Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've got a 99 pol 700xc and both of the front motor mounts are torn in half. i got the top piece off and i'm trying to get to the bottom half nuts that are underneath a small bracket. i can't get to them with a wrench or a socket and was wondering if anybody knows what i can do to get to these bolts. any help will be greatly appreciated. thank you.
brandon

·
Registered
149 Posts
My 99 700 XCSP did that too. If I remember correctly, you don't have to hold the nuts. They are caged in a manner that won't let them spin. I used a pry bar or something to catch the tangs on the mount and pound the bar with a hammer. Did the same for installation. Really wasn't that bad of a job. Fixing the mounts on the trail with hose clamps wasn't so much fun :banana:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what tabs are you talking about. i only have the rubber that ripped in half and the washer piece that's attatched to the bolt. i can't get a grip on it with anything either. i've tried to get a chisel punch and hammer it out too, but without any luck. short of getting a torch on it, any other ideas? thanks.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
The front mounts are threaded and there is no nut to be removed underneath.

Looking at the mount from the top down, you have the bolt, then the rubber, then a washer. On the other side of that washer(which you can't see) is another bolt that is threaded into the frame.

The "washer" part should have notches on it. Take a punch and hammer and tap the washer on an angle, so you are loosening the mount. Once loose, you should be able to unscrew it from the frame.

Just did it on my 2000 XCR Gen 11 chasis last night.

·
Registered
570 Posts
mine shredded both front mnts too.loosen rear mnts if not replacing,then buy long(1")nuts from hardware store and machine them round on one end so they stick out far enough to get a wrench on and will also fit in frame on other end.i think they are 3/8" fine thread.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks guys, got a bigger hammer and a bigger chisel.....got em swapped. i just hope these won't be as bad as apparently the stock 99's were. thanks again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts