Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Put a new bearing a new cable and a new speedo. The speedo works when it is up on the stand but when you put it down it doesn't work again. Any ideas? I guess the only thing I didn't change is the key. Let me know what you think.

·
Registered
108 Posts
the key drive for the speedo is probably the culprit, their meant to break if any binding occours in the speedo cable/drive.if you take bearing cover off and key is broken make sure you get the broken peice out of the small square hole in the end of the drive shaft. spin drive while you have it off and see if speedo needle jumps. if i does not you may have a bad cable. i'de bet on the key 90% of the time. keep that bearing greased up every 500 miles. ive seen what happens to the bearing and speedo drive due to lack of lube.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the key drive for the speedo is probably the culprit, their meant to break if any binding occours in the speedo cable/drive.if you take bearing cover off and key is broken make sure you get the broken peice out of the small square hole in the end of the drive shaft. spin drive while you have it off and see if speedo needle jumps. if i does not you may have a bad cable. i'de bet on the key 90% of the time. keep that bearing greased up every 500 miles. ive seen what happens to the bearing and speedo drive due to lack of lube.[/b]
I'll give it a look. But when I had it apart the key was fine. If thats it it will be a cheap fix.

Thanks

·
Registered
6,369 Posts
90% of the time if the 1" long key is broken the bearing is on its way out , check your drive shaft bearing very close !

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
90% of the time if the 1" long key is broken the bearing is on its way out , check your drive shaft bearing very close ![/b]
Put a new driveshaft bearing in about 400 miles ago. Pretty much all new bearings so I'm thinking the key.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts