Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
20 850 Assault
2,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Introducing the Polaris Matryx! The best platform in the business just got better! I know what you’re going to say “it’s probably just new plastics on the Axys chassis”. That may be partially true, but that is where it ends! Polaris has been listening to consumers and working on the fine details. Polaris now has the two best platforms on the snow! I had the pleasure of being able to ride this amazing new platform in January! Here is what is new for 21:
• 5” narrower at the tank and knee area
• Smart Warmer hand warmer technology
• 7” touchscreen display with configurable screens (check out my other write up)
• Tool less windshield removal
• New left hand controls
• LED Projector beam headlight
• Larger foot well and improved running boards
• Under seat storage
• Larger storage compartment behind gauge
• Extruded aluminum tunnel protectors
• Indy VR1 premium trim level, Velocity Rider 1st comes with Velocity shocks, pro race front suspension, snow check exclusive
• New Lock and Ride Flex accessories
• Pro CC and IGX rear suspensions remain with more shock options
• Cool new color options
• 650 Patriot engine! (check out my other write up on the 650 engine)
• SBA 146 Matryx is only switchback available in Matryx for 21, 650 or 850

This is just part of the list. I’m going off memory, I wasn’t allowed to take notes or pictures at the pre-production test rides. I was able to ride a full day on various Matryx models and the equivalent Axys for comparison. The details and refinements on the Matryx platform are next level compared to the Axys. Now, don’t get me wrong the Axys is a great platform that is here to stay as well.
I spent the day riding various models as follows:
• Matryx Indy VR1 129 650 vs. Axys Indy XC 129 600
• Matryx Indy VR1 137 850 vs. Axys Indy XC 137 850
• Matryx SBA 146 850 vs Axys SBA 144 850
• Matryx SBA 146 650 ( I rode this all afternoon)

The Matryx is a full 5” narrower in gas tank and knee area. The cowl and tank have been redesigned with the rider in mind, all without sacrificing fuel capacity. The Matryx platform allows the active rider to get a knee out and over the cowl with ease when negotiating a tight corner. This shifts the center of mass forward and out to keep the front planted while cornering. The Matryx carries its roots over from the successful Axys R snow cross platform. The footwell openings are larger and the running board openings extend further under your feet reducing ice buildup. Moving around on the Matryx I was riding was effortless. You can easily transition from corner carving to getting the front end light in the rough. Now add in the VR1 trim with the Velocity shock package, 7S display, and smart warmers and you have arguably the best machines on the snow!

Toolless windshield removal on the Matryx. Yes, that’s right. No more plastic darts or plastic rivets to deal with. The one piece lower trim holds the windshield on and can be removed in seconds for quick easy windshield swaps. The new body work and combined windshields offer far better wind protection compared to the Axys. All while maintaining stylish looks. Even the low windshield on the machine I was riding was comfortable on a chilly January morning.
The Matryx comes with a new headlight consisting of 6 LED projector beams inside the headlight assembly. This light is amazing! We were on our way back from a day of riding when the sun went down. Wow! This new headlight has lots of low angle light for the trail directly in front of the machine and a bright center section that punches cleanly down trail.

The Matryx has many other refinements as well. The front spindles have been updated. No more rubber straps on the side panels. There is a small removable panel under the handle bars for adding a tether switch or heated shield plug. This only a few things I could remember from the quick walk around I did.
The left hand controls have been updated. The new controls have a more automotive feel. The heater grip switches have small indicator lights. The new controls feel familiar yet refined.

Another cool feature I noticed was extruded aluminum tunnel protectors. A lot of us have been making these ourselves for some time. Now they come with a Polaris part number. I didn’t get a very good look at the tunnel coolers, but these new aluminum protectors are designed to help with cooling as well. Should be much better than the plastic material.

More standard storage! I think we all agree more standard storage was needed. The Polaris Matryx has you covered. On the dash the gauge assembly folds down to reveal a large storage compartment. This is much larger than the Axys windshield compartment, and you don’t need to buy a separate windshield bag. The Matryx offers under seat storage. The seat comes off in seconds with a quarter turn fastener similar to the ones on the side panels. Underneath is a sizeable hard plastic storage compartment. This compartment should be quite water resistant.

Still need more storage? Check out all the new Lock and Ride Flex accessories. These are similar to current lock and ride accessories, but attach and detach easier and faster. The bottom of the seat/tank has two notches that the lock and ride fit into. The Matryx tunnel has the standard T slot and will accept all current accessories you already have as well.

2021 has a lot to offer from Polaris! The new Matryx is amazing! From the new ergonomics, the 7S display, updated hand controls, better wind protection, velocity shocks and many other refinements there is no doubt the new Matryx will be dominating the snow next winter! I hope you like my write up. Comment away! I’ll try and answer as many questions as I can. Check out my other reviews on the Patriot 650 and the new 7S display!

·
Registered
958 Posts
I rode a 2020 Assault 850 this winter and found it to be way more engine than most of the trails I'm used to. Yet, I'm concerned that the old 600 wasn't enough engine for an Assault. It's kind of looking like the 650 bridges that gap. What do you think about the combination of the new 650 and the (new) Assault?

·
Registered
20 850 Assault
2,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I rode a 2020 Assault 850 this winter and found it to be way more engine than most of the trails I'm used to. Yet, I'm concerned that the old 600 wasn't enough engine for an Assault. It's kind of looking like the 650 bridges that gap. What do you think about the combination of the new 650 and the (new) Assault?
I rode the Matryx 146 Assault 650. It was my favorite of all the sleds I rode that day! The 650 had plenty for the 146 track. I got to ride it on trail where it would pick up the skis while cruising. I also tried it on a fresh lake with lots of deep powder. I was impressed with the capability. With almost 138 HP the 650 is a beast. It has plenty of power when needed.

·
Registered
20 850 Assault
2,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The ones I rode were single adjust. The xcr will have hi los.
The velocities on the vr1 are fantastic. They ride great on typically trail chatter but can take the big hits still.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Thanks for the review. Any back lighting on headlight switch or reverse switch? Wife has struggled at times to find the reverse button in the dead of the night.

·
Registered
20 850 Assault
2,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the review. Any back lighting on headlight switch or reverse switch? Wife has struggled at times to find the reverse button in the dead of the night.
Yes! The new controls have back lighting!

·
Registered
351 Posts
Ok, you guys must of lined up the 650 vs the 850, can the 650 hang with the 850 to 60mph? What kind of top speeds were you seeing with the 650 in it's various forms?

·
Registered
20 850 Assault
2,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The rest of the ambassadors were drag racing. I was out with Luke Lester on the 650 Assault shooting video. The other ambassador group may have done some some racing? @pockets You guys line em up?

·
Registered
6,520 Posts
The rest of the ambassadors were drag racing. I was out with Luke Lester on the 650 Assault shooting video. The other ambassador group may have done some some racing? @pockets You guys line em up?
We did line them up. In my review, I talked about it. 3-6 length was the normal distance the 650 was behind the 850. The 850 would jump out right off the line, then they would stay there all the way to top end. We were running more than 1/8 mile, closer to 1/4.

·
Registered
135 Posts
ride comfort of the indy spring order for lighter females

how do you think the 2021 indy 129 650 spring order would ride with a 150 lbs female on it. my wife dislikes the harsh ride of her mxz tnt 600 etec with rmotion. i dont want to make a mistake and order one if its rear suspension is stiff at full soft settings. any thoughts?

·
Registered
20 850 Assault
2,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
how do you think the 2021 indy 129 650 spring order would ride with a 150 lbs female on it. my wife dislikes the harsh ride of her mxz tnt 600 etec with rmotion. i dont want to make a mistake and order one if its rear suspension is stiff at full soft settings. any thoughts?
I think she would be pleased with the ride. The new VR1 or launch is still on the pro cc rear suspension. The velocities are very nice in the small trail bumps. They are not valved like an xcr, yet they handle the larger stuff great. There is optional lighter torsion springs as well.

·
Registered
74 Posts
What would you pick and why 650 VR1 or 850 Indy XC launch Edition?

Both about the same price trying to decide.

·
Registered
20 850 Assault
2,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What would you pick and why 650 VR1 or 850 Indy XC launch Edition?

Both about the same price trying to decide.
I would go all in on the VR1 650 137! Better shocks, better gauge, 650 is perfect for a trail weapon. The 850 will beat it across the lake no doubt, but the 650 has plenty of power for everything else. And it runs on regular.

·
Registered
38 Posts
is there a tether on the Assaults yet?

they look great and sound great. Not in love with the snowcheck color options but whatever

·
Registered
7,662 Posts
How is the new Assault in regards to ride quality. The past Assaults, although a great sled, were stiff in the rear suspension

·
Registered
20 850 Assault
2,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
is there a tether on the Assaults yet?

they look great and sound great. Not in love with the snowcheck color options but whatever
Sorry, tether is an option. A good dealer will throw one in, they're inexpensive.

Reactions: mattyw

·
Registered
20 850 Assault
2,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
How is the new Assault in regards to ride quality. The past Assaults, although a great sled, were stiff in the rear suspension
I agree. The Matryx Assault is much better with the velocity shocks. Not as stiff yet they can take the big hits.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I've got a 2015 Axys switchback adventure 600. Love this sled but am thinking about upgrade. Looks like the XC rear suspension is just about done. I was kinda hoping they would drop it just so I wouldn't have the option. Then comes Matryx and 650 also! Price wise there are all too much, got to pay if you want to play. I have not ridden a CC skid yet and reviews are all over the place. I went from a 06 144" to the 137 now thinking about stepping down to the 129 VR1 650. I ride 90% trails in MN & WI and am worried about those Sat. afternoon and Sun. trails on my current sled, a click or 2 and go like hell. Kind of worried about that on shorter all new to me skid. Anyone have any thoughts?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts