Hardcore Sledder banner

61 - 80 of 187 Posts

·
Registered
883 Posts
It is two inches shorter. If you have an issue with two inches, betting your wife does as well. 😂 Have not had any rust problems with my last 3 Rams. last one that did was my 05 and every brand had the same issues. I have seen 2012-2014 Fords and chevy's with rusted boxes around here.

·
Registered
883 Posts
What's with the odd sized 6'4" bed? That's a no go for me right there. Not sure that Ram isn't still a rust prone bucket like it always was?
The Ford sounds great and all being all aluminum body but it has it's demons as well. We had a work truck get a dent in the back of the box. Steel box would have been fixed by pulling the dent out. Cant do that with aluminum as it stretches. Had to have the entire outer box side replaced to the tune of over $3,500.00. Not sure how they can be insured as low as a steel bodied pickup. door ding will be the same outer having to be replaced. Every thing built today comes with a cost.

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
It's a 2013 so first gen? He had to have the timing chain replaced. And after he had that done one of the turbos went out which is why the truck sat all last winter. The EB puts out a ton of torque for a half ton which was tempting but after witnessing what my buddy went though with his, yeah no thanks.
Yeah thats the first gen ecoboost. I was warned about that engine. The new version is supposed to be much better. So far for me it has been.

·
Registered
3,181 Posts
It's a 2013 so first gen? He had to have the timing chain replaced. And after he had that done one of the turbos went out which is why the truck sat all last winter. The EB puts out a ton of torque for a half ton which was tempting but after witnessing what my buddy went though with his, yeah no thanks.
A few yrs ago I worked on an 2011 ecoboost that a local fella bought for his teenage son. No low end power and pass side cam timing codes. Replaced the chain and gears, was expensive. Ran good when done. Came back a few weeks later, catalytic inefficiency and P0297. Replaced the cat and the vehicle overspeed code was interesting. Couple months later it shot the center rods out the block. Customer very unhappy but okayed new engine and turbos.

·
Super Moderator
9,557 Posts
The 3.5 eco boost is great for drivin around empty, and light towing. YES it will pull big trailers, but it will cry the whole time, suck fuel, and sway all over the place.
Make sure you get LT tires on it, not P, passenger car tires.
I get many customers in here, that buy the wrong truck for their towing needs, hence my positive attitude! :p

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Many contractors bought fleets of Rams because of their cheap price..Trucks were 2 yrs old sitting on lots.
Now most have traded for Fords cuz Rams spent most of the time in the shop..
Ram truck of the Year..Same a snow trax and Pol.sleds...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Regarding tuned EB trucks, I think I can help as that what I do for a living. The gen2 3.5 has great potential out of the box. 100+hp gains are pretty normal with just a pump gas tune. An E50 tune puts them about 200hp over stock, or 500-550whp, which also translates to a very low 12, or high 11's at the track.

I personally drive a 2.7 truck with big turbos that's in the mid 500whp range on e85.

Feel free to message me or check out my company if you want more info, www.brewcityboost.com

For anyone with a 10speed F-150, you should be looking at the nGauge when it comes to devices for tuning.

Hope that helps

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
The 3.5 eco boost is great for drivin around empty, and light towing. YES it will pull big trailers, but it will cry the whole time, suck fuel, and sway all over the place.
I get many customers in here, that buy the wrong truck for their towing needs, hence my positive attitude! :p
That's interesting because I watched a real world test of the 2018 f150 line up pulling 7000 lbs. The 3.5 got better fuel mileage towing and downshifted less going up hills compared to the 5.0 on the exact same route.

·
Registered
441 Posts
That's interesting because I watched a real world test of the 2018 f150 line up pulling 7000 lbs. The 3.5 got better fuel mileage towing and downshifted less going up hills compared to the 5.0 on the exact same route.
Did they show the EGTs while doing it?

I personally know of one high mileage tuned EB it was a 14crew short bed, w/ 6" lift 37 1250 tires also had an AFE intake and exhaust...at some point it got boost piping and a inter-cooler because he put it in a ditch... We always check the MPG gauges when trucks came in to the shop for reference... that was by far the worst, not saying it was all the trucks fault, buddy ran the bag off it. When it was first built it ran good. sounded like dog shit with the exhaust kit.

I still see the tuck running still today, new owner so I have not clue what kind of parts its required to keep going. IT had high miles 3 years ago, don't remember the number exactly.

i love the thought of the easy power gains of the eco boob.

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Did they show the EGTs while doing it?

I personally know of one high mileage tuned EB it was a 14crew short bed, w/ 6" lift 37 1250 tires also had an AFE intake and exhaust...at some point it got boost piping and a inter-cooler because he put it in a ditch... We always check the MPG gauges when trucks came in to the shop for reference... that was by far the worst, not saying it was all the trucks fault, buddy ran the bag off it. When it was first built it ran good. sounded like dog shit with the exhaust kit.

I still see the tuck running still today, new owner so I have not clue what kind of parts its required to keep going. IT had high miles 3 years ago, don't remember the number exactly.

i love the thought of the easy power gains of the eco boob.
They did not show the egt. Both thrucks were 100% stock. Even factory tires. It was a dealership that did it. Both units had the mpg calculations reset at the starting point of the trip. Both were 2018s too. Which I'm sure have different results as the older ones.

1. I will say that it seems like anything done to the trucks are sensitive to mpg loss. Checking on a facebook page for these trucks people who even put on a leveling kit only, lose mpg. Bigger wheels is also a mpg loss. And thats unloaded too.

·
Registered
441 Posts
They did not show the egt. Both thrucks were 100% stock. Even factory tires. It was a dealership that did it. Both units had the mpg calculations reset at the starting point of the trip. Both were 2018s too. Which I'm sure have different results as the older ones.

1. I will say that it seems like anything done to the trucks are sensitive to mpg loss. Checking on a facebook page for these trucks people who even put on a leveling kit only, lose mpg. Bigger wheels is also a mpg loss. And thats unloaded too.
I worked at an off road shop, so my comparison would be to trucks with same kind of modifications.

I knew they didn't show egt it was rhetorical, way to in depth for selling trucks, reason I said that is when the vehicle doesn't shift down but the same load is applied the EGT is going to rise in a boosted app. which may lead to premature failure over time. It might not also....

When it comes to anything, people are always so focused on power numbers of the engine but NEVER look at the gear ratio in the axles. the biggest problem with GM they sell a lot of half tons with shitty ratios. people calling them gutless because they have 3.20somethings lowest one you can get is 3.73. Its also another reason why people complain about Rams having bad mileage... they had no clue they came with a 3.92s but they haul the mail.

need to look at the whole package i guess, its not easy to get all the info from the dealers sometimes, they just want to sell whats on the lot.

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
I worked at an off road shop, so my comparison would be to trucks with same kind of modifications.

I knew they didn't show egt it was rhetorical, way to in depth for selling trucks, reason I said that is when the vehicle doesn't shift down but the same load is applied the EGT is going to rise in a boosted app. which may lead to premature failure over time. It might not also....

When it comes to anything, people are always so focused on power numbers of the engine but NEVER look at the gear ratio in the axles. the biggest problem with GM they sell a lot of half tons with shitty ratios. people calling them gutless because they have 3.20somethings lowest one you can get is 3.73. Its also another reason why people complain about Rams having bad mileage... they had no clue they came with a 3.92s but they haul the mail.

need to look at the whole package i guess, its not easy to get all the info from the dealers sometimes, they just want to sell whats on the lot.
Yeah going uphill I hear the turbos spooled up. It prefers to build boost over downshift. But downshifting and increased rpm would also increase egt. How much over more boost and low rpm?? I have no idea. Either way. The 3.5 outperformed the 5.0 in towing in 2018 for stock trucks.

·
Registered
826 Posts
I just sold my 2013 eco boost platnium with 94,600 and loved the truck and the motor better, i now have a 2020 eco and also love the motor and have had great success with the trucks and motors, i change oil at 4000 miles and used mobil 1 and always have. i like it best when towing my tractors to shows and sleds it's a beast on the hitch.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Yeah going uphill I hear the turbos spooled up. It prefers to build boost over downshift. But downshifting and increased rpm would also increase egt. How much over more boost and low rpm?? I have no idea. Either way. The 3.5 outperformed the 5.0 in towing in 2018 for stock trucks.
Well the 5.0 in a full size truck is a pig.....

·
Registered
757 Posts
Yep....This is it in a nutshell......Light duty towing, fun unloaded....

·
Registered
757 Posts
It is two inches shorter. If you have an issue with two inches, betting your wife does as well. 😂 Have not had any rust problems with my last 3 Rams. last one that did was my 05 and every brand had the same issues. I have seen 2012-2014 Fords and chevy's with rusted boxes around here.
Nothing rusts like a Dodge!!!!!!! And my extra 2 inches just gets in the way......

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
Well after shopping around I've decided to stick with my current ride. Used prices to have fallen way off and the new prices haven't. There was a 10k trade difference between last September and now. Then factor in the interest rates (I currently have 0% for 84) and the monthly payment jumps $200+ a month. I was really banking on having more equity in my truck, but not the case.

There is a 19 Ram I may go after as it is discounted 20k off sticker (and probably 15k cheaper then the F150 I was after).

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
Nothing rusts like a Dodge!!!!!!!
I've owned 3 (99, 08 and my 16) and none have any rust at all. Keep them cleaned and undercoated and they'll last. I got a good buck for my 08 when I sold it (2016) because of the shape it was in.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
I have a 19 Lariat 502A with a 2.7 and I am impressed with the little motor. I came from a 17 with a 5.0L and it does everything as well as the 5.0 except that the V8 sounds better. Ford had some pretty aggressive programs on 502As with 2.7s in the winter. I lease mine and it was cheaper to get the Lariat with a 2.7 than it was to get an XLT 302A with a 5.0L.

61 - 80 of 187 Posts