Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am tore on which one of these skis to get for this year. if anyone has put either one of these skis on there pro-x i would love to hear from you. how did they work?? did the steering effort change any?? etc.

i would also like some pics of the ski bottoms of both of them if that is at all possible. the slp web site has crappy digital pictures of them.

·
Premium Member
MY21 650 SBA 146, ES, ICE Storm 1.5
6,144 Posts
Originally posted by ogrant@Sep 6 2005, 08:51 PM
i am tore on which one of these skis to get for this year.  if anyone has put either one of these skis on there pro-x i would love to hear from you.  how did they work?? did the steering effort change any??  etc.

i would also like some pics of the ski bottoms of both of them if that is at all possible.  the slp web site has crappy digital pictures of them.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=863491
[/quote]
The bottom of the Powder Pros and SLT skis are basically the same until they sink into the snow an inch and a half or so.

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
I've had both and prefer the PowderPros. They work much better in the corners with really loose snow than the SLTs do. The SLTs do steer a little easier and surprisingly, also carve powder nicer when you put the sled up on its side. The flotation factor makes up for that though.

·
Registered
6,369 Posts
I am running Ppros , unstuded 6" of carbide is almost to much! studded 7.5" for up to 144. These skis are amazing when you are 1/2 on hard pack and 1/2 in fluff (like when your on a narrow trail and there is someone comming at you) they never leave with the feeling of no control! Just for fun I have even pulled the sled on its side and mantained a strait line , they just go where you point them. I rode on C&A skis before the pp's never looked back , they are just that much better! Like Bonz said shaper bars are the way to go , slp bars dont last as long or work as good!

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Powder Pros for me :div20:

·
Brand loyal, not brand blind
15,148 Posts
agreed, the slp bars are crap compared to the shapers.

·
Premium Member
3,765 Posts
Are you guys running the Ppros on mostly trails or off trail riding ? Do the ppros and shapers work good on the trails ?

·
15,148 Posts
Originally posted by Gen2@Sep 8 2005, 08:09 PM
Are you guys running the Ppros on mostly trails or off trail riding ? Do the ppros and shapers work good on the trails ?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=866531
[/quote]
thats the only type of riding I do with them

·
Registered
6,369 Posts
Originally posted by Gen2@Sep 8 2005, 08:09 PM
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=866531
[/quote]

I do everything with mine..... break trail ,ditch bang, lakes, off trail lite mountain stuff, hard pack groomed trails. They just work for everything. they are slightly harder to turn then a stock ski given equal ski pressure.

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
I've been impressed with the life I've gotten out of my 6" shapers. I bought a pair for 50 bones at the Milwaukee show. Wish I would've bought 3 pair. They lasted me 3000 miles in some pretty shitty conditions. That said, next year I'm running Bergstroms. Should be the last pair of carbides I ever need to buy. You should see these suckas! :)

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
I would also consider Polaris's racing ski as a choice for a very good trail ski. The powder pro's are the best off trail. I always put on runners that have the longest & widest pieces of carbide on them. It may be a little twitchy the first trip, but once the sharp edge comes off I don't think you can tell the difference to that of a shorter runner, but they will last alot longer.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
i was planning on trying bergstrom's this year also, but i may stick with the shapers, i've never used a better carbide... yet...

matt, how much were the berg's??? i used a 7.5" shaper last year, switched them out in the middle of a trip from stock slp carbides and couldn't believe the difference... if the bergs are better i'd be VERY impressed with them...

·
Registered
416 Posts
I have the PP's. They are .5 inches taller than the stock skis, so just installing them without doing anything else will give you harder steering. A much better all around ski than the stock ones, but if you only groom trail ride, you might benifit more from some high end carbide runners vs. the skis. If you search out fresh snow on lakes and in ditches, or plan on a trip or 2 out west, they will work great for you.

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
I was happy with the shapers too but am trying the Bergstroms on the recommendation of Stroker2. He's used them for years and swears by them. Don't remember off-hand what I paid for them, but they're WAY more expensive than a set of shapers...

·
15,148 Posts
Originally posted by Matt@Sep 12 2005, 10:13 AM
I was happy with the shapers too but am trying the Bergstroms on the recommendation of Stroker2.  He's used them for years and swears by them.  Don't remember off-hand what I paid for them, but they're WAY more expensive than a set of shapers...
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=870765
[/quote]

I always thought Bergstroms were cheaper at Grayslake. Maybe I never really priced them. Ran their hardwelds for years, way back when. Used the hardwelds and a pair of Bergstroms plastic ski savers on Matt's 340 till mid season last year. He's getting 48 studs and my older SLP UltraLites on his Lite this season.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts