Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally after a puller and lots of swear words I got it off. Man was that on there. Couple questions, What should the shaft look like when I get it off. It almost looks like it was spinning on the shaft a little. I don't know how because it was so tight. Second what do I need to do to get her all cleaned up now. Can I spray it will carb cleaner to get all of the black shit off of it. Thanks for your help

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
there shouldnt be any gouges in the metal... to clean it that should be fine, also scotch brite works good...

·
Registered
109 Posts
use 220 grit sandpaper or scoth brite on the crank taper to clean it up then use carb cleaner onit to clean off any oils you do not want any type of oil residue on it at all, then clean up the inner part of the primary where the crank taper sits in the same way
then install the clutch, torque it to 50 foot lbs, start the motor up let it idle for 5 minutes shut it off and loosen the clutch bolt and retorque it cone again to 50 foot pounds and your done

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Another question, I wasn't paying real close attention when I took it apart and when I put it back together I am not sure know if it is the same. Therefore is it going to be out of balance now. There is a small bump on the outside cover and also on the inside spider. Are they supposed to line up and then it is balanced??? Got a first timer here

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Originally posted by AJBF7@Sep 18 2005, 09:55 PM
Another question, I wasn't paying real close attention when I took it apart and when I put it back together I am not sure know if it is the same.  Therefore is it going to be out of balance now.  There is a small bump on the outside cover and also on the inside spider.  Are they supposed to line up and then it is balanced???  Got a first timer here
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=881200
[/quote]
If their lined up you got it right

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
Originally posted by AJBF7@Sep 18 2005, 09:07 PM
Finally after a puller and lots of swear words I got it off.  Man was that on there.  Couple questions, What should the shaft look like when I get it off.  It almost looks like it was spinning on the shaft a little.  I don't know how because it was so tight.  Second what do I need to do to get her all cleaned up now.  Can I spray it will carb cleaner to get all of the black shit off of it.  Thanks for your help
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=881098
[/quote]
it probably did spin on the crank. thats why it was such a bitch to remove.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info guys.

·
Banned
10,423 Posts

·
Registered
4,047 Posts
Is the end of the crankshaft still smooth? If it is you have nothing to worry about. Being it is an 03 and thats the first you've taken it off it will be stuck on there a little bit.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It was still very smooth. Looks good I got it back on already. How much is the balance of the secondary important??? I wasn't paying attention when I took it apart. How do I put it back together balanced are there markings on it??? Thanks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts