Hardcore Sledder banner

421 - 440 of 472 Posts

·
Premium Member
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #422
Here’s a picture of my original issue catalog that I picked up at one of the snowmobile shows back in the early 2000’s. Redline used to attend the show in Illinois and the show in Milwaukee every fall. I got this brochure from the show in Grayslake Illinois. The printed article is of the only black Redline in existence. It is owned by the gentleman I get all my parts from. The stickers are brand new and can be found on the hood of the snowmobile. I got these from a guy in Canada whose wife used to work at the plant that printed them for Redline.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
This topic may have been covered in the other 43 pages here (which I have forgotten but have time now to read/lockdown and all) but do we know what ever happened to the 1300cc/200HP prototype:

"Unlike other brands that first issued press releases and showed drawings, Redline appeared at its first public event with two fully assembled snowmobiles; one featuring a 200 hp, 1300cc, two-stroke triple"

·
Premium Member
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #425
Here’s a pic of my “Show” engine. It has chrome fasteners and two different “finishes”, making the engine “multi-colored”. Extremely rare and almost priceless....(to me anyway)

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
So fill us in....have you made much progress on the Redline's in 2020?

Do you have any goals to get either one ready for a trip on the trail next season?

Can I bring you some beer? I'll make sure we are at least 6ft apart & I will bring my own clorox wipes (to wipe down the sleds after I sit on them of course):roflmao:

·
Premium Member
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #428
It’s almost too pretty to run. That coupler has a purple hue to it. All the other couplers I have care black. I don’t have the other half. Sure would like to have it....!

·
Premium Member
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #429
The gentleman I get my parts from had possession of the big triple. It was just a showpiece and never really actually ran. It didn’t even have a drive system fitted to it. He sold it a long time ago to some guy in Sweden or Switzerland?

·
Premium Member
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #431
I’m really not sure if I wanna drive the “show” sled. The “production” sled gets ridden every year here at home when it snows. Taking it up north would require a huge trailer and a secure place to store it while not being ridden. When the gang and I go north, we are bringing trailers full of sleds and eager beavers that wanna pile on the miles. Staying at motels and such isn’t the ideal situation for the Redline. The ideal situation for taking the Redline up north would involve a big trailer and just one or two other guys that don’t mind spending the time parading the machine through the Northwoods. We were “oh-so -close”a couple years ago. But then it all blew up in our faces. We lost the secure location for basing our trip out of. The big truck broke down so we couldn’t haul the big trailer. A couple of the guys involved have moved out of state. But I am putting a game plan together to try and do it again.

·
Premium Member
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #432
Do you have a favorite (of the two)?

Or is it like with kids, you really do but you'd never admit it?:laff:

It’s hard to have a favorite because they are so different from one another. One is extremely rare and pretty and unique. The other one is a production sled meant to be ridden. That’s why I have two.

·
Premium Member
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #433
The real problem is none of us are retired millionaires. We all work. We have families. We do other things like street bikes, dirt bikes, hot rods. I have a full-time job plus a power sports repair business. A lot of my time is spent working on other people stuff. I’m not trying to make excuses. It’s just we need more hours in the day and more days in the week. And a couple extra dollars would help!At least we are now empty-nesters. And this new collection of sledders are more interested in filming the Redline and committing their time and effort to the cause.

·
Premium Member
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #434
There’s a story I never told before regarding trying to get the machine registered here in Illinois. They would not issue me a sticker because the sled did not show up in their database as being an existing model. So, I’ve been riding it here in Illinois without a sticker, due to the identification problem they have. They asked me if I built it. I told them no. I tried to explain the situation regarding the machine. But the government and the people working for it are not that bright and can’t comprehend what I’m trying to say and what the situation is.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
I’m really not sure if I wanna drive the “show” sled. The “production” sled gets ridden every year here at home when it snows. Taking it up north would require a huge trailer and a secure place to store it while not being ridden. When the gang and I go north, we are bringing trailers full of sleds and eager beavers that wanna pile on the miles. Staying at motels and such isn’t the ideal situation for the Redline. The ideal situation for taking the Redline up north would involve a big trailer and just one or two other guys that don’t mind spending the time parading the machine through the Northwoods. We were “oh-so -close”a couple years ago. But then it all blew up in our faces. We lost the secure location for basing our trip out of. The big truck broke down so we couldn’t haul the big trailer. A couple of the guys involved have moved out of state. But I am putting a game plan together to try and do it again.

Well I have a 27ft enclosed/drive on/drive off (could lock it up at night) and would be willing to do a ride with you sometime....It would be like getting a chance to hang out in the presence of Elvis for a weekend:roflmao:

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
There’s a story I never told before regarding trying to get the machine registered here in Illinois. They would not issue me a sticker because the sled did not show up in their database as being an existing model. So, I’ve been riding it here in Illinois without a sticker, due to the identification problem they have. They asked me if I built it. I told them no. I tried to explain the situation regarding the machine. But the government and the people working for it are not that bright and can’t comprehend what I’m trying to say and what the situation is.

You might be better off telling them you built it and give them receipts? they might just want to collect some sales tax money from the transactions?

Or since it has a VIN, let me register it for you in Michigan so I can get you papers:roflmao:

About 15 years ago I built a snowbike kit myself, showed them the motorcycle receipts and parts receipts and receipts from the prototyping shop....They used the vin from the motorcycle to create a snowmobile vin and gave me the registration (I had to battle with them over the book definition of a snowmobile. Steering ski (front) and track (rear) at the time, I think it has been updated since). I did have to pay them some type of tax too but don't remember (it wasn't much).

I also have a contact in PA that owes a Yamaha dealership and also owns a Redline...he might be able to help (Register it in PA then a transfer to IL)?

·
Premium Member
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #437
Both of my machines have registrations (one from Michigan, the other, Wisconsin). Here in Illinois, if it doesn’t show up on their computer, they “lock-up” and don’t know how to proceed. Too many people nowadays rely on computers!

·
Premium Member
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #438
Here in Illinois, the DMV will defer to the DNR, when they get confused and refuse to proceed with determining legality of equipment. I’ve had the DNR here before checking out bikes, sleds,etc...
Sometimes customers abandon their sled or bike because it’s not worth them fixing it (cost of repair exceeds value of vehicle). I have them checked out for being stolen before I assume ownership. Doesn’t happen that often, but it happens....
I’ll prolly have to get them involved.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Amazing thread! Like everyone else I fell in love with Redline when they were announced. I was able to see the real thing at a local Cat dealer in Vt. Not long after Redline and the Cat dealer went out of businesses.

If a person was interested in purchasing a Revolt where would be the best place to look?

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Amazing thread! Like everyone else I fell in love with Redline when they were announced. I was able to see the real thing at a local Cat dealer in Vt. Not long after Redline and the Cat dealer went out of businesses.

If a person was interested in purchasing a Revolt where would be the best place to look?
You will need to spend $8k to $9k to get one...I know of a couple PM me.....

421 - 440 of 472 Posts