Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A buddy of mine with a 600 XC recently snapped off one of the six bolts that holds the cover on the primary clutch while changing weights. It was snapped off deep in the threads and he tried to use a easy out to get it out, with no luck. He then decided to drill out the broken bolt with a bit just a touch smaller than the bolt hole size with the intentions of using a helicoil to fix the problem. Question is if the helicoil works, is it necessary to re-balance the primary clutch?? Will the helicoil provide enough weight difference to even worry about it? If he needs to rebalance where in MN (preferrably Twin Cities area) would he have that done?? If anyone has any experience or a location it would be appreciated.

·
Registered
6,518 Posts
Can't help you out on whether it will effect the balance or not, but I know a shop that will balance it for you if needed. Cost is $100 if I remember correctly. Just had mine done there last summer, along with some other stuff. Great guys, fast service. Ask for Dan or Pete.

Indy Specialty
12540 Johnson Memorial Drive
Shakopee Mn 55379
Phone #: (952)-445-7745

·
Registered
195 Posts
Weigh one of the old bolts with a good scale. Weigh the coil, then subtract that amount by cutting the length down on the the new bolt. They usually thread in pretty far, so you should have enough extra you can cut off, probably won't be much.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Weigh one of the old bolts with a good scale. Weigh the coil, then subtract that amount by cutting the length down on the the new bolt. They usually thread in pretty far, so you should have enough extra you can cut off, probably won't be much.[/b]
What he said. But if he is using a different bolt for that hole then weigh the helicoil and new bolt together and make it weigh the same as the original if possible. Honestly it probably won't affect the balance as I have seen weights off by over a full gram, but better safe then sorry.

·
Registered
6,369 Posts
for the cost of a motor you guys would take a chance on the scale thing .... your out of your mind ! the clutch being out of ballance at 8000 rpm will wipe out a crank , the bearings and the case . I would agree that polaris possible doesnt ballance there clutches as close as you want then to be , but its very possible that this is why many guys have had crank failers on there 800. It just so happends to be the 800 has its own part number for the primary and the smaller motor sleds use the same ones.

·
Registered
6,518 Posts
for the cost of a motor you guys would take a chance on the scale thing .... your out of your mind ! the clutch being out of ballance at 8000 rpm will wipe out a crank , the bearings and the case . I would agree that polaris possible doesnt ballance there clutches as close as you want then to be , but its very possible that this is why many guys have had crank failers on there 800. It just so happends to be the 800 has its own part number for the primary and the smaller motor sleds use the same ones.[/b]
I would have to agree. I just had the PTO bearing upgrade put on my 800 this summer as well as new pistons/rings. I thought balancing the primary clutch at the same time was a no brainer so I had that done as well. And a base plate from 1200psi on SnoWest and N20iroc's torque arm. No out of balance clutches or twisting cases for me! :banghead:

·
Registered
195 Posts
Okay, if you guys are afraid that you can't read a scale right, and make them weigh the same, the just put coils in all the threads, and the problem is solved.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
That's why we have these digital scales! If you replace 10 grams with 10 grams why would you need the clutch balanced? Crank failures on the 800s were because they are weak cranks.

I worked on a Tcat a few years ago that never ran right from day one. It was a TURD. Took the primary off to check out the stock clutching. Two 66 gram weights and one 62 gram weight from the factory!!! He had 3000 miles on the sled!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.