Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious at what point any of you have cleaned your valves?
This is the first time I have had a sled with Power Valves and haven't touched them yet. I have noticed the last couple times out though, that I am giving up a bit in the hole shot.
With the blocks out, and my 220 lbs, it just brings the skis 4 inches off the snow, where it used to come up a foot or so.
Limiter straps are still at factory setting, front shocks are backed off.
Any thoughts ?

Kevin

·
Registered
4 Posts
cleaned mine the first time around 2000 miles and they were a little gummy. I ran the first tank of Cat oil before switching to Amsoil. I have over 5100 now and they are still free. Also Amsoil in Jane's XC6 is keeping her valves much cleaner.

Suspension questions.. I'm back to the longest limiter strap position with the coupler blocks still out.. SUPER holeshots, nothing else can stay with me on snow from a standing start(unstudded), but my topend isn't what it used to be..

·
Registered
54 Posts
Captainkev
If you have not check them. I would. Make sure they cycle and set cables to spec.(1.42-1.50 in) for F7 See owner manual, should be check monthly. Cleaning timing may depend on your oil and riding conditions. toolboy

·
Registered
477 Posts
Rob,

Theoretically lengthening the limiters will increase track angle especially when combined with increased front skid shock pressure and decrease top speed. However in practise I have payed little attention to changes in top speed this adjustment alone made. Certainly there is merit to it though.

·
Premium Member
7,417 Posts
thumper...maybe I misread your post but lengthening the straps will decrease the track angle making the track ride more flat and at the same time reducing ski pressure. this setup would increase the holeshot and reduce the top end due to wind resistance from the front end sticking up a little higher

·
Registered
477 Posts
I think we are just saying this different. Dropping the track puts more track on the ground resulting in a flatter track and less ski pressure. But then the track has to take a steeper turn or greater angle to come up into the tunnel and bend over the rails. It is this turn that robs you of hp and creates friction and inefficeincy.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Whats the procedure for cleaning the valves?? This is my first power valve motor and with 1860 miles maybe it's time for a cleaning.

Thanks, Steve

·
Registered
42 Posts
Shameful: Just remove the two bolts on each side of valve assembly and lift them out. It's much easier if you remove exhaust pipe, but it can be done without removal. Place removed assembly in can of good carb or similar cleaner and let soak for 20 minutes and rinse off and dry off. Take shop towel and soak with cleaner and take screwdriver and place it down toward piston and clean opening out. Most of problem will be around top gasket and assembly, the buildup will cause the top of valve to stick in that area. Good luck, would do this every 800 to 1000 miles for top performance of your machine. Also would use Amsoil for best results. g.

·
Registered
151 Posts
glk 800,

Thanks for the info, it just sounded more involved, with all the talk of adjusting the servo cables and all. I'll give them a good cleaning.

Steve

1 - 12 of 12 Posts