Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there has been some discussion on what works best to polish aluminum. Maybe this isn't the best way but it worked good for me. I know a lot of people said the flitz ball didn't work very good for them. But for me, the flitz ball and flitz polish and about 20 minutes on each running board is all it took. Some people said they polished their tunnel for 2 hours, give me a brake.

One polished, one unpolished.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Originally posted by 128JetSnake@Oct 1 2005, 11:59 PM
I know there has been some discussion on what works best to polish aluminum. Maybe this isn't the best way but it worked good for me. I know a lot of people said the flitz ball didn't work very good for them. But for me, the flitz ball and flitz polish and about 20 minutes on each running board is all it took. Some people said they polished their tunnel for 2 hours, give me a brake.

One polished, one unpolished.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=903396
[/quote]
Looks nice :div20: Do it by hand and you will understand the 2 hr time figure.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Nice job, looks great.
Talking about polish, ....whats works the best to clean the dimond plate on my snowmobile trailer? Would the Flitz ball do the best job? or are we talking alot of elbow grease, Just got done waxing the trailer my arm is shot. :doh:

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
Originally posted by polaris4me@Oct 2 2005, 08:03 AM
Nice job, looks great.
Talking about polish, ....whats works the best to clean the dimond plate on my snowmobile trailer?  Would the Flitz ball do the best job? or are we talking alot of elbow grease, Just got done waxing the trailer my arm is shot. :doh:
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=903522
[/quote]

Mothers polish there are different grits you can start off ruff and get it like a mirror. I put a velcro backed lambs wool buffing wheel on the velcro air orbital sander. It is very fast and easy to buff all the bright work up. :div20:

·
Premium Member
‘21 Indy 600 SP 137 & 2015 RMK 155 LE
25,410 Posts
the "hours of polishing tunnels" comes from wet sanding, rubbing and polishing
them. yours looks very good but in all honesty, if it was wet sanded, then
rubbed then polished it would look like chrome. and THAT is where the "hours
of work" theory comes into play.

try some speedy metal polish for great results. works better than mothers,
flitz or any others i have tried.

here are some pics of "hours of polishing work" that i have. this is spankeys
sled. trust me, it is fucking BLING! and yes, many MANY hours into work like
this. :div20:

notice how even the bulkhead in the first pic is polished :eek:oh4:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Believe it or not, They use ultra polished aluminium mirrors for space telescopes and lasers. They are more reflective than a "glass" mirror when polished with the right stuff. Doug

·
Registered
5,676 Posts
omg! :Wow1:

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm sure they both look better in person, but the black FireCat don't look any better then mine. Look at the black and white sticker on mine and you can see the reflection in the running board almost looks as sharp as the real deal. But, either way it doesn't make a whole lot of sense getting too crazy when it don't last after riding.

·
Registered
230 Posts
the best polish is what the trugkers use. go down to a truck parts place and ask for jelewers rouse .three steps and a sealer nothing comes close.

Attachments

·
HCS We're Watching You !!
573 Posts
Mothers billet polish and what ?? a rag ??? just like regular car waxing or what ? I really wanna do this to my sled but i'm not sure what stuff to exactly get and how to apply it. And why is flitz ball and flitz cream/wax ???

·
Premium Member
‘21 Indy 600 SP 137 & 2015 RMK 155 LE
25,410 Posts
Originally posted by 128JetSnake@Oct 2 2005, 12:21 PM
I'm sure they both look better in person, but the black FireCat don't look any better then mine. Look at the black and white sticker on mine and you can see the reflection in the running board almost looks as sharp as the real deal. But, either way it doesn't make a whole lot of sense getting too crazy when it don't last after riding.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=903735
[/quote]

first off i will say that pictures really do not do spankey's cat any justice.
and further more, no offence but the tunnel on your sled is not very close
to the black ones. then again, he[spankey]is a little picky. his looks like
that all year long, even when he is out rideing.

it IS possible to keep them looking that nice, just takes a lot of work and
the right stuff. :div20:

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
toyota joe wins IMHO, looks awesome, i have used mothers polish and a mothers wheel with a lil bit of water on the final step and it comes out like a mirror.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Has anyone had experience with California Custom polsih products? Supposed to have great results with less effort.

California Custom Polish

Once the aluminum is polished, what works best to keep it looking good-just go over it with polish again periodically?

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
Originally posted by 128JetSnake@Oct 2 2005, 11:21 AM
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=903735
[/quote]

Yours looks good for a quick job, that's how I like to keep mine.

But in all honesty, no one in this thread, or on this site for that matter has EVER came close to what Spanky's sled looks like in person.

The tunnel attracts people's attention next to other polished tunnels (like mine)...it's truly like chrome.

Toyota Joe's looks good but you also have to remember, the more color the better it will look, and reflect.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts