Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 443 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Project REDLINE begins. I bought this thing in November from the original owner. It has 10 miles on it. After tearing it down and getting a good look, I believe the posted mileage. I'm gonna ride this sled. I wasn't sure at first, but now I've decided the value of the sled is subjective. Lots of people think Redlines are junk, and very few treasure them. I'm tearing it down to correct some issues that could cause immediate breakdowns. I'm not sure if I'm gonna try and make it run like an 800 at first. I think I'll just try it as is, and go from there. Here's some pics, with more to follow. If you're aware of some of the issues this sled has, you'll notice some things that prove this sled has no real miles on it.

Attachments

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The first concerns I will address will be insulating the exhaust with header wrap tape and applying heat tape to various areas on the sled. The oil tank and the underside of the seat will be insulated. The exhaust is known for cracking. I was surprised how rigid the expansion was after removing ALL the springs. Gonna experiment and see if I can "loosen it up" a little. I am gonna install an F7 pipe at some point. Not now. I noticed a baffle in the expansion chamber. I'm gonna shim down the Bassani muffler for heat control and gain hand clearance at the rear bumper.

Attachments

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow nice sled... why did he never ride it?
I asked him the same question. He rode it from the shop to his cabin. Rode it again down to the lake, he said. Once there, it got so much attention, he drove it back to the cabin. Everybody wanted to ride it. They wanted to race him, etc. Once you actually own one, a number of emotions and thoughts flood your mind. "What to do with it" goes over and over in your mind. It kinda paralyzes ya. Unless of course you're the kind of person that doesn't recognize how special a machine is. Or can be. Maybe I'm just describing myself. But, after spending almost an hour and a half with the previous owner, I think he felt similarly. I still am not sure if I'm actually gonna really ride it. But if I do, I don't want to damage it. This sled just sat. So I'm cleaning the carbs, and I'm gonna call VForce and try and get the updated carb boots. Just in-case.......

Attachments

·
Registered
81 Posts
I will be following this thread, thanks for posting.

I'd like to learn more about the Revolt as i hope to own one someday.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Picked up some heat wrap tape for the expansion chamber. Gonna cut off the bracket that is used to secure the pipe to the cylinder head in an effort to free-up the pipe, hoping it eliminates the pipe failure thing. Found the rubber airbox seals starting to deform, but only on the bottom side. I believe it's due to the alcohol in today's gas.

Attachments

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Does it have a recoil or just E-start?
E-start only. The frame is very beefy. But I don't think it's over-done. The sled has a different tunnel structure than the sled in the poster that's been hanging on the wall in my shop since 2003. Here's some pics of the clutching.

Attachments

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It has the Comet Pro clutch with 4 weights. Was told they are no longer in business. Was also told I'm wasting my time trying to use the stock expansion chamber. It will crack in half no matter what I do. So I will use some other pipe instead. I will keep the Bassani tailpipes. I was advised NOT to take the engine apart. I'll probably follow that advise. The electrical system has a myriad of problems. Not mine. But was told they will surface. Have lots to think about.

·
Outlaw
3,701 Posts
i would trail ride it around ur area till all these electrical problems and such arise..then have it like a trophy

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Is the track driven off the secondary's drive shaft ? I don't see a chaincase.
The drive train is similar to a Blade and/or Diamond drive. There's a set of helical-cut gears bathed in gear oil. Nobody I've yet talked to seems to know who made it. The electrical system is from France or Italy. I don't remember because it's not important. Was told the company refuses to support it and any replacements I may find on ebay are no better than what comes on the sled. Money would be better spent on retro-fitting some other, more readily available system. Thinking about just removing everything and swapping it out for an OEM system. But don't hold me to that!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 443 Posts