Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at purchasing a clutch for my 03 pro x 700. I have found a new clutch that has no spirng or weights for the right price but the part number 1321880 references the prox 800 and the 700 number is 1321810. I have talked to polaris tech dept and they said don't use it, but couldn't tell me what was different beyond the fact that the spider covers a bigger area for better wear. They couldn't identify any other changes. Does anyone have any experience in the clutching department? Does anyone know what is different.

·
Registered
730 Posts
ya, i dont know why they used 2 different clutches between those 2 machines? is the larger cover that much better. Im positive the taper is the same, and they are all balanced so i dont see any reason not to use one? just make sure you got the right retainer bolt, which may even be the same.

G

·
The 800 has a heavy duty forged spyder,bigger rollers, many have said that the 800 clutch is heavy and doesnt overdrive as much as the other clutches.[/b]
Yes this is true xcmark.The 800 primary cluthes are basically made for the classic and touring sleds(heavy),you have to do some maching to make them work properly on the Pro X and Pro XR 800 models.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Yes this is true xcmark.The 800 primary cluthes are basically made for the classic and touring sleds(heavy),you have to do some maching to make them work properly on the Pro X and Pro XR 800 models.[/b]
what kind of machining is required for the 800 clutch to overdrive?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The 800 has a heavy duty forged spyder,bigger rollers, many have said that the 800 clutch is heavy and doesnt overdrive as much as the other clutches.[/b]

what do you mean by doesn't overdrive as much as other clutches.

·
Premium Member
3,776 Posts
Run it and don't worry about it . Shim it for proper belt clearance if you need to. The retaining bolts the same. May need to grind the outside of the washer a little bit so it goes inside the wider cover bushing, thats all.

G

·
what kind of machining is required for the 800 clutch to overdrive?[/b]
The primary when closed all the way the belt should sit above the sheaves for proper shift out,if it doesn't the bottom of the moveable sheave needs material taken away to get full shift out.The 800 primaries were bad for this,as I said before there not a performance clutch at all.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ya, i dont know why they used 2 different clutches between those 2 machines? is the larger cover that much better. Im positive the taper is the same, and they are all balanced so i dont see any reason not to use one? just make sure you got the right retainer bolt, which may even be the same.[/b]
Will the heavier clutch reduce performance?

·
Registered
6,369 Posts
the weight of the clutch will not be noticable but if it doesnt overdrive as much as a 700 clutch you amy be down slightly on your top speed if your geared down a good amount.

I took apart my spare primary this week I found that even my 700 clutch could use a light clean up to get the belt to come up to the top of the primary. I took about .040" off the moveable clutch face right at the very bottom where it contacts the fixed part.

·
Registered
968 Posts
800 clutch also has a different step shim under the spider that basically " untucks" the weights and makes them act heavier at low shift ratios

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.