Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does any1 have a fix for this? the cables have came unhooked 2 times already.... is there a way to take up the slack in the cable enough so they wont come unhooked and not so the valves will stay open all the time??

H

·
0 Posts
GreenTeam im having the same problem with my F5 when the power valve cables came off i lost lost of HP but when i rehooked them i was getting scared of the power....HAHAHA.....It would max out around 80 m.p.h. and recently my brother rehooked them and raced a Edge X 500 2003 and he beat it by a sled and a half.....the digital speedo said 115.....its never gone that fast b4....my friends speedo read 110 when they raced.... :D ...is there any way to keep them connected all the time without them dissconnecting?????

·
Registered
696 Posts
Originally posted by Harry_F5@Jan 20 2003, 04:57 PM
Edge X 500 2003 and he beat it by a sled and a half.....the digital speedo said 115.....its never gone that fast b4....my friends speedo read 110 when they raced....
:huh: Really? That's great...

·
Premium Member
2,846 Posts
Originally posted by Harry_F5@Jan 20 2003, 04:57 PM
.....the digital speedo said 115.....its never gone that fast b4....my friends speedo read 110 when they raced....
115 on an stock F5?? Pass the pipe buddy, that's some good stuff your puffing. :blink:

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Hmnmmm, puzzling......

I have the same problem, it hits 80 and then falls flat on its face, like God grabbed a whole lotta brake handle.....

:D

I thought it was the valves were stuck ( got 600 miles on her, and 400 of them were in "break in Oil pump mode")....

As every F5 owner knows, these kitty's like their oil, so I figured they were gummed up.... Odd tho, one week they worked fine, then next week, nothing.

I did check for any loose wires just quick, but lack of light and 30 below F temps cut that really short.......

I'm going to bring it home tomorrow and thaw it out and check it out.... gonna at least pull the valves and give them a quick cleaning anyways, I figure it can't hurt...

Later

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Have you guys checked to see if the small steel servo cable retaining snap clip (not snap ring) that holds the cables in the servo motor is still there??? My bud says his std F7 never even came with one! Might want to take a look and make sure you have one, otherwise I can see how the cable could likely quite easily become loose. I tried to find a reference pic of this part at Brown's Leisure World, but couldn't find it on their break-down of the servo motor. But there IS supposed to be a clip there holding the cables in place... trust me! -- Roy

·
Registered
40 Posts
cat didn't put vents on their valves. So the "ooze that would normally vent to the ground is following up your cables and causing them to hang up causing the cables to unhook. this for some reason is "baffling" cat. :blink:

·
Premium Member
1,819 Posts
If the cables are coming unhooked from the servo motor try installing a large washer between the controller (#2) and the servo motor (#1). I had the same problem on my 2002 ZR600.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Don't forget to make sure that steel snap clip is there! Should be just below where the arrow is in the above pic, holding both servo motor cables in place on the housing. -- Roy

·
Registered
75 Posts
I unhooked the cables and filled the place where they go with silicone and then reinstalled the cables and let the silicone dry, they will stay in place.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Jay, i wasnt smokin anything....lotta other machines here hittin over 100 m.p.h. here easily...idk how or why....just does...

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Roy T,

Per your pic,

Mine came with the clip you are referring to, HOWEVER, the Mag side cable STILL slid out. I'm thinkin about putting a washer in between the housing and the motor itself.

Since that mag side cable came loose, it froze the valve in its closed position, I had to open up the cover and work it loose, it wasn't bad (only 500 miles on her), and re bolted it down and worked it a little bit with the cable up by the servo motor.

All is well until it pops off again!!!

I think I'll take it and do some WOT for a while and clean that sucker out, doin 30 MPH trail riding musta loaded up the sled enough to make the "Ooze work its way up the cables" as said in the earlier post..... dunno...

Just one more thing to check I guess!!!

Ahhhh the beauty of buying a first year snowmobile, Cat should sell them at a discount for all the problems we fix for them!!!

Steve

·
Registered
798 Posts
Originally posted by sledder@Jan 20 2003, 10:15 PM
I unhooked the cables and filled the place where they go with silicone and then reinstalled the cables and let the silicone dry, they will stay in place.
Thats sounds like a simple and great idea, Both of my cables were out so I adjusted them and put them back in the servo. Now All I need is a dab of silicone :D

·
Registered
28 Posts
when you install the spring clip make sure both the cables are fully seated before locking the clip it is possible to wedge the clip inder the cables boss and then they will fall out. ive never had to add a washer to fix this for any of my customers. the tension on the cables not being linear to the guide block could make the cables break where there attached to the cable barrel

1 - 20 of 21 Posts