers great ride quality with Karpiks suspension designs... It's also been proven to be durable and reliable daily rider.

481 - 500 of 501 Posts