Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Customer wants aftermarket grips and thumb warmer put on his wife's sled. Stock grips work fine in my opinion, but he brings me an aftermarket kit with this cute little control panel and hookups for two other accesories. Grips swapped no problem. Had to clean up the inside of the throttle flipper with a Dremel so the new thumb warmer would sit flat. There are only two wires that require hooked up to run this things. A regulated positive 12 volts and a ground. A ground I can pull from anywhere. It's the 12V+ I'm having trouble finding. The customer wants the grips to only have power when the key is on, which makes sense.

I looked at the original harness that the factory Cat grips use and thought it would make the most sense to take power from there seen as it already functions in the desired manner. There is a four wire harness that the original grips used. It has two browns ( I assume are grounds on an Arctic Cat ) and two yellows. One yellow may be a tad lighter than the other but maybe it's just my eyes. I can't figure out for the life of me why I can't get power out of that location. It came from there before. All the other electrical works like the headlight dimmer and kill switch. The only place I can find power when the key is on is the fuel pump, and there's no way in f*ck I'm tapping into that. I also don't want to mess up the stator or anything so I thought I would quit while I was ahead.

Can anyone help me out? It's probably staring me in the face. Maybe a jumper or something? I don't know if it has anything to do with the EFI but like I said before, better ask and see.

·
Registered
81 Posts
hey,
we need to know if it is a battery sled or not. if it is not you cannot have power when the key is just on, the sled needs to be running (im sorry if you know this stuff im not trying to make any one look stupid) if you look at the original connectors you will see jumped wires on the harness connectors, those are your right hand warmers (thumb and right hand) the other is left hand. it does not matter which wire is hooked to what beside getting the jumped side to both your right hand warmers and high and low. electricity (in this case) does not case which way it flows it just needs to pass through element to ground making resistance which in turn makes heat. if the aftermarket unit has high and low just look at the element the longer of the two grids on the element is the high the smaller is low (less resistance). the factory harness should just have two wires and the switch will determine if it is in low or high heat.
hope this helps.
good luck

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The aftermarket warmers appear to have the grids built into grips. They are on and ready to go, same with the thumb warmer. The only thing I need to determine is where I can draw the 12V+ from that is only "hot" when the sled is running. I was planning on eliminating the factory harness after it splits into that Y. Therefore I would only have four wires coming up from in behind the airbox, two yellows and two browns. I have tried with and without the sled running to get power from the yellows. Multimeter says nothing. Totally stumped.

Yes it is a battery sled (EFI which I think is batteryless+electric start)

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The yellow should be your 12v/hot wire when sled is running, as for checking for power just use a 12volt test light to check for power while running[/b]
See, that's what I was thinking. I've been checking with a multimeter and nothing. The only other thing I can think of is the power on a Cat AC? 'Cuz I keep checking for DC and the only place I found it was in the harness going to the fuel pump.

Thanks for the help

-Twiggs

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.