Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone tried the Simmons skis yet ? I like to break trail alot and play in the powder when possible, any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
4 Posts
most guys I've spoke with say the Simmons (and the ski-doo precision) are not good in powder. Its a great trail ski.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Rob is right, my Renegade with precision skis in the deep snow needs to be muscled around to get it to turn. I sometimes have to stand on the one running board, juice the throttle and hang on it to make it turn. If all I did was mountain ride I would be changing skis.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Simmon's skis's are a very good powder ski. Just go to the snowest website and do a search on simmons ski's. They are probably the most highly thought of ski out west and they ride much more powder than we do. I run them on my Summit and they are fantastic. My brother also runs the powder pro's on this Mountain Cat and they are a fabulous ski as well. No darting and great trail/off trail performance. I think the powder pro's just need so time to build a good reputation. Dual runner skis like the Simmon's and Skidoo precision can make the sled steer a bit harder if you don't adjust your suspension slightly. I'm sticking with the stock ski for now but if my F7 darts they are gone. I don't want to compromise suspension adjustability because of a poor ski.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I put the Simmons skis on my F7 and love them. When I ride my brothers F7 w/o them you can definitely tell a difference. As far as riding in powder goes, I broke trail in about 1 foot of snow 2 weeks ago and had no issues steering.

·
Registered
4 Posts
its hard to tell the difference before you try them.. I think if you could feel how much better the Powder Pros turn in deep snow you would be convinced.

And again, most of my S-D friends tell me the precision skis (simmons knock-offs) are not good in powder.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I agree Rob, but my train of thought was typically I can only ride on the weekends when the trails have all been groomed and are packed down. I decided I would rather have the steering control and little or no darting over deep snow capability.

·
Registered
4 Posts
then you will love the SLT skis.

I ran them this weekend to avoid the trailer hassles I was having. The SLTs are the ultimate trail ski.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I wish I would have waited for your ski test before I put the Simmons on! I love the fact that they do not dart, but it sounds to me that the SLT skis are better? Do they prevent the tracking associated with going into other ski grooves on the trail?

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
The precision ski's are a bit narrower than the Simmon's. Maybe that's why some don't like them in the powder. I was just out west and my wife's Renegade did fine in the powder with the precisions. The Simmon's are an outstanding all around ski. They are a bit expensive but worth every penny in my mind. Like I mentioned before. Go to the snowest site and do a search. Mountain riders absolutely love the Simmon's ski's.

I even thought the Simmon's may have out performed my stock summit mountain ski which is an excellent off trail ski. I changed to Simmon's because with the stock ski's it still darted some in the trail. The skidoo mountain ski does not have duel carbides.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Rob, do the SLP SLT skis eliminate all the wandering, tracking, darting as least as good as the Powder Pro skis? I was considering the Powder Pros, but sheeze.... WHAT POWDER!!! We've got about 1" of snow here in Empire, and THAT seems like a LOT compared to what we've had the last few months! At this point I'm even regretting that I installed the 1 3/8" sno-pro track on my std!

Anyway, if more toe-out (1/2"???) or shims under the rubber ski saddle don't help or eliminate the tracking/darting of the stock Cat skis, I'm definitely going to have to try a better set of skis. Any additional feedback is -- as always -- GREATLY appreciated! -- Roy

·
Registered
4 Posts
Originally posted by Roy T@Jan 13 2003, 05:43 PM
Rob, do the SLP SLT skis eliminate all the wandering, tracking, darting as least as good as the Powder Pro skis? I was considering the Powder Pros, but sheeze.... WHAT POWDER!!! We've got about 1" of snow here in Empire, and THAT seems like a LOT compared to what we've had the last few months! At this point I'm even regretting that I installed the 1 3/8" sno-pro track on my std!

Anyway, if more toe-out (1/2"???) or shims under the rubber ski saddle don't help or eliminate the tracking/darting of the stock Cat skis, I'm definitely going to have to try a better set of skis. Any additional feedback is -- as always -- GREATLY appreciated! -- Roy
If anything the SLT skis track even better than the Powder Pros (less darting). And with the SLTs you have the option of using the keel blades, which eliminate 100% of the darting (however they do create some drag). Jane uses the SLTs with the keel blades and will use no other :D Also the SLTs are 6" wide and don't create the trailer problem like the 7" wide Powder Pros do. Too bad we don't live closer, as I'd let you try both skis on your sled.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Originally posted by rob@Jan 13 2003, 06:05 PM
Too bad we don't live closer, as I'd let you try both skis on your sled.
Well hey... I never have been to Vermont! Sounds like maybe I should be looking at the SLTs. Thanks again for the feedback Rob! -- Roy

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well I've decided to get a pair of the powder pros, as it will fit my riding style best, and from everyone elses comments. Thanks, nothing better than knowing your not wasting your money on something your not sure of. How should you align the skis toe out or in.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I left my alignment where it was.. Shoot for 1/4" toe out measured at the front and rear of the carbides. Makes them dead stable on roads and ruts. If I get a chance this week I'll take some new pictures of doing the toe on the SLTs and Powder Pros.

ALSO... I have received a set of C&As, and I will be testing those soon also.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts