Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you think about the power steering coming in ‘22? I honestly thought this would be coming a long time ago when Yamaha and Cat joined forces. I wonder if the Sidewinder will come equipped also. Very curious to take a ride on one!

·
Registered
4,180 Posts
Personal I don't see the need but I run Snow Trackers for runners.
Very easy and precise steering.

Yes, Yamaha Sidewinders will also be getting power steering from what I've heard/read.

Jeff B In Maine

Sent via my US Cellular rotary dial device.

·
Registered
978 Posts

Yes, Yamaha Sidewinders will also be getting power steering from what I've heard/read.

Jeff B In Maine

The Thundercat in 2022 comes with power steering too. It will only raise the price which is already insane and honestly I personally think it’s ridiculous. Yamaha is bringing it back in hopes to get people holding onto their Apex with power steering to buy a sidewinder.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Jeff B In Maine

I didn’t realize the Apex had PS. I knew about the Venture.
More curious than anything. Seems it will be a lazy ride.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Interesting take.....have any of you jumped from a 4-stroke right onto a 600 2-stroke?

I own (3) 900 ACES, and we rented (2) skidoo 600s as we needed more sleds for a trip.

Jumping back and forth, my next add is a 600 2-stroke for the wife. Yes the front end weight difference is noticeable & I HATE 2-strokes.

IF power steering could make a front-end heavy 4-stroke ride like a 600 2-stroke, I would be all for it.

Sled prices are only going in 1 direction anyway....and the good riding season is now down to 6-8 weeks anyway so I’d rather spend a little more and get something that rides nice and handles nice.

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
The ps unit on my Apex is about the size of a hoagie bun and maybe weighs 10 lbs.
I ride both modern 2 and 4 strokes. IMO in certain snow conditions ALL sled could be made better with EPS.

·
Registered
ZR8000 RR 2020 & ZR9000 RR 2019
244 Posts
Don't like the idea of adding more weight

Sent from my SM-A715W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
Had an apex and never once said boy I need power steering. Rode a winder for some miles I didn’t feel it needed power steering either. It doesn’t help ride just ease of turning bars. Idk. The last thing one of these needs is more weight over the front end. Idk. I hate to sound like poopy diapers but PS doesn’t do a damn thing for me. Maybe on a sled that you travel in heavy deeper snow at very low speeds.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Interesting take.....have any of you jumped from a 4-stroke right onto a 600 2-stroke?

I own (3) 900 ACES, and we rented (2) skidoo 600s as we needed more sleds for a trip.

Jumping back and forth, my next add is a 600 2-stroke for the wife. Yes the front end weight difference is noticeable & I HATE 2-strokes.

IF power steering could make a front-end heavy 4-stroke ride like a 600 2-stroke, I would be all for it.

Sled prices are only going in 1 direction anyway....and the good riding season is now down to 6-8 weeks anyway so I’d rather spend a little more and get something that rides nice and handles nice.
I've been riding since 86. I remember seasons being all over the place. Some good, some bad. You can see this pattern in historical data.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
It'll be just more ammunition for the Cat bashers. If a ProCross sled is set up properly, it doesn't need power steering. If you think you need it. You're doing it wrong....

I can hear it now from the Cat bashers...."the ProCross needs power steering to help it handle properly....."

The Apex was one thing.....a ProCross is a completely different animal.... Look at how much people teased Yamaha for using it on the Apex....

·
Registered
617 Posts
Easy steering is not the only benefit of power steering. It takes the "shock" out of the bars. If you have ever hit a washout, rock or any other thing in the trail and had the bars ripped from your hands, EPS gets rid of 90% of it.
Anyone here old enough to remember driving a car without power steering? Or driven off-road with a truck with manual steering and had the wheel whipped from your hands? Same principle.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
The sled that I would have liked it on was my F1100 turbo. Not so much needed on the 998.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I've got a '17 9000RR and it would be nice to have PS on some days, not needed in others. I will say the steering with 7.5" shapers and studs is not overly light or easy, especially at slower speeds or super windy trails.

I wouldnt pay a ton of extra money for it, but I wouldnt mind it either. I wonder if the lighter steering will give more (false) confidence for new turbo riders? If the steering is easier I would think it would be more likely to blow through a corner, because it doesnt make it grip the snow any better.

·
Premium Member
228 Posts
FWIW, I thought ps was a joke for 4-wheelers, until I drove one. SxS machines?, the same story. I'm also old enough to have thought the same about reverse and electric start on sleds. It's more about comfort, and as I age, saving me from fatigue on a longer day. I'd definitely give it a try, especially after having two rotator cuff surgeries over the past five years (years of working on heavy equipt).

1 - 20 of 27 Posts