Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
17,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone tried the hygear front lowering kit on their sleds?

https://www.hygearsuspension.com/co...roducts/polaris-axys-pro-x-front-lowering-kit

sled is a 2015 Adventure (international) , basically a pro-x SB with bags.
For my use (mostly trails), I don't care so much for the tall+tippy front end - I'd like to get it to handle a litte more "XCR like" - Or like the front end on my my '19 SBA for that sake.
Should I do the center spring too while at it?

I see there also are other options, like Raptor triple rates + zbros , but looks like thoseare geared more towards mtn sleds..?

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
yes i did it last year and the fts spings also it is a little lower i like to ride the sled not sit back and cruze but it probably is a little less tippy as i really didnt mind how it handled before for me it wasnt night and day difference but i ride it as a prox

·
Registered
17,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yup, been considering that too

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
sorry didnt see the link they put a spacer in my shock to lower the ride and use the stock springs different approach same company though hygear

·
Registered
2021 XCR Switchback 850
2,365 Posts
Put the Pro-S sway bar on my XCR and it made a huge difference on trail.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Thinking it would be just as easy to swap to SBA shocks and adjust to min spring preload, this gets you to within 1/4 inch of the S ride height.

·
Registered
954 Posts
that would be a lot shorter or closer to the ground this is a minor adjustment
SBA shocks are longer than Pro s/XCR but shorter than Pro X
Preload adj can put a SBA front to almost ProX on the high end, to just a hair taller than XCR/Pro S on the low end.
Don't get much better than that.

·
Registered
17,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ended up ordering the hygear kit I linked to in the first post, also ordered the dual rate spring for the center shock while at it.
I'll let you know how it works out

·
Registered
17,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Finally got to put on the IFS springs on saturday. Yesterday it was a snow storm - and today it was time to put it to test.
Looks like it did exactly what I was looking for - got rid of the annoying twitchyness it aquired when I swapped the pro-steer skis for a set of grippers.
Will be interesting to see how it behaves on rutted hardpack later on.

btw, the fts spring kit they shipped me is marked 250/400 - what should I expect compared to stock? I weigh around #230

·
Registered
50 Posts
Ivar, Do you like the Hy-gear kit? Did it improve/lower the center of gravity and make it handle better in the corners? Do you have a photo or two showing the kit on your sled?
I have an '18 SB Pro-X and I bought the Pro-S sway bar and was also considering lowering the front to the same height as the Pro-S, as I ride mostly trails and don't spend much time in the ditches.

·
Registered
17,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ran out of season before I got dialled it in fully. We just got some snow so I got some miles on it last week. It still needs some tweaking to get it where I want it as it still is a bit twitchy. I think I'll get the S swaybar also - and will look into putting the pro-steers back on.
4k miles on the sled now so the shocks are probably in need of a refresh too ,

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have yet to take the '18 SB Pro X out yet, but I'm coming off a '13 SB Pro R, so I'm guessing the difference between the Pro-ride R vs. the Axys X, the X will probably handle & corner better than the R did. I did get a lot of inside ski being above the snow on corners, that's why I just got the Pro S sway bar in hopes that keeps the inside ski down. If that doesn't work, then I'll consider the Hy-gear kit to level it out, but I don't want it to stick out like a sore thumb or looking lie a giant add-on piece. I'd like to see your set up if you can post a couple photos?

·
Registered
17,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I thought I had some pics but cant find them. I will be away for a couple weeks before I can snap any.

However, looks pretty much like this pic I found on the net:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Thanks! It looks like it's an aftermarket "add on", which is what I was afraid of. Hopefully I'm happy with the handling without needing to modify the springs. If I do, I may try to order springs to bring it down to the 1" lower. I'm guessing I won't need to swap out springs, as it sounds like the cornering issue will be fixed with the sway bar change.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I replaced all the shocks on my 18 SB pro X with the xcr hi/lo shocks from the polaris catalog and put on the Pro S sway bar, whole new sled handles incredibly, unlimited adjustment

·
Registered
50 Posts
Aren't the only 3 differences between the Pro-S vs Pro-X are the sway bar, shocks, & track? Didn't you just make a Pro-S with longer lugs? 😃 the shock change-over couldn't have been cheap.

·
Premium Member
MY21 650 SBA 146, ES, ICE Storm 1.5
6,145 Posts
Aren't the only 3 differences between the Pro-S vs Pro-X are the sway bar, shocks, & track? Didn't you just make a Pro-S with longer lugs? 😃 the shock change-over couldn't have been cheap.
No. depending on the year, handlebar riser, bogie wheels, rear idler wheels, & springs could also be different.

Reactions: Lid2
1 - 20 of 40 Posts