Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Brand loyal, not brand blind
14,828 Posts
I don't remember his e bay name. I believe he is a member here. i bought a 850 alignment bar off e bay last December or so. Wonder if that fella is aware, or if anyone can recall whom that may be?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Not necessarily. With the 800s, Some model RMKs use a different belt then the trail Models.

The belts are different in length only 45.16" for the 1177 on the rush, switchback, and assault and 46.77" for the 1183 on the rmk. The clutch alignment is the same in all axys 800s. The differences between the 1177 and 1215 used on the 850 are only different in compound and share the same dimensions. Clutch alignments this far have been the same also.

·
Registered
173 Posts
The new PS-52666 bar has .057” leadin built in and .115” negative offset.

This is from the article above.

·
Premium Member
16,888 Posts
The belts are different in length only 45.16" for the 1177 on the rush, switchback, and assault and 46.77" for the 1183 on the rmk. The clutch alignment is the same in all axys 800s. The differences between the 1177 and 1215 used on the 850 are only different in compound and share the same dimensions. Clutch alignments this far have been the same also.

Not according to my info.

1177 is a 26 deg side angle, 1215 is a 28 deg.

I understand that Primary clutch sheave angles are different as well.

This affects offset as the wider sheave angles on the 850 cause the belt to reach a different farther inward position at 1:1 ratio or any ratio where the tool is designed for.

This difference can be easily calculated.

As further evidence of this, all the secondaries on the 2019 850 Indys I've checked using the 800 AXYS tool are too far inward floated from the factory.

I also question those numbers for offset. (.115"). Has to be at least the width of the belt plus secondary outer sheave thickness. This is 1.46" plus about 1/4 ".

·
Registered
173 Posts
Patriot, I believe your measurements to be more accurate than Polaris. I was only sharing the info that Polaris has supplied this far. And the measurements given on the new bar are from the snowest site. I cannot make any claims to the accuracy.

·
Vendor
10,165 Posts
don't waste your money on a line up bar. if you use one and set it to the bar there is still to much belt heat. we just float the driven clutch as much as possible. and the clutch belt heat goes away. drastically. you just want to make sure the ctr. to ctr. distant is right and parallelism is right with the small amount of forward twist the motor has built into it. we use a strap and pull the motor to where the parallelism is right and check the ctr. to ctr. is correct? if not things have to be shimmed or grooved to get it right. we have a 600 pro-stock that spins 10,000 rpm's after a 500' run you can put your hand on the drive or driven clutch and leave it there the minute the sled is in the pit. if we use the 5/8" off set with the float Polaris suggest you can't hardly touch it. we have 3/8" of total float on this and it works.

·
Premium Member
16,888 Posts
Patriot, I believe your measurements to be more accurate than Polaris. I was only sharing the info that Polaris has supplied this far. And the measurements given on the new bar are from the snowest site. I cannot make any claims to the accuracy.
Here were my belt and clutch measurements from my 2015 AXYS 800 SB. I intend to do the same on my 2019 Indy 850. This illustrates just how wrong certain online info can be.

Post #562.

https://www.hardcoresledder.com/for...1237481-breaking-new-axys-800-ves-oil-57.html

·
Premium Member
2021 VR1 850 137" 2016 SB 800 Pro-S 136"
4,493 Posts
Did anyone verify what the part number is from Polaris for the new clutch alignment bar?

·
Registered
6,320 Posts
What I don't understand is why they don't just make the bar to align the clutches without engine twist or offset built in.If a dealer"tech"cant figure that out maybe they are in the wrong line of work.

·
Premium Member
2021 VR1 850 137" 2016 SB 800 Pro-S 136"
4,493 Posts
According to Polaris Owner Connection the part number they have for the alignment tool is PS-47477 for the 2019 Axys sled. I wonder if that is the new part number for 2020 as well?

·
Vendor
10,165 Posts
line up bar is a joke. don't waste your money. listen to someone that worked for pro race teams. we won many races by not doing what Polaris said. the drag,oval,and sno-x is a testing ground. we sponsored a iron dog race team that did what we told them and ran our clutching among other things. a rookie team. they ran the whole 2100 miles on one belt on both sleds. and finished 15th. not bad for first time out. no other team did or could do that. the doo team that they were friendly with went through 8 drive belts in 2100 miles. do what you want. but the line -up bar is a waste of time. we prove it everyday. every iron dog team we helped finished this race. proving our clutching works. and all these were floated 3/8 of a inch total float. one team set a record time to nome that still stands.

racing like this proves what works and what doesn't.

·
Premium Member
16,888 Posts
Bringing this back to the top.

IMO, floating the secondary a lot does not address the engine forward twist issue. My own testing showed me that the engine doesn't twist as far rearward under load as the earlier 800 did.

The guy on Snowest that machined his mounts now has a new alignment tool. He first machines the mounts, then uses the new tool. Seems to know what he's doing.

https://www.snowest.com/forum/threads/new-polaris-alignment-bar.449483/

·
Premium Member
16,888 Posts
I own a 2005 Redline Revolt 800 snowmobile.

This sled addressed a lot of the clutch/engine alignment issues by mounting the CVT system totally separate from the engine and connected by a coupling to the engine like a PWC.

The CVT is mounted on its own housing that includes both clutches, the gear housing from jackshaft to driveshaft, and a waterpump. You can see the coupling right above the date in the second pic. No twist needed.

If secondary is properly floated to accommodate the difference of about .090" in side movement between the primary and the secondary over the full shift range, this is the ultimate in proper CVT design.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,320 Posts
I think the problem is unless a guy blueprints the chassis how do you know the problem is really with the engine twist?(or chassis twist) The bar probably wont work the same on every machine if its trying to build the twist into the alignment bar. The 850 platform is definitely better than the 800 as far as engine twist with the motor mounts .If you ride an 800 with the hood and side panels off its a real eye opener!
There shouldn't be a need to build a different alignment bar for every chassis or engine.You clutches don't know if they are on a sled or on a go cart so one bar should work for anything.Its up to the end user to determine how much engine /chassis twist is in the machine and align their clutches accordingly.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts