Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
at the end of last seson i was helping a friend do some clutch work on his zr900 and i had the primary off sitting on my work bench,i was just looking at the clutch and it looked bigger to me for some reason,so i grabed the tape mesure and it was exactly 8 in,so i mesured mine and it was 7 9/16in,i was in shock i could not belieave it,i thought maybe the secondary were diffrent sizes too,no they were the same mesured those too,that extra 3/8 should get you into overdrive and make a noticable diffrence.i have never been a fan of the team clutch and am stiil not,i thought the team was most of the problem with the top end issue,now i am not sure if it is all of the problem.so i bought a cat 9 tower off of ebay and going to put it on my pro with back to back testing versus the poo clutch,i only spent 50 buck on it so i think it will be worth to see if its any faster on topend.after i do that i also bought a cat secondary and going to ditch the team.it will problably be a while till i do this cause i also haft to fix my front suspension from my last ride last season yet,so ill fix the front end do some grass testing on both primarys and both secondarys and let you all know the outcome hopefully by next month.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,474 Posts
interesting to see your results, but i'm not sure it will be a p[roblem since it is the same primary that was on the 01.5-02 xc7 that was smokin everyone that year...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i have thought that to bonz50,polaris has had some sleds with good top end,if this works and it should we can gear down a tooth and not loose anything on top,i not sure but if are clutches are only 7 9/16 all polaris clutches are.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,474 Posts
fwiw- after i added my hyperlight clutch i geared down to 21-40 (1.9 ratio) and i lost ZERO topend, in fact i gained about 2 mph and the hyperlight wasn't even dialed completely and i had even added a 136 track... the problem isn't the primary, it is the team... sure the team can be made to run on top but you sacrifice so much everywhere else... maybe the new tss-04 model is better, i don't know... but the cat style secondary is the way to go for polaris
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,641 Posts
Originally posted by bonz50@Sep 25 2005, 06:14 PM
fwiw- after i added my hyperlight clutch i geared down to 21-40 (1.9 ratio) and i lost ZERO topend, in fact i gained about 2 mph and the hyperlight wasn't even dialed completely and i had even added a 136 track...  the problem isn't the primary, it is the team...  sure the team can be made to run on top but you sacrifice so much everywhere else...  maybe the new tss-04 model is better, i don't know...  but the cat style secondary is the way to go for polaris
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=892039
[/quote]
what all has to be done to run the cat secondary? is the jackshaft the same?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i agree bonz ,i dont like the team at all,what i am saying is cat has a advantage on us,alot of guys on here sa they can keep up with cats 700 till about 85-95 are they all the way shifted out,i dont know,but if they are this would for sure help.that 900 clutch i help my friend out with shifts out all the way to the top of the primary,that is a sure advantae over us poo guys.ill test this out and will make sure both clutches shift all the way out and my guess is the cat primary will be faster on top with the team and it will go even faster with cats secondary.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
416 Posts
Are you having trouble getting full shift out on the secondary??? If you are getting full shift out, I would NOT put the Cat primary on. Lot's of damage can and will happen when you pull the belt apart at 100mph. I was able to pull 102 in 6-10 inch studder bumps last year (the only chance I had for a top end pull). I can imagine what I will do with a smooth clear surface.

If you are not getting full shift out in the secondary, better look into why. The bigger primary might help, but it might make more problems.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
10,423 Posts
Originally posted by Needsnow@Sep 26 2005, 02:17 AM
If you are not getting full shift out in the secondary, better look into why. The bigger primary might help, but it might make more problems.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=892730
[/quote]
try gearing down a little(1-2 teeth on top for example), polaris(as others do)gears too tall for full shift under avg conditions, this slows belt speeds and creates the ''dream 1:1 shift ratio'', however this kills acceleration and to an extent some additional top speed to boot, gearing down will allow the sled to accelerate much harder(provided it's kept in torque/h.p. bands with proper clutching) and in nearly all cases a few additional mph will be found also, look at your primary, more than likely there's a 3/8''- 1/2'' wide strip around the outer diameter where the original machined surface has hardly any belt contact(wearing smoother), this will validate too tall of gearing and lost acceleration, the ''smoothing of sheaves'' comes from repeated belt contact under loads, RARELY will the belt see the top of the sheaves with stock setups under avg conditions unless heading downhill at better than 45 degree angle with better than 50 mph tailwinds with practically any make of sled(opening a can of bashes here :doh: ), if you want more info, pm me and i'll give my number ,,,btw, the larger primary needs the correct length belt with the correct center to center also, either you'll kill the belt as posted already(if too short on belt) or you;ll lose bottom end if belt is long enough for full shift but too long to be set properly for correct belt deflection,,, :no_bashing: here,,,rusty
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,474 Posts
Originally posted by 700prx@Sep 25 2005, 07:59 PM
i agree bonz ,i dont like the team at all,what i am saying is cat has a advantage on us,alot of guys on here sa they can keep up with cats 700 till about 85-95 are they all the way shifted out,i dont know,but if they are this would for sure help.that 900 clutch i help my friend out with shifts out all the way to the top of the primary,that is a sure advantae over us poo guys.ill test this out and will make sure both clutches shift all the way out and my guess is the cat primary will be faster on top with the team and it will go even faster with cats secondary.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=892239
[/quote]
i hear what you're saying, but i don't think it is the primary that is the problem... the cat primary has it's own problems anyway, unless you put on the big dog used on the zr9's... i'm not sure, but, the ACT driven is a different size than the standard one and they may be compensating for that on the ACT drive sleds...
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
10,423 Posts
Originally posted by bonz50@Sep 26 2005, 10:27 AM
the cat primary has it's own problems anyway,                                                                 

  i'm not sure, but, the ACT driven is a different size than the standard one and they may be compensating for that on the ACT drive sleds...
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=893021
[/quote]
it does?? polarises primary has no probs, neither does cats, just the polaris actually measures in at 7.88'' diameter vs 8'' for std cat primary and 8.5'' for dd equipped sled primaries.

the dd secondary would not be compatible anyhow as it's splined instead of keyed as polarises is :cn:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,474 Posts
Originally posted by bonz50@Sep 26 2005, 09:29 AM
i believe they will bolt on directly, not 100% sure though...  i know a couple guys that have done it, let me ask them and get back to ya...
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=893025
[/quote]
i asked my buddy and this was his response:

"I bought the install kit from Tison, it was like $18. Gives you the proper key, bolt, and spacers. Many people just go to the Cat dealer and match up a key and use a bunch of washers just to save a couple bucks, but I really liked the professional setup from Tison and it was cheap too. Then you will need to either modify a Polaris alignment tool or buy a PolCat secondary alignment tool to keep the offset in spec as the Cat secondary sheaves are thinner than the Polaris and the offset changes a little bit. What I did was set mine with the Polaris secondary, then measure the sheave difference and ended up taking out one washer behind the secondary and that seemed to keep it in line. Had no problems and didn't smoke any belts. You will need to lighten up the weights in your primary as well, I ended up dropping around 4 grams or so from my Polaris roller setup."
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,474 Posts
Originally posted by C-NOTEPLUSf503@Sep 26 2005, 09:32 AM
it does?? polarises primary has no probs, neither does cats, just the polaris actually measures in at 7.88'' diameter vs 8'' for std cat primary and 8.5'' for dd  equipped sled primaries.

the dd secondary would not be compatible anyhow as it's splined instead of keyed as polarises is :cn:
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=893035
[/quote]
some of the older cat primaries weren't real durable... many of the ones that were first bolted to the big twins would develop stress cracks on the towers... either way, i'd personally stick with the polaris primary and use a cat style secondary... seems to be the best combo out there right now...
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
10,423 Posts
the early year 9 towers had probs yes(not ton's of them as told over years though), just the 6 towers since don't, just putting in a little info to help others prevent any headaches down the road with belt issues plus the gearing issue, that's all not trying to start anything
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,474 Posts
Originally posted by C-NOTEPLUSf503@Sep 26 2005, 09:58 AM
the early year 9 towers had probs yes(not ton's of them as told over years though), just the 6 towers since don't, just putting in a little info to help others prevent any headaches down the road with belt issues plus the gearing issue, that's all not trying to start anything
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=893094
[/quote]
i hear ya, no prob... :beerchug:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
492 Posts
How about the about the XCR 800? Same sheave specs,no. I think the problem is in the chain case personally.

-Rob.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,474 Posts
Originally posted by dog700@Sep 26 2005, 01:38 PM
How about the about the XCR 800?  Same sheave specs,no.  I think the problem is in the chain case personally.

                                -Rob.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=893490
[/quote]
huh?? chaincase isn't the problem... between the team clutch and the horribly inefficient pro-x rear suspension this is where the problems lie on this sled... the rear suspension on the pro-x is good at soaking up big hits, but it doesn't roll very well... best rear suspension polaris has had for a long time for top end has been the old xtra-10... there is a reason those gen2's were so fast (and still are)... no big travel suspension and no team clutch...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,641 Posts
Originally posted by bonz50@Sep 26 2005, 09:40 AM
i asked my buddy and this was his response:

"I bought the install kit from Tison, it was like $18.  Gives you the proper key, bolt, and spacers.  Many people just go to the Cat dealer and match up a key and use a bunch of washers just to save a couple bucks, but I really liked the professional setup from Tison and it was cheap too.  Then you will need to either modify a Polaris alignment tool or buy a PolCat secondary alignment tool to keep the offset in spec as the Cat secondary sheaves are thinner than the Polaris and the offset changes a little bit.  What I did was set mine with the Polaris secondary, then measure the sheave difference and ended up taking out one washer behind the secondary and that seemed to keep it in line.  Had no problems and didn't smoke any belts.  You will need to lighten up the weights in your primary as well,  I ended up dropping around 4 grams or so from my Polaris roller setup."
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=893059
[/quote]
thanks or the info! ill see how much i like or hate the team and go from there.
 
1 - 20 of 45 Posts
Top