Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have put some thought into how the primary works on the set pin design and have come up with this. The more tension on the cam pin the lighter the primary thinks the weight is vs thinking it is heavier. I thought it to be the other way around and was judging my performance like so. For out of the hole and mid range loosening the weights seems to work for me, but now I see that it would kill top end. My question is would you rather run the weights loose and adjust to the difference with lighter gram arms or run a heavier weight adjusted by compressed tension? In my opinion I think I would rather run the weights with no tension so that you get what you get and there are no variables, but I would like to hear other peoples opinion on this.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I don't think the weight arm arcing loose versus snug makes any rpm difference.You still add or subtract weight to get the right rpm.Tune your upshift w/the secondary.The big difference in this new style primary is that the weight and the pin are rotating together.The bushings are in the tower.Much more durable design.IMO.The old style had the weight rotating on the fixed pin.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally posted by dead1dave@Oct 10 2005, 06:29 PM
Now I am more confused then ever .  :mog:
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=920650
[/quote]

What do you mean confused? On the new primaries there is some tension on the bolt that holds the weight in place and at different tolerances the weight can be set to move freely with a touch of a finger or move less freely with the grip of all fingers. Depending on how tight you have the weight you can make it shift differently than the 75 grams that it is. On traditional style clutches the weight sits in the primary with zero resistance and the only thing that moves them or prevents to move them is centrifigal force. On a traditional style clutch 75 grams of weight is 75 grams of weight unless you compare to notched or unnotched, but generally compared there will be similar shift patterns. Now on a set screw type clutch you can take the 75 gram weight and have it sit loose enough to move freely and it will deliver 75 grams of weight to the centrifigal force of the spinning clutch. If you tighten it down more it takes more centrifigal force to move the weight acting as if it was more like a 72 gram weight changing a variable of things along with belt grip. Now when I ran with my weights loose I did gain 1 more mph in 1,500 feet. I figure this is because the weight which is now acting as a 75 gram weight gave me a better holeshot and midrange and got me to 102 in lets say 1,400 compared to 1,500 and alowed me 100 more feet of acceleration along with less belt slippage on the primary so I was utilizing more power through the clutches. Even though I made it shift like it had a heavier weight the extra time I had after 102 gave me one more mph and a little more time to over rev the weights in that distance. So in comparision would it be better to set up my clutching using a traditional style approch where I reley on the lighter weight itself to gain rpm or use tension on the bolt to make a heavier weight shift like it was a lighter weight :no_bashing: ?

·
Registered
635 Posts
That's what I'm saying,leave them snug and tune it the same as the old clutch.Leaving them loose is gonna make something bad happen.Nyloc nuts don't always stay put,especially after being on and off a few times.IMOCat recommends replacing the set screws and nyloc nuts everytime they're removed.Safety!

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Does Cat specifically mention this as a tuning aid in there setup instructions? Peace, beeler.

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
The pressure the weight puts out when spinning that fast (imagine it has to overcome that spring, that you cannnottttt compress with your hand, lol) it shouldnt matter much how tight the weights are. but in theory if theyre looser theyre going to act heavier because they can shift faster by ease of movement. If not theyre not going to move as far as fast, therefore act lighter..just tighten them like they should with some loctite, and tune from there..

·
Premium Member
2,693 Posts
Originally posted by ArcticF7SnoPro@Oct 10 2005, 04:15 PM
I have put some thought into how the primary works on the set pin design and have come up with this. The more tension on the cam pin the lighter the primary thinks the weight is vs thinking it is heavier. I thought it to be the other way around and was judging my performance like so. For out of the hole and mid range loosening the weights seems to work for me, but now I see that it would kill top end. My question is would you rather run the weights loose and adjust to the difference with lighter gram arms or run a heavier weight adjusted by compressed tension? In my opinion I think I would rather run the weights with no tension so that you get what you get and there are no variables, but I would like to hear other peoples opinion on this.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=920161
[/quote]
You are kidding, right?

·
Registered
27 Posts
your refering to the bolt that holds the weight arm in place and the two orings that hold the weight in the centre without banging the side of the tower.

just lightly tighten the nut till the weight doesn't move side to side to much but stil moves freely

your thinking too hard about this and are going to wreck the orings (squish them and they will tear then the weight will rub the side of the tower, not good)

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
Originally posted by kost-a-bunch@Oct 11 2005, 10:08 AM
your refering to the bolt that holds the weight arm in place and the two orings that hold the weight in the centre without  banging the side of the tower.

just lightly tighten the nut till the weight doesn't move side to side to much but stil moves freely

your thinking too hard about this and are going to wreck the orings (squish them and they will tear then the weight will rub the side of the tower, not good)
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=921981
[/quote]

No O rings in my clutch....NONE... :dunno: Just a set screw to keep it from sliding I guess.

·
Banned
1,883 Posts
Originally posted by DonoBBD@Oct 11 2005, 07:29 AM
No O rings in my clutch....NONE...  :dunno: Just a set screw to keep it from sliding I guess.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=922018
[/quote]

There on the bolt ends, not on the inside. Maybe your pal night train stole them?

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
hmmm... chubby thats very interesting... oh... what the hell were we talkin about??

:fluffy: :fluffy: :fluffy: :fluffy: :fluffy: :fluffy: :fluffy: :fluffy: :fluffy: :fluffy: :fluffy: :fluffy: :fluffy: :fluffy:

1 - 20 of 48 Posts