Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brand new, end of last season, primary sticks partially engaged. what could be causing this? bought this clutch because old one did same. and was not worth fixing(cracks in both sheaves). replaced my orig. nine tower with six tower, cause i was told it was better but cant get this one right. cleaned off sheaves and shaft with scotch brite pad as told in earlier post. please help. Thanks

·
Premium Member
20,495 Posts
Did you bend a tower? somehow, maybe while tightening or removing it? remove the clutch, then the cover and spring. See if it all moves freely by hand without the spring.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I took it apart, removed cover and spring and sticks when almost at full open and when sheaves are almost fully touching. and moves hard otherwise.

·
Premium Member
20,495 Posts
If you bent a tower... the spider side pucks will bind in there travel up the sheave. apply wd-40 to areas one at a time to isolate the area of sticktion. remove all lube after you fix it. may have to emery paper a tower. how are you holding the clutch when you pull it off? I only use my hands or a holding fixture. I've seen guy wreck them with bars and what not.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
just use my hands, or holding tool when pulling off clutch. Is there anything else that could cause these issues? could the moveable sheave bushing be trashed already, there is alot of , what I am assuming is belt dust, all over clutch. what should I use to try and clean some of the dust off. some guys on here have said brake cleaner or car cleaner.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Easy fix....You over tightened the clutch weight bolts and pinched the towers.... Loosen the clutch arm bolts again and re tighten until just snug.

·
Registered
11,320 Posts
Easy fix....You over tightened the clutch weight bolts and pinched the towers.... Loosen the clutch arm bolts again and re tighten until just snug.[/b]

This is my guess also,, I done this before,, They pull in easier then you think....R2R

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
loosened up weight bolts and cover bolts and i could see the towers spread. never thought those pins at the base of the tower could do that much. retightened and clutch worked great all day yesterday. finall clutch issues solved. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
11,320 Posts
loosened up weight bolts and cover bolts and i could see the towers spread. never thought those pins at the base of the tower could do that much. retightened and clutch worked great all day yesterday. finall clutch issues solved. Thanks for the help.[/b]

Yep, they pull in easy,, before you tighten the weights up it's a good idea to make sure you have the cover already on and tightened,, helps keep the towers form pulling in as easy...Just a note,but I wouldn't losen the cover bolts off to much,,they may back out,,weight bolts is likey the problem anyhow,,,R2R

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
they do pull in easy, I only loosened the cover bolts to make sure the towers could move back out to position, then tightened back up. worked great all weekend.

·
Registered
11,320 Posts
they do pull in easy, I only loosened the cover bolts to make sure the towers could move back out to position, then tightened back up. worked great all weekend.[/b]

:thumbsup: right on,,you should be fine now....R2R

·
Registered
104 Posts
Easy fix....You over tightened the clutch weight bolts and pinched the towers.... Loosen the clutch arm bolts again and re tighten until just snug.[/b]
Good call Green Hornet. Ive never had mine do that alwys make sure the bolt spins a little. Will log in the back of my mind for others though.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts