Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
NOTHING TO SEE HERE, KEEP MOVING! IGNORE MY MULTIMILLION DOLLAR DEALS IN MILLINOCKET! IGNORE MY LOVE LETTERS TO QUIMBY! KEEP MOVING, NOTHING TO SEE HERE!!!!!

Public to sound off on Katahdin resort plan
By Nick Sambides Jr.
Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - Bangor Daily News

MILLINOCKET — By virtue of at least 14 written requests, the state Land Use Regulation Commission will hold a public hearing on businessman Matthew Polstein’s proposed $65 million upscale ecotourism resort in March or April.

The hearing, LURC Director Catherine Carroll said, will be held in Millinocket, probably at the Baxter State Park Authority offices on Balsam Drive because of available meeting space. Carroll hopes to discuss setting a hearing date with the commission when it meets on Feb. 7.

Exactly when the hearing will be set is uncertain because commission officials still are reviewing Polstein’s application in order to certify it complete and ready for review. Once that happens, a hearing can be held. Hearings require 30 days’ notice, Carroll said.

"This won’t go without some controversy and opposition, I am sure, but my observation is that Matt has been working diligently to address any issues or concerns that interested parties have regarding his project and to address those concerns prior to filing the application," Carroll said Friday.

Polstein said he welcomed a hearing. He had requested public hearings when he handed the zone change application and resort plan to LURC on Nov. 29, but was told by LURC staff to await other requests, he and Carroll said.

Polstein is a Millinocket town councilor who owns three businesses.

Sally Bouchard, Town Councilor David Cyr, John DiCentes, Kathy A. Gagnon and Alyce Maragus are among the signatories to the letters seeking a hearing, 12 of which were form letters.

All are political opponents of Polstein’s or contributors to the Magic City Morning Star Web site — magic-city-news.com — which Polstein blasted at a November Town Council meeting for reportedly conducting a smear campaign against him and his businesses, or they have opposed extensive expansion of town tourism businesses.

The Web site’s owners, Ken and Michele Anderson, have denied Polstein’s allegation.

Maragus said she wrote the LURC form letter and passed it out for the reasons the letter states.

LURC is not required to hold hearings on rezoning requests, but "Since this project will have a lasting [effect]on our area, I am hereby requesting that a public hearing be held in Millinocket so that the LURC staff can hear the opinions of those who will be most affected by this development," the letter states.

Polstein’s plan for Ktaadn Resorts calls for a community center, expanded Twin Pines camping ground, and a residential and mixed-use subdivision totaling 35 residential lots and 12 mixed-use town houses on 1,450 acres of Township 1 Range 8 along Millinocket Lake and Hammond Ridge.

He estimates it would create at least 100 full-time jobs, spur at least 60,000 visitor-days in the Katahdin region, or draw 17,000 tourists to his resort for about 3½ days each.

Some of the most interesting aspects of the proposed resort include agricultural centers, living and work space for artisans and other "creative economy" workers, and a traveler’s philanthropy program that encourages visitors to devote time, talent or money to the local economy.

If LURC approves the proposal, Polstein hopes to begin construction next fall. Total construction could take five to eight years, he has said.

Although she is skeptical of its viability, Maragus doesn’t necessarily oppose the project, but "any consideration that LURC will give to the natural beauty or the camps or camp owners up there should be given before that project gets off the ground floor," she said Tuesday.

Council Chairman David Nelson, who supports the project, agreed.

"My understanding of the process is that it works to ensure that all the voices are heard so that the people who are part of the LURC commission can make an informed decision on what’s best for that area and the region. So to have open hearings where people have a chance to speak on topic is important," he said. "As a member of the council, I plan to be there."

With Polstein abstaining and Councilor Jimmy Busque absent, the council voted 5-0 in October to support the project’s concept.

Carroll said the commission could have a decision in six months. Commissioners hope to finish reviewing Polstein’s project before they take on the much larger, and more controversial, Plum Creek development plan.[/b]

·
Registered
121 Posts
The thing about Polestein, is he's a tough nut to crack. You can point things out, like the evidence pointing towards snowmobiliers eventually being given the heave-ho, but Polestein then adamantly denies it. He responds with "look at all I do for you snowmobiliers - I groom the rocks and mud to the Millinocket motels so you can get to better trails". But a little latter on, he states that the Millinocket motels being full means his facilities are also full. Wait a minute here, I thought he was doing all this rock and mud grooming to get us to the good riding, as he's also a hardcore snowmobilier and understands our passion. And here he's making statements about the prime directive of being full and padding his wallet? Just exactly what are his motivations?

Trying to uncover the real truths behind Polestein's motives is quite maddening indeed. I can point out to Polestein how the evidence adds up and seems to point a certain way that doesn't reflect well upon his role in our sport. Polestein then responds, "Venturer, you're all wet, your facts don't line up, I'm the snowmobilier's friend". I'm left thinking, yes, you do appear to be the snowmobilier's friend now with all you do for the trails, but what about these groups you align yourself with and the content of the correspondence that you send to these groups? I'm left with nagging doubts that Polestein isn't answering, because quite frankly, he can't answer, as then the real truth would be revealed. This real truth won't be revealed until sometime in the future, so ole Venturer's preoccupation with the future must mean that Venturer is a conspiracy theorist. It couldn't possibly be that Venturer has a genuine concern about the future of our sport and sees someone involved in that sport that doesn't appear to share the same values as the majority of snowmobiliers. Polestein making statements about "snowmobiling being less critical" will do that to a guy.

So what is Polestein's real truth? He's not going to come right out and tell us. Let's look at what we have to go on then. I've read his LURC application and looked at his maps for the resort. Do you think this resort is our kind of place with its white table cloth restaurant, private clubhouse and conference center? Snowmobile trails will be crossing the resort property for now. Curious that they are routed to the periphery of the property, with no groomed trail running up to that white tablecloth restaurant or groomed trail running between the lake and the white tablecloth restaurant. Hmmm.

Polestein's biggest immediate problem will be the well healed tourist enjoying his white tablecloth dinner is not going to be too impressed by the piped snowmobiliers pulling in, reeking of snowmobile fumes, as they come into the restaurant. This resort will be ground zero for a clash of cultures, the well healed passive recreation crowd vs. the snowmobiliers. Seems like a strange way to build a business; to have 2 distinctive use groups in such close quarters, at each other's throat. I wouldn't want such a culture war to be the centerpiece of my business plan. This is why I strongly believe that once Polestein reaches critical Mass with the well healed tourists, and can support the resort entirely by passive recreation, we snowmobiliers will then be given the heave-ho. It's our destiny. Look at the evidence. Look at the LURC resort application. The resort certainly looks like it's set up for the well healed passive recreation folks to me. After we're pushed out, we'll then be asking ourselves, why didn't we see this coming? Why did we let this guy sweet talk us, cozy up to us, and then brutally blindside us?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Here's the link to Polestein's Resort LURC Application. Download damn quick before the link is pulled!

http://www.forumprofi.de/forum5903/matthew...-t756.html#6083

That forum that hosts these documents is the pro-Polestein forum. The man himself even posts under his first name. Kind of an interesting read. Compare that forum with the Magic City Morning Star forum. No doubt about. There are 2 groups with entirely opposing viewpoints battling it out in Millinocket, and our sport is invariably tied into it. Makes me want to jump on the sled and take a nice relaxing ride.

·
Registered
5,676 Posts
POLESTEIN'S ONLY FRIEND IS....[/b]
*hits print 100000000 times and buys out polestein, quimby and the rest. Problem solved :beerchug:

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
THANK YOU VENTURER! I was starting to feel alone out here in the dark screaming THE BRITISH ARE COMING and having everyone either scratching their heads going "HUH?" or just plain brushing it off. You explained everything out perfectly. I guess I haven't done that well enough to get people to understand whats going on. My bad. I guess its time for Polestein to show up in here and start telling people to "call me for the real story" like he was doing at Sledpolestein.com :) (that was for you d.)

·
Registered
121 Posts
What is it that I want Polestein to do? I want him to man-up, resign from any snowmobile committee he's on, like Baldacci's Snowmobile Trail Fund Advisory Committee, and then tell the state that he can no longer do the grooming in Millinocket because quite frankly, he has other priorities. In short, I want Polestein out of our sport.

I want Polestein to man up and say, "I'm shifting my focus and devoting my time to this multi-million dollar resort that I'm building for the well healed beautiful people. I'm changing my focus to these flush with cash and flush with time retiring baby boomers who are looking for a pristine natural experience, all the while being cradled in the lap of luxury. They are less of a hassle than you snowmobiliers. I only have to groom 20 miles of cross country ski trails a couple times a week, not 80 miles of snowmobile trail almost every damn night. These well healed tourists are less bother, plus way more reliable. They'll come up to my resort to relax on a snowless New Years, like we just had. So snowmobiliers, like I tell my good friend Roxanne Quimby, "Good luck in your current and future endeavors".

·
Registered
121 Posts
Some more perspectives on the Polestein situation from the As Maine Goes Forum. Some interesting observations on how those who speak out have been dealt with and the mentality in Millinocket on why more people don't speak out. The momentum is certainly going Polestein's way. He has sized the political situation up quite well and has capitalized on it. The man knows how to execute a plan.

Here's the link: http://www.asmainegoes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=39733

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Venturer's got this one pegged for sure. This is just the start boys. Matt is the tip of the iceberg. Once a year
I go to BSP in the outlying campsites and mingle with the lefties. There is lots of "out of state" money and ambition
to change the way we do business in this state. Matts concept will have resounding approval from the non sledding community, there is a lot for many to gain from this except for us and the sportsman. Yes Evil, you have been calling it right, but most turn the other cheek to voicing against political correctness nowadays IMO.

·
Registered
121 Posts
There's another thread going over on the As Maine Goes Forum titled "Miffed in Millinocket", and they're not talking about the snowmobiliers being miffed that there's no riding in Millinocket. It gives some background on the whole Polestein issue, on Polestein's politics, and why people feel so strongly about someone who is so enmeshed in our sport in Millinocket. There's some good give and take with opposing viewpoints.

Here's the link: http://www.asmainegoes.com/forum/viewtopic...434&start=0

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Venturer's got this one pegged for sure. This is just the start boys. Matt is the tip of the iceberg. Once a year
I go to BSP in the outlying campsites and mingle with the lefties. There is lots of "out of state" money and ambition
to change the way we do business in this state. Matts concept will have resounding approval from the non sledding community, there is a lot for many to gain from this except for us and the sportsman. Yes Evil, you have been calling it right, but most turn the other cheek to voicing against political correctness nowadays IMO.[/b]
Thank you for the vote of confidence. People like Mike either don't get it, or just don't WANT to get it because it means they might have to do something about it. I simply want to spread the word and expose things for what they are. Others get uncomfortable, or they are on the other side of the fence. My bewilderment is why anyone who is a snowmoblier would feel comfortable giving ground, or feel comfortable doing business with someone that is planning on knifing the whole sled community in the back after he has bled the turnip dry. He will jump ship the eco-tourist as soon as he figures there is no more money to be made off snowmobilers. It is very obvious to me and it should be to Mike as well, but all Mike can do is critisize/shoot the messager. Again I think Polestein feels he is the smartest man in the room, and the rest of us are dumb, blind, morons that can't even tie our shoes, let alone figure out his master plan.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I for one think Polstiens plan has a major flaw. Passive recreationalist are just that. They won't I believe in large numbers flock hundreds of miles into central Maine in the winter for a little snow fun. They want to be with there kids or at there house on the coast during the holidays. They want to be for the most part in a warm climate all winter. Even the hikers and camp people want things to be wrapped up by the end of october. Thats why I don't get it. The hunters and sledders take over when the whimps go home. Pissing off the hunters and sledders makes no sense to me. Perhaps Polstien is fustrated with the lack of snow and thinks by changing the direction of his business he will keep or make his fortune. Even the sled dealers I visit seem to be down on the sport. A motel owner in march of 05 said six of the last seven years there was less than an average snow fall in her part of maine. She said their buget is based on what they can make spring through fall. Winter/sledder activity is just a bonus. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Perhaps Polstien is fustrated with the lack of snow and thinks by changing the direction of his business he will keep or make his fortune. Even the sled dealers I visit seem to be down on the sport.[/b]
I think there is much more truth in this comment than people would think. I seem to hear a lot more bitching and grumbling from dealers when the weather is bad for snow. They hate the sport in years like this one, but LOVE it when we get nailed and they can sell sell sell. Why aren't they diversified enough to be able to ride out these tough years? Poor business planning I guess.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
This whole thing is all about economics. I'm sure Matt is well intended right now, but later on down the road it will be challenging for him to meld the two cultures together. There are just too many differences in expectations, even political viewpoints are vastly different between his proposed clientel and traditional users. Unfornunately its the "other" culture that will probably garner him and much of the Millinocket region much more revenue over the long haul because of the sheer numbers of "them" vs. "us" and they are available 12 months of the year to come to the region, as long as they have a "nice" place to stay. If you don't believe me on the sheer numbers, just go up the Golden Road on any given good season day and see all the rafts going down the river. There is a lot of money being transacted there and what Matt is doing is capitalizing on the opportunity that has been provided to him. Can't say as I blame him,(I don't support him).
There is probably not a conflict of interest with him being on the grooming board, but it certainly doesn't look good. We as sledders will more than likely have access for a while, but aventually he will have to succumb to the pressure of his well heeled clientel and no longer invite us to the party. Also Roxie has alllready demonstrated that she doesn't play well with others, so as she becomes more and more astablished in the area, that will make things more difficult.
Then you have the problem of "perceived economic benifit to the community" with the potential of his undertaking and what MAGIC promises. For years the area built its economy on the paper industry, which has all but cut and run. Again, I can't say as I blame them. It costs too much money to do business here, and now we are telling them what and where and how they can cut their trees. So now enter the promise of jobs and bolstered economy through the Ktaadin deal and other deals that will spawn off of this one and now you have a new Millinocket with a different identity.
It will be hard for Polstein not to pull this one off. We as sledders just need to be smart about things and get more involved.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts