Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I was out riding . Came out of a trail on to hardpacked road , Nailed the throttle for about 3-5 sec. When I let off It sounded like something let loose. I stopped checked to see if I Blew a belt. Couldn't find anything . Started again, same thing happened. This time I could feel it. The sound seemed to come from the clutch side. Checked all clutches. The only thing I found was the drive clutch had some marks in where the spider cames out. Babyed the sled back home tried it one more time and nothing bad happened. Checked everything out can't find nothing. Is it possible the probllem possibly in thedrive clutch? What ever it is it doesn't feel good!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Originally posted by Hookedup@Jan 23 2003, 06:29 PM
Today I was out riding . Came out of a trail on to hardpacked road , Nailed the throttle for about 3-5 sec. When I let off It sounded like something let loose. I stopped checked to see if I Blew a belt. Couldn't find anything . Started again, same thing happened. This time I could feel it. The sound seemed to come from the clutch side. Checked all clutches. The only thing I found was the drive clutch had some marks in where the spider cames out. Babyed the sled back home tried it one more time and nothing bad happened. Checked everything out can't find nothing. Is it possible the probllem possibly in thedrive clutch? What ever it is it doesn't feel good!!!!!!!!!!!
It was ice in the tunnel letting go.. Makes a hell of a noise and can scare you. Sometimes a chuck will get caught up top and you'll hear and feel it for miles.

A good practice to get into is take a hammer and knock the ice out of the back of the tunnel each morning before you ride. You wouldn't believe the size of the chunks we've been getting out this week.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Rob I never thought about that. That very well could be the problem. The more I think about it , I think it may be. Thanks Rob. I will still keep an eye out.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
As Rob said, my first bet would be ROCK-HARD ice chunks bouncing between the track and the front of the bulkhead and heat exchanger -- can make some VERY unnerving and scary sounds to say the least! -- Roy

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
It's got to be the ice. Told a guy on a another post this too, but he didn't seem to believe us. My friend had his ZRT pulled into a garage to look for problems, but it was just the ice. I think it's waaay worse since we are riding here in Vermont with temps around -5 to -10 at night. You stop for 10 minutes and the whole friggin tunnel freezes up!

·
Registered
340 Posts
Was out last night and got into an area w/ lot's of moguls. After riding through it, my son noticed a noise and vibration in track area. It turned out to be ice. Cleared itself after a few minutes of riding. Really makes you think something is broken.

·
Registered
978 Posts
i bet u get u ould get a pices wedged in there pretty good? could it damagae the drive/track/lower jackshaft or bearing? hahah theres so many names for that shaft i just dont know what to say

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
I ran over a bone in a field a few weeks back-it got impaled on one of the studs and made a hell of a racket. I thought sure something was toast but after I pulled the bone off I checked everything out underneath and it looked fine. :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've found out that if you let your sled sit and idle for about five minutes-or maybe a little bit longer after your done riding it, the sled will melt out the snow in the tunnel, instead of hammering it out. Its worked for me anyway.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Originally posted by catmastertech5@Jan 24 2003, 01:30 PM
I've found out that if you let your sled sit and idle for about five minutes-or maybe a little bit longer after your done riding it, the sled will melt out the snow in the tunnel, instead of hammering it out. Its worked for me anyway.
Right on...We'll always idle the sleds at the end of the day...the ice always comes off after we bang the track against the ground a couple of times. I've never had to chisel pieces out.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Just another suggestion. Change your belt and see if it does it again. I did the same thing on my ZR a couple years ago. I had just studded it and it made this chunking noise and sounded like the studs were hitting in the tunnel. It rode like something was hanging up somewere. I spent weeks trying to figure it out without being able to ride it because I thought the studs were hitting the heat exchanger somewhere and I didn't want to tear those up. Someone told me to change the belt even though it looked fine and thats what it was. I felt like an ass and lost valuble riding time. Turns out I chunked the belt revving it to get it off the trailer and that what made the noise.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Originally posted by the snowman@Jan 24 2003, 04:53 PM
Just another suggestion. Change your belt and see if it does it again. I did the same thing on my ZR a couple years ago. I had just studded it and it made this chunking noise and sounded like the studs were hitting in the tunnel. It rode like something was hanging up somewere. I spent weeks trying to figure it out without being able to ride it because I thought the studs were hitting the heat exchanger somewhere and I didn't want to tear those up. Someone told me to change the belt even though it looked fine and thats what it was. I felt like an ass and lost valuble riding time. Turns out I chunked the belt revving it to get it off the trailer and that what made the noise.
I had a guy pack up and go home from a ride last year for the very same reason. Flat spotted a brand new belt because the track was frozen down getting off the trailer...one little flat spot was making the thing act like the track was falling off. Marc

1 - 20 of 20 Posts