Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I own a 04 pro xr 800 and I am looking to rip it up this winter. New mods I am putting on it this summer include air horn intake, 2 flowrites, push arm, 1.25 ripsaw, and 144 1.450 down the middle. I'm also considering buying vforce 3's but i dont know if it is worth the $250. Has anyone used them on this sled or on their 800 twin? How well do they work?

Also, I am looking for a killer clutching/gearing combo. I mostly trail ride with a little off-trail. I also jump a bit. I am 6'3 180.

Lastly, does anyone have a pair of pivoting mounts for handguards for sale? Or know where to get a pair?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I have the reeds on my 800. It increases the throttle response and mid range power by a noticeable amount. It's by far the snappiest sled I've ever driven and I get to ride a lot of different sleds throughout a season.

·
Registered
6,369 Posts
ROX sell the best mounts for hand guards! I cant recall there web page exactly.... Cunford enterprises???? I have VF3's in my 700 that I took out of my 2001 xc 800 non EV motor , as stated a noticable differance in responce low end and midrange not much differance up top. they seam to help with fuel economy slightly (less spit back maybe). I know this is like opening a can of worms saying VF# are great buy them. I have 3000 mile on mine now and they are still in good shape. as a ditch banger its nice being able to blip the fliper and pull the skis up with the motor over obsticles! you may also notice you can lean it out a little on the lowend mixture.....

·
Premium Member
1,232 Posts
i am running an EPI blue primary spring 175/285 with 66 gram Polaris weights. i think EPI dropped the blue spring, but the their almond should be close 165/280. the 72/74-46-.46 helix pulls hard out the hole with the 160/260 CCW spring. having a flat shift rate on the primary spring gives a real fun to ride shift curve. as for gearing with a 1.25" x 121" track, i'd run 23-42's. it is not a speed set-up but works well with that track for spirited trail riding and ditch banging. as for reeds, i preffer Boyesen. they are more reliable and replacement petals are cheaper than V-force. either one work about the same, 3 to 5 hp increase from better sealing propperties. with less "spit back" your milage increases as well as throttle responce. you will have to jet down. the better pulse signal to the carb, from less spit back, will pull more fuel per pulse. gut your airbox if you have not already and install a flow-rite for added cold air. everything added up, your sled will rip and be a riot to ride.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all of the advice. I am most likely going to order the vforce 3's.

I should also add that i need a good setup for the polaris PERC helix. I added it to the sled. I would prefer to keep it in there for next season, but i may have to drop it if there is a way better setup without that helix.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
739 Posts
The best clutch stuff that I have tried which I run now is Helix 54 42 40 team perc. sec orang EPI prim yellow EPI 72 grams belly buster. So far this setup is best one I have tried and I tried alot. Going to change weights to 74 just to see what happens I did drop the jets to 440 main also. gutted air box flow rights take out all foam in dash and let it rip Got 148.5 dyno and 100.49 torque at 7762 rpm. Not to bad I will have it dynoed this fall again I will let you boys know.

·
Registered
667 Posts
My brother has the exact same sled. He has the Boyesen RAD valves......first time using them, but he prefers them over VIII's now. He tried the heel clicker clutch kit and it really worked! It also has the 1.25 Ripsaw and 144 gold diggers to get the power down. I'm not sure what his exact clutching or gearing is right now, but I'll tell you one thing...
it tears!!! Burp the flipper and you better HANG ON!!! It pulls incredibly hard up through midrange but falls off on top. Perfect agressive trail setup.....but it'll wear you out!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts