Hardcore Sledder banner

61 - 77 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
As people use the combo of the TAPP and the Pro 4, it will be interesting to learn if the helix angle needs to be adjusted to compensate for the extra grip the TAPP has on the belt.

I am glad to have both and kudos to Tommcat for getting a TAPP for me considering all the supply chain issues.

·
Registered
676 Posts
i understand there might be a little diff in the helix angles used from STM vs Pro4, i have a tonn of helix's from DALTO,MICRo Belmont, Black Diamond, PSI and D&D, funny how we used to use steep angles like 60/40 on 200hp thunder cats and 62/52 on zr 900 in the day, strange to see the shallow angles on these now being that they are lighter and more powerfull. i noticed that there is onlt 2 rollers actually touching helix... must be a deg off on machining, i remember back in day we used to leave the helix loose a bit and put roller cover on and then it would self centre against rollers then you would tighten up the helix. we also used to float this style sec by @.050, is this still possible with the BOSS shaft.?

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
I have setup 2 998 sleds running the TAPP. Mine(STM secondary) and my buds( Pro4). These both run identical and are setup up exactly the same. I run a floating setup on my STM secondary. WIll be setting up the Pro4 to float as well for this season.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
I have setup 2 998 sleds running the TAPP. Mine(STM secondary) and my buds( Pro4). These both run identical and are setup up exactly the same. I run a floating setup on my STM secondary. WIll be setting up the Pro4 to float as well for this season.
are you using the 11” or 11.25 STM secondary? I see they make the 2 different diameters.

·
Premium Member
33,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
As people use the combo of the TAPP and the Pro 4, it will be interesting to learn if the helix angle needs to be adjusted to compensate for the extra grip the TAPP has on the belt.

I am glad to have both and kudos to Tommcat for getting a TAPP for me considering all the supply chain issues.
helix angle definitely acts different with the TAPP due to how much harder it squeezes the belt. 2-3 degrees seems to be about right

·
Registered
278 Posts
Tommcat, I have the new 2021 ThunderCat on order. Are there any summer or fall sales coming up?
I have a big order. tapp, pro4, hurricane tune, bov, 3bar, etc.
Looking for the best pricing

·
Premium Member
33,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Tommcat, I have the new 2021 ThunderCat on order. Are there any summer or fall sales coming up?
I have a big order. tapp, pro4, hurricane tune, bov, 3bar, etc.
Looking for the best pricing
the TAPP sale was pre june, pro 4 doesnt do them, and i dont know if hurricane or anyone else will be doing them this year. this virus bullshit has hit everyone pretty hard so a lot of companies may not be able to afford doing sales.
if they do however, we will absolutely pass it on to our customers

·
Premium Member
33,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
whatever dave sent me for turbo, measures @ 8.375
yes, that's the new 8.4 clutch. we had asked him to go bigger this spring and he was actually able to go a bit bigger using the same chunk of aluminum they had been using, which worked out great

·
Registered
676 Posts
yes, that's the new 8.4 clutch. we had asked him to go bigger this spring and he was actually able to go a bit bigger using the same chunk of aluminum they had been using, which worked out great
Hey Tom, why bigger? just to keep belt dwn in the sheeves a little with xs or stock belt length? or is it making sense soo it will always have squeeze on the belt as it hits the lowest point in the secondary... or if possible we can run just a slightly wider and slightly longer belt, this will allow it to sit a little higher in the sec for a lower ratio off the line and as it shifts to the inner hub of sec... (with a little longer belt) will ride higher in primary for more over drive.. top speed..

·
Premium Member
33,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
Hey Tom, why bigger? just to keep belt dwn in the sheeves a little with xs or stock belt length? or is it making sense soo it will always have squeeze on the belt as it hits the lowest point in the secondary... or if possible we can run just a slightly wider and slightly longer belt, this will allow it to sit a little higher in the sec for a lower ratio off the line and as it shifts to the inner hub of sec... (with a little longer belt) will ride higher in primary for more over drive.. top speed..
The goal was to allow a tiny bit more overdrive with a longer belt. It's not much but every little bit helps.
I also like a larger secondary for a lower ratio off the line. 11.25 being my preference.

·
Registered
676 Posts
The goal was to allow a tiny bit more overdrive with a longer belt. It's not much but every little bit helps.
I also like a larger secondary for a lower ratio off the line. 11.25 being my preference.
thatsn exactly what i thought, this will also allow the belt to always be in contact with the sheave with stock length belt as the sec will limit how far up the sheaves the belt will go and it wont climb out of primary causing it to explode or slip as the sheaves touch at hub and belt rizes up and has no squeeze on it, i like this idea.

61 - 77 of 77 Posts