Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went 95 mile on Friday in wet, dense, deep snow and had difficulties. This is not a bash, just for informational purposes. Deceleration in deep snow caused skis to "dart" back and forth, almost out of my control. Left the sled once and tipped it on its side. About 15 mph, not hurt, but not happy either. Limiters all the way out, ski shock loose as possible, ski alignment good. I think these are good for limited conditions, but not the conditions I have to ride in.

Respectfully,
catfish

·
Registered
4 Posts
I respect your opinion, but I've got over 3 thousand miles on the Powder Pros and I've never experienced anything like you have described.. ;) They are totally predictable and give me greater control on trails. I get very little if any darting. What is the position of your limiter straps? I'm running mine in the stock or longest position now. If you have drilled new holes or have them socked up too tight that might account for your problems. Also, even though you mentioned it, make sure you have at least 1/4" to 3/8" toe-out. More toe-out=less darting. Also, I assume you are using the 6" carbides? The 9" are WAY too agressive for trail use.

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
I agree,they can be grabby in certain cases.Here after the warm spell all the lakes crusted over and they were damn near impassable with the powderpro's on.I had to go less than 20mph to keep from getting pitched off the sled,but in all other conditions I think these ski's ROCk

·
Registered
4 Posts
I guess we haven't had that type of crusty conditions here this winter...
I bet any agressive ski would do the same.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Limiters have 3 stock holes. Mine was originally in the middle hole. I made the limiters the longest they could be with the stock holes. Darting was quite the right word, but redF7sp used "pitched" which better describes what was happening to me. Could be really scrry on the top end decel. Are you recommending shortening the limiters Rob?

catfish

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, 6" carbides. Where are you measuring the 1/4" - 3/8"? Have you ridden in any heavy, wet snow conditions? Did you get rain this weekend like I did? If so give them a try and see if you have a similar experience.

Thanks,
catfish

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
catfish,you say it rained by you,did all of your riding consist of riding on this very heavy set up snow?do you experience the same darting while riding on looser snow or hardpacked trails?The toe out measurment is measured at the front and rear of the wearbars or slightly less if you measure at the front and back of the saddles

·
Registered
4 Posts
shortening the limiters would put more weight on the skis and make the darting/pitching worse. 1/4"-38" toe out as measured on the frt and rear of the carbides. If you measure at the frt and rear of skis look for 3/8"-1/2". You CAN"T run too much toe out with the Firecat.. Too much toe out will only scrub off speed and wear carbides. More Toe-out really calms down the "pitching" aspect of this sled. Try experimenting with it.

Also, I'm not sure how it would influence things, but my coupling blocks are out..Maybe that reduces the "darting/pitching" under those conditions also.

Yes we had rain here this weekend, but we only rode the trails, and didn't encounter the crusty conditions like you describe. I CAN understand what you mean though.. And all agressive skis do that. I thought the C&As were the most agressive and had the most tracking/pitching of all the skis that I tested, and the SLTs had the least.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Received and installed on Thursday. Rode Friday before the rain, but Wednesday and Thursday was about 40° F, so the snow had slightly melted, settled and then stiffened up. Was still pretty deep from the foot we received that Monday. Haven't had other conditions to ride in yet. Going out tomorrow, but I'll probably have to deal with ice with a little snow on top.

catfish

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
Once you experience the ski's in "normal"conditions I think you'll be able to overlook the one downside to these very aggressive ski's,and grow to love the fact that these ski's perform awesome in all other conditions....report back to us after you've experienced some better conditions,I think you'll be very happy with your choice of ski,I sure am!

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have just over 2000 miles on a set of powder pros - I really enjoy these skis. I own a F7SP, I weight 165 & run the limiting strap in the center hole & 3/8" tow out. This weekend (Friday night in particular) I experienced the pitching you are talking about. The first time it occurred I was running 25 mph & I was standing. The left ski hit the ungroomed snow and the right ski was on the groomed trail. The ungroomed snow was heavy and not very supportive so the entire keel was exposed to wet/heavy snow. It took the slack out of the steering and whipped the sled to the left, I quickly sat down and corrected to the right and it grabbed real hard again. After a couple of miles of fooling around on and off the trail I figured the aggressive keel was grabbing the "aggressive" snow. The wet snow has more substance to it which equates to more bite because of the large surface area of the keel(s). After I got used to it, I was fine, although my shoulders were beat after an 85 mile ride because the steering effort was higher than normal. I am still very pleased with the powder pros. The "pros" far outweigh the cons. Since I switched to the PP's my confidence of were the sled is going has tripled - maybe quadrupled. I know exactly were the front will be & no more pushing thru the corners either! A great investment for a great sled.

·
Registered
69 Posts
The pitching I experienced was not the type that would throw me from my machine. It just made me take more notice what type of snow I was running on. Seeing that it doesn't rain much in the winter I don't see this as a big issue. Give them a few miles in other conditions. I am willing to bet you will like them :wub: .

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bilbat,
You know what I'm talking about, but mine experience was a little more extreme. Probably because I weigh 235+ suited and when I shift my weight forward in those conditions I get a "tank slapper" with the handlebars and it goes back and forth sometime very violently. I'll throw a little more tow out and give the next set of conditions a shot.

catfish

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Some good feeback here guys. Have to be very careful in the crusty conditions that many of us have recently experienced and are currently experiencing. Even stock skis can do things you aren't expecting, but with the deeper aggressive keels of the Powder Pros, I expected that might be even more of a handful under certain conditions. It sounds like the "pros" still far out weigh the cons on the Powder Pros though! -- Roy

K

·
0 Posts
I know exactly what you are describing. I had C&A pros on my 02 xc6 and in any crusty or wet soaked snow hang on. I have the powder pros on my F7 standard with 2500 miles of sheer bliss. I will ride in my field tonight and see how they react in the crust. I'll be in the Bas St. Laurent this weekend so I'm sure it will be another 3 days of sheer bliss.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for all the responses. It's good to know that other "aggressive" type aftermarket skis exhibit these traits. I'll give them a fair shake, before I make my final decision on whether or not I like them.

catfish

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Went 149 miles yesterday on the Powder Pros in different condition than at the beginning of this topic. Trails were turned to ice earlier in the week by rain and snow covered to give a good layer of hard pack. We also got 2-4" of fluff on top of that. Skis performed very well in these conditions. I no longer have to sit on the pad and lean heavy to get this to turn. I guess I might have to keep the stock skis for the conditions I mentioned at the beginning of this post. Wanted to give everyone an objective account of my findings.

catfish

P.S. - Inserted my new avatar, what do you think. Will post photos of trip later.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts