Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a rebuilt Kohler 340 Fan motor with new HewTech CDI. No problem getting fuel and has spark. But you can pull on it all day and it will not start. Tried using a spray bottle on it today and it fired on the first spray and then started and ran fine on the second spray. I let it warm up for awhile, then shut it down. After it had warmed up it started every time on the first pull " with no spray bottle". Seems like it only needs fuel sprayed in the carbs when it is cold.

This motor is ported and if my memorey serves me correctly, I think that I read someplace that PORTED motors need to be started with a spray bottle. Am I correct ?
Or is this motor just a little finicky ? The chokes work, but still it just won't fire, without a spritz in the carbs.

Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yuppers, idles just fine after starting. And has excellent throttle response. Will start on first pull every time after it is warmed up.

·
Premium Member
39,129 Posts
All my sleds are ported and none need a spray bottle to start them, perhaps your's isn't creating enough vacuum by pulling the rope to pull fuel from the float bowls.

Don

·
Registered
928 Posts
I would say either your chokes are out of adjustment or it is like XCR1250 said about the vacuum. Install a primer and you will be good to go.
Riley

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I have seen very aggressively ported engines that will not atomize fuel correctly when cold. How smooth are the intake tracts and inside the transfers in the cylinders?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Problem solved !!

Found a loose wire in the CDI connector. Don't ask me which wire or color as I don't even really remember. All I know is that the sled now runs.

Thanks for all your input ......... greatly appreciated.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts