Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been playing with the shock valving on my 02 600 xcsp and have tried changing the 1 st 1.3 shim to .012 and the 3rd shim to 1.1 .012 and I am thinking of changing the 3rd shim to a 1.25 .012 to make ths second stage stiffer. I weigh about 220 ready to ride and I am tring to get the bottoming on sharp edge bumps to stop. It rides great on regular trails and studder bumps with the change. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
43,794 Posts
I weigh about the same suited up, but never noticed any bottoming out issues on those sleds.... well maybe on a deep hole or two....and I've owned every year edge. Are you positive its bottoming and not just the coupling your feeling....then again.... I've never owned one of those sleds with more than 4000 miles...you should check the all the springs for being sacked if its got a lot of miles.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
do check the springs and rollers and make sure sit in is proper on the sled. You will not get rid of the shocks ability to bottom in the big ones without taking out some of the mid range cush. Adding a second band or going heavier on the oil will reduce the bottoming tendancy but make the stutters a bit stiffer. Personally I like adding a clicker so that you can run it soft and crank it up when needed. Obviously if you are caught off guard by one bump while set light it will still bottom.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The sled has only 1459 miles so I don't think that anything is wrong but when I pull the suspension out tonight I will check them. When it was stock I could bottom it pretty hard on sharp bumps above 30 mph. I am absolutely sure it is bottoming I could feel my back crack up and down my spine. My biggest complaint is high speed running above 70 mph and finding a big bump in the trail. JB thank for the reply I was hoping you would reply what do you think about using the Ryde FX oil as a heavier oil? The sit in is right at 4" with the coupler block on high front hole. I took the front shocks (ski shocks) out last night and changed the oil in them they sure are better shocks than Fox. They were the first front shock that I have done that the gas was not mixed with the oil.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
the ryde shocks do tend to hold up nice but they do have there own set of issues. Do you have both sets of blocks on high? I have not played with the Ryde oil in the PPS2 so I can't comment. Pick up the medium amsoil for it. You have to be careful when swapping brands of oil because there is no standard for shock oil. Brand A 5w may be the same as Brand x 7w. One thing is certain. The oil that comes in the PPS2 is crap and anything you put in will work better. The slide oil I am sure would fade less then the original fox oil that was in there.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think that I am going to leave the valving alone and try the Ryde oil if that doesn't work I may try a band to cover some holes. I used 1 band on my 00 600xcsp with the pps shock and that did alot to stiffen it up but I would like to keep the pps part of the shock and just get more bottoming resistance.

·
Registered
43,794 Posts
I go along that the Fox clicker is definetly better than the standard Fox unit. I've had both...my 02 600 had the clicker...so does this 05...seems once you adjust it for what you like...it works pretty darn good everywhere. In fact I don't what the little differences from the 02 rear suspension..if any compared to this 05, but this aniversary one is way better.

·
Registered
6,369 Posts
I did a clicker on my 2001 xc 800 after wasting my time with a rebuild on the ps2 shock. I think what someone else stated will work cover up 1 port on the bypass will help, oil is a issue also... fox junk made for the general public is fair at best , there race stuff is good but thats not what your dealing with! a clicker is the cure all , it will not ride as nice but bombed out trails become fun again!

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I just got back from the shop. The shocks all have an oil change for the year. I used the Ryde oil in the PPS shock I will report on what I think later on in winter. Yes JB that is what I thought you were talking about. I have heard that most people have had mixed results with tring to add a clicker to the PPS. Have you had good results? I bought a clicker a couple of years ago to put on my first PPS but people said it did'nt work that well.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
The clicker works great on the PPS2. The trouble is in laying out the line. Heck polaris does it now as well. The clicker also works on a PPS 1 We just had trouble with fittings do to clearance so I never did it on anything other than test sleds under my control.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts