Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 188 Posts

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off I'm a Ram guy and on my 3rd one now. Current ride is a 16 sport CC. Has a touch over 90000kms on it. I've had a few issues come up lately and I'm thinking about moving on instead of putting money into it.

So I'm contemplating a new F-150 lariat with the sport appearance package. Wanting the 3.5 eco for the easy of tuning potential in the future. Not interested in the 5L as its the same power as what I currently have in the Hemi.

So any issues with current 3.5L? Or the ford in general? Anyone turn one up? Resaults?

Also have my eye on a new 19 Ram. Its a loaded sport and is sweet as hell.

Obviously its hard to get into showroom with dealerships being closed. Ultimately trade in value will be key in any vehicle purchase, so untill things open again I'm basically window shopping lol.

Pls keep this on track to F-150 info. I know my Rams and could careless about the other brands.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
79 Posts
On my 3rd F150 just picked up a 2019 3.5 eco SCrew Lariat SE in Oxford White. The motor is great, lots of power, tows great (7x16 inline Triton TC167), and is reasonable on gas 12.5-13 litre/100km. I put a 2" level and put on BFG K02's 275/65/20 they look and ride great, drops the mileage to about 13.5-14 litre/100km My buddy runs a 5 Star tune on his and he loves it, no issues. Overall great truck, I think the RAM has a bit better interior, but other than that Ford checks all the boxes for me

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thx for the reply. Funny truck I'm looking at is same as your just no stripes.

The interior of the Ram is definitely the best in the biz as far as I'm concerned. The 12" screen is cool. I havent been in a newer F-150 so itll be interesting to see how it compares.

Buddy bought a Denali last fall. For a "luxury truck" the interior isn't even on par with my 16. He even admits it isnt as nice as the ram he traded.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This the package I want. Seen it in Magma (deep burgundy) and it looks sweet too.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have a buddy with a Magma Red, they look cool as they change colour with different lighting. I have friends with 20 GMC, At4 and Denali, both very plain inside, both 6.2's and they are pigs on fuel, I do like the look of the Sierra's. If you put a level and a more aggressive tire on the F150's, they are the best looking truck in my opinion. Get adaptive cruise, it is amazing. The B&O stereo is pretty good as well.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
On my 3rd F150 just picked up a 2019 3.5 eco SCrew Lariat SE in Oxford White. The motor is great, lots of power, tows great (7x16 inline Triton TC167), and is reasonable on gas 12.5-13 litre/100km. I put a 2" level and put on BFG K02's 275/65/20 they look and ride great, drops the mileage to about 13.5-14 litre/100km My buddy runs a 5 Star tune on his and he loves it, no issues. Overall great truck, I think the RAM has a bit better interior, but other than that Ford checks all the boxes for me
I'm a little surprised by the fuel mileage. My Ram is very close to your truck, and I have 305/55/20 A/T's and 3.92 gear ratio. I thought the eco's would be better on fuel. Bud has a 2.7 and says it awesome, but a little under powered for me.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Reactions: snowcrazy1

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
I have a buddy that buys a new truck every 6-8 months
last 3 were GMC's (ford's mostly before them)
and then just got a f 150, not sure 100% on exact model but motor your looking at for sure
but his few complaints are, he hates the headlights says there very dull as to the GMC"S, complains the tailgate drops and no slow down LOL
says it tows OK, but thinks his GMC's had less sway and rode better when empty, NOT a big difference, just what he noticed
he said, model to model on price, the ford just seemed to have less things for the $$, not that they could not be added, just they didnl;t come standard as a like prices GMC he's been buying!

said he is going back to a GMC or a Dodge next time
again guy doesn;t keep rucks long, maybe 20,-25 000 miles and there gone

I think logically, the trucks today any brand are about the same in things, , they all make fully loaded one's and the other way and they all have there flaws and your just as likely to get a lemon on any badge these days
some will always be brand loyal and preach there brand is best
but there is no shortage of folks with"X" Brand that have a bad one, or a GREAT one

buy what you like and fits your needs!

if you really want to find known weak links on one model, get on a more brand model forum, , that's always the best, way, you'll get more feed back from real owners! IMO

·
Registered
739 Posts
i have the same color truck in sport package but it has 5 liter i know you are asking about the eco boost, but i love the truck and everything about it but the motor sutting off at the stop signs,i have to push a button to make it not do that.i hate it worst idea ever,the button should be if you want it to shut off.but great truck

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i have the same color truck in sport package but it has 5 liter i know you are asking about the eco boost, but i love the truck and everything about it but the motor sutting off at the stop signs,i have to push a button to make it not do that.i hate it worst idea ever,the button should be if you want it to shut off.but great truck
Is it only the v8 that shuts off? Or do they all do it? My buddies GM does it too, and I hate it. I know the hemi doesn't so thats a point in its favor. A turner should be able to turn that off I would guess, plus some more power.

·
Administrator
20,653 Posts
I like the looks of that white, with the black options on it. It's ranking a close second to the silver/black combo that I've been looking at! The 3.5 EB is a good engine, and is really good for the torque when it comes to towing - that's where I really appreciate the engine. It's fair on gas ... right around 22-23mpg in warm weather and down towards 18mpg in winter weather. Towing, it's a thirsty engine - I get around 12-13mpg towing a 2-place clam and in the summer I'm around 9mpg when pulling our 29' travel trailer.

As far as the Lariat goes, everyone that I know (including myself) that owns a 2013+ Lariat has had front end issues with the IWE. In fact, one of my buddies with a 2015 had his front hubs replaced altogether after having the IWE replaced under warranty previously. It doesn't happen on the XLT's because it's specific to the 4A (XLT's don't have 4A). It's a weird noise ... not a grinding noise, but more of a subtle vibration. Kind of like driving over really small/fine rumble strips. Nice riding vehicle though - and a good looking one, too.

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
Ecoboost 3.5 is awesome. Just keep the oil changed. more often then they say to. Direct injection/turbo have blow gets the oil dirty faster then a NA motor. Then people don't change oil and the timing chains go bad, cam phasers ect. Only thing is that a new f150 is coming out very soon.

·
Administrator
20,653 Posts
Ecoboost 3.5 is awesome. Just keep the oil changed. more often then they say to. Direct injection/turbo have blow gets the oil dirty faster then a NA motor. Then people don't change oil and the timing chains go bad, cam phasers ect. Only thing is that a new f150 is coming out very soon.
Good post - I forgot to mention the oil change intervals. Definitely best to do them more often vs. relying on the “oil life percentage” reading. And also good point about the new F150 coming.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Is it totally new or just a revamped version? I've seen on youtube about a new interior coming for next yr.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well seen what the prices are doing here in the next couple weeks. Assume 20's will come down if there is a new truck on the way.

Interior looks good. Front end kinda looks like a nissan at first glance. I'm really leaning to the white one I posted. Seen that package in a few different colours, magma and silver are in the mix too.

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
Well seen what the prices are doing here in the next couple weeks. Assume 20's will come down if there is a new truck on the way.

Interior looks good. Front end kinda looks like a nissan at first glance. I'm really leaning to the white one I posted. Seen that package in a few different colours, magma and silver are in the mix too.

yeah looks like interior and front end cosmetic changes mostly. hard to say what the prices will do. I think They had to shut down production so the price might not go down yet. All I know is a really like these trucks. My personal truck is a raptor, work truck is crew cab 2020 xlt. I Love driving these trucks.

·
Registered
739 Posts
not sure if the 3.5 shuts off at the stops or not but the 2.7 does so im thinking so.its only thing i dont like about the truck and i hate it.and i live in the country i couldnt imigine living in the city.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thx for the review. Good info. Towing mpg isn't a huge concern as I only pull a trailer a few times a yr.

What is the iwe? Assumes its an auto locking hub?

Anyone running a tuned 3.5? See the make some decent gains.

1 - 20 of 188 Posts