Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am seeing a number of Polaris XLT's in the 1998 range.... whats the deal ? Good sled ? Or are people trying to get rid of them for a reason ?

Thanks

Scott

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
I just sold one and I still have one. I thought it was a great sled as long as you keep an eye on the crank bearings. Got to love the tripples.

·
Registered
6,119 Posts
I passed my 94 XLT on to my young lad 2 years ago, 6800 miles trouble free miles on her........knock on wood. I couldn't say a bad thing about that sled. I still like to get out and rip around on it once and a while, nothing sounds and feels quite like the Poo triples.

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
I rode my buddy's a couple years back, a little slower than I thought it should be but it made me buy a triple.

·
Registered
787 Posts
had a 1994 xlt 580 myself,very happy with it at that time other than melting
centre piston during a trip up north,thankfully covered by dealer.always loved
that triple sound

·
Registered
508 Posts
The first time I rode my 95 xlt, the main jet fell out of the middle carb. It had 20 miles on it and it was 5 below zero. :frech32: Never had another issue with it though. I rode it for 5 more years. I put DG tripples on it, It wasn't fast but man it sounded fast. :div20:

·
Registered
8,016 Posts
Originally posted by rjf7@Oct 9 2005, 09:41 PM
The first time I rode my 95 xlt, the main jet fell out of the middle carb. It had 20 miles on it and it was 5 below zero. :frech32:  Never had another issue with it though. I rode it for 5 more years. I put DG tripples on it, It wasn't fast but man it sounded fast. :div20:
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=918679
[/quote]

I had the same thing happen with my wife's 95 XLT 600 first ride of last winter. The main jet fell out of the carb on cylinder #3. Other than that, it's been a great sled.

·
Premium Member
12,762 Posts
When they changed from the original 580 engine they have had nothing but cranks breaking and bearing failure, even in sleds that have not been ridden hard.
The engines in both my Mom's and Dad's '96 or '97 XLT's blew up multiple times, Dad finally sold em off for next to nothing.
My old '94 XLT was bullit proof over several thousand miles.

·
Registered
167 Posts
What does Polaris stand for?

Pull Out of Lake And Repair In Summer

Sorry guys, couldn't resist. Actually their two up touring Classic's are nice. Wouldn't mind one for my collection.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
I recently sold my wife's 96 to a buddy. 1800 miles and looked like it came off the showroom. I am a XCR triple triple and now a xc7 guy who understands performance, this xlt (xtra lettuce and tomatoes) rocked after I clutched it. The motor took 6 grams more weight in primary and loved it. Never had a problem, but on my buddy's first ride a main jet unthreaded and dropped into bowl. I laughed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts