Hardcore Sledder banner

81 - 100 of 187 Posts

·
Administrator
20,653 Posts
I have a 19 Lariat 502A with a 2.7 and I am impressed with the little motor. I came from a 17 with a 5.0L and it does everything as well as the 5.0 except that the V8 sounds better. Ford had some pretty aggressive programs on 502As with 2.7s in the winter. I lease mine and it was cheaper to get the Lariat with a 2.7 than it was to get an XLT 302A with a 5.0L.
The 2.7 is good if you're using your truck like a car and just driving around or commuting all year long. Use it as an actual truck to tow anything and that's where the 2.7 lacks. Granted, if you RARELY tow it can be an adequate trade-off but for those who want to use it as a truck ... the 2.7 is lacking. I will say though, I have a buddy who really does use his 2019 2.7 as a daily driver / commuter and it's a nice rig!

·
Super Advanced Member
2,227 Posts
If you shop smart, you can get a 2019 F250 for around 33-38K.
That might be my next truck...all of the 1/2 tons these days seem to have enough power, even the little 5.3 in my Sierra has 383 ft-lbs torque, but with towing heavy loads the bigger footprint and weight is nice to have.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
I
The 2.7 is good if you're using your truck like a car and just driving around or commuting all year long. Use it as an actual truck to tow anything and that's where the 2.7 lacks. Granted, if you RARELY tow it can be an adequate trade-off but for those who want to use it as a truck ... the 2.7 is lacking. I will say though, I have a buddy who really does use his 2019 2.7 as a daily driver / commuter and it's a nice rig!
I primarily use my F150 as a daily driver. All I pull is my Triton clamshell, a couple of Seadoos and occasionally my 22 ft bowrider. For these purposes, the 2.7 is a major over achiever. I can set the cruise at 115km/h with 2 sleds in the trailer and you dont even know there is anything on the back. I dont know how confident I would be to haul a 4 place enclosed loaded with sleds all the time though? I admit, I bought it because it was a good deal. I would get another one if the deal was there, but I would probably go back to a 5L if the price was closer.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I went with a 2015 F150 because of the recommendations of my friends. Its 5.0 is a solid engine with reliable power for hauling a trailer. It has an aluminum body. Some of the mods I did so far are new exhaust, tinted windows, bakflip tonneau cover, driver's side bed step, and a leveling kit.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
I am sure I will get roasted for saying so, that's fine, I can take it, but the Ecoboost has LOTS of issues. 100k, start looking to dump it. I rebuild engines for a living, so, I don't know anything.

·
Insane Madcatter
06 F7 EFI / 00 MXZ 600
126 Posts
Is there any substance to the F250's having a death wobble?
Anybody got info on this?

·
Administrator
20,653 Posts
I am sure I will get roasted for saying so, that's fine, I can take it, but the Ecoboost has LOTS of issues. 100k, start looking to dump it. I rebuild engines for a living, so, I don't know anything.
I find it somewhat ironic to read this, as I've now had several issues repaired & now looking at a 3rd issue in the span of the last 6 months (my truck is at 89K miles). I had the electronic throttle body failure, last Fall, where the truck starts to shimmy and it loses power & you have to pull over and turn the truck off / back on to reset. There's a TSB on that, but of course the issue happened well after my warranty expired so I had to foot the bill. I had a drivetrain issue where I could feel a vibration which was ultimately diagnosed as a bad wheel bearing (and yes, I've had the IWE issue too as I have a Lariat). Now, this past weekend while I was gone on a trip with the guys, my wife called to say the Check Engine light came on. Needless to say, I'm looking to dump this truck sooner rather than later ... and I don't think I'm going to be replacing it with another Ford. I have really enjoyed this truck, up until the quality issues. Great power for a 6-cylinder and the turbo is a definite bonus (Sport Mode is also a nice smile maker!)

Never thought I'd consider a Ram, but that's what I'm looking at for my next truck.

·
Registered
40,007 Posts
From what people have told me over the last few months of owning the latest truck models... they all have issues, just pick your poison. A customer at my buddies garage just unloaded his chevy colorado due all the 8 speed transmission issues he's had. He's now got an order in for the new dakota. Might end up to be another can of worms.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
From what people have told me over the last few months of owning the latest truck models... they all have issues, just pick your poison. A customer at my buddies garage just unloaded his chevy colorado due all the 8 speed transmission issues he's had. He's now got an order in for the new dakota. Might end up to be another can of worms.

Pretty much. The gm direct injected ls engines, the on demand engines, all makes, anything with either a cam adjustable timing chain, to the cylinder on demand bs, it's all junk, all implemented by the corrupt EPA to make vehicles so expensive at some point, no one will be able to afford them.

·
Registered
40,007 Posts
Pretty much. The gm direct injected ls engines, the on demand engines, all makes, anything with either a cam adjustable timing chain, to the cylinder on demand bs, it's all junk, all implemented by the corrupt EPA to make vehicles so expensive at some point, no one will be able to afford them.
From what i gather the gm motor wasn't his problem, The 8 speed automatic in it was. Lots of shuttering with hard shifts that were never fixed by the dealer.

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
Just paid 5300 bucks to have the transmission replaced in my 2 year old truck. Gm would not warranty it. I am not happy about it

·
Registered
40,007 Posts
Just paid 5300 bucks to have the transmission replaced in my 2 year old truck. Gm would not warranty it. I am not happy about it
From what i have been told with this 2 year old gm colorado the transmission had been replaced around 30k miles, and roughly 7k miles later the same issue happened to the replacement one. He threatened gm with the lemon law after they told him nothing more could be done. Apparently gm wouldn't warranty the 2nd one either.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
From what i gather the gm motor wasn't his problem, The 8 speed automatic in it was. Lots of shuttering with hard shifts that were never fixed by the dealer.

100,000 K, and the engines have issues too. The direct injection causes a lot of issues with primarily the intake valves and seating. They get so crudded up with carbon they wipe out guides, and have sealing issues. Not to mention, when the back side of the intake valve is so covered in crud, it blocks half the flow into the cylinder, and it kills power.

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
I would stay away from the older ecoboost. 2018 ecoboost and up is a multiport engine. Has an injector before the intake valves to clean them. 100,000 miles it was normal to have cam past phase due to chain stretch, it only had one chain tensioner. The variable valve timing could adjust it, but only to a point. 2018 and up they have 2 chain tensioners to keep that chain from doing that. Also the guy I know of who works on ecoboost says change your oil often. Don't wait to do it until the truck says so or the boom says. Always synthetic. Let it idle longer to get the oil moving in the turbos. Use the automatic start in the winter in the mornings to get the oil warmed up before the turbos start working. And drive it hard. Its a fun engine that shouldnt be babied. That will help clean the intake port and valve too. It also helps keep the wastegate clean. Ones that are babied can make the wastegate get dirty and stick. Resulting in power loss, mpg loss, and eventual turbo damage.

You can't ever go 200,000 miles with no issues. No matter how hard we wish.

·
Registered
40,007 Posts
I would stay away from the older ecoboost. 2018 ecoboost and up is a multiport engine. Has an injector before the intake valves to clean them. 100,000 miles it was normal to have cam past phase due to chain stretch, it only had one chain tensioner. The variable valve timing could adjust it, but only to a point. 2018 and up they have 2 chain tensioners to keep that chain from doing that. Also the guy I know of who works on ecoboost says change your oil often. Don't wait to do it until the truck says so or the boom says. Always synthetic. Let it idle longer to get the oil moving in the turbos. Use the automatic start in the winter in the mornings to get the oil warmed up before the turbos start working. And drive it hard. Its a fun engine that shouldnt be babied. That will help clean the intake port and valve too. It also helps keep the wastegate clean. Ones that are babied can make the wastegate get dirty and stick. Resulting in power loss, mpg loss, and eventual turbo damage.

Basically what your saying is we have given up some long term reliability/longevity for more performance, and better fuel economy. I kind of liked it better the other way.

·
Registered
943 Posts

My Dad has a Raptor with the EcoBoost. While impressive, I will stick to my Chevy V8s. 200k on my 6.0 currently.

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Good luck with trade in values right now, vehicle sales are in the toilet. Especially used. Rates are so stupid low that you'd be insane to buy used and the market reflects that. There is way too much used inventory and nothing is selling. I just tried to make a deal happen but my '17 Sierra is worth 7 grand less than what it was just 4 months ago.

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Not exactly. If you take care of your stuff in depth then no. I've been hauling stuff with underpowered engines my whole life, v6 and v8. I'm glad to finally have something actually efficient for once. More pulling power and better mpg on long hauls. If it means paying attention to a bit more on maintenance, ill do it.

81 - 100 of 187 Posts