Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cleaned my power valves today, and adjusted my cables. I've only got 700 miles on my F6 but there were pretty sticky and full of crud. Used some carb cleaner and a toothbrush to clean them up.

On to question number one:

I adjusted the cable lengths to the specs described in my owners manual (36.1mm-38.1mm). The cable adjusters however seemed to bottom out or not allow any adjustment past 37mm? I adjusted to spec using the amount of cable visible without "pulling the valve open", just tugged it gently to remove any slack. Was this the right procedure? Or do you measure the amount of cable when you pull it to the limit and open the valve? The reason I am asking is because the procedure I used, the cables were way out of wack compared to the specs (shorter).

Question number two:

Upon replacing my pipe and attaching the cables to the servo, I left the servo cover off and started the sled. I wanted to watch the valves cycle themselves to ensure they were working. The servo didn't move after 5 mins of idling? I though they were supposed to cycle a couple of times at certain intervals while warming up?

I went for a test ride, but didn't get the "seat of the pants" pull that I was expecting for the cables to be set to spec, and clean valves.

I hope someone can shed some light on this subject for me, as I would think this is quite a simple task that is just complicated by my nervousness.

·
Registered
6,125 Posts
Yes there is a cable problem as far as length-Both my f5s came from factory around 33mm-Adjusted to length of 36mm and cables where out of adjustment-New cables same thing,so thats 4 sets-The f5s cycle at startup,burb the throttle to get servo to cycle-I understand the f7 and f6 dont cycle on startup-Have to bring up to specific rpm to get valves to cycle-Carbs cycle on startup-Efi does not-You will not feel seat of pants difference when adjusting cables-Equal length is more important on both cables-Scott

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
i have a f7 and i took my cover off. no cycle at idle,put it up on a stand and rev'ed it up and watched the servo moved, so i my sled no servo cycle at idle

·
Premium Member
2014 XF800 137
4,042 Posts
I don't think the F6 will cycle the servo until 6950 rpm's.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Originally posted by toyotajoe@Mar 16 2003, 06:53 PM
Thanks Bee.

Now if someone can clear up the Servo cycling question, I'll be all set!!
Brian,

Unfortunatly, the F6 is not listed in my 2003 AC perfromance manual. This is what I know for fact.... The F5 DOES cycle the servo motor at start-up. The F7 DOES NOT cycle at start-up and will not move unless you have the sled on a stand and rev the engine up to/over 7000 rpm's. I do not know for fact, but I would say the F6 would more than likely mirror the F7's characteristics due to the fact that they both are EFI. That's just a guess though.
-John

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Currently using the Arctic APV Oil. I would like to run some other brand, but none is available in my area. If I were to order and get shipped, the only places I have checked with, will cost way too much!!

I noticed when I did a search about APV's that some are lubricating the cables. I neglected to do so.

What type of oil is recommended for this?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts