Hardcore Sledder banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Vendor
10,073 Posts
Is there much of a draw on the battery with just the kill switch or do you need to turn key off every time you stop for 5 to 10 min?
very low draw. you have to shut it off with the key only when not using the sled or it will drain the battery dead. i would shut the key off when eating lunch etc. but not if i stopped for 5-10 minutes.

the kit is probably cheaper than buying individual parts? all you need is the battery box and hardware. and the e-start wiring harness. without the battery cables. but you will have to make smaller gauge wire positive and ground to go from the battery to the harness. that way it provides 12vdc when the key is in the on position and the system recharges the battery when the sled is running. very simple to do really?

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Need to make a battery adapter for something like a Milwaukee drill battery. Nice and light and you can use it in the drill in the summer. Something I'm gonna look into..

Now there's an idea. Those Milwaukee batteries are tough as nails, hold a good charge, and don't take up much room. I blast my Milwaukee work radio in the subzero freezer at work all day and even though it's 3 years old now, it'll still last 8-9 hours

·
Vendor
10,073 Posts
Now there's an idea. Those Milwaukee batteries are tough as nails, hold a good charge, and don't take up much room. I blast my Milwaukee work radio in the subzero freezer at work all day and even though it's 3 years old now, it'll still last 8-9 hours
i would be checking on what voltage the gauge can run on? most batteries for power tools now are 18 volts plus. it may have to be regulated?

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Ahhh that's true. This is already past my wrenching skills. Maybe the next hot line of aftermarket accessories will be the "hcs angrysnowman" line. If he could find a way to rig up a reliable kit I'd be interested if I decide I want my idd to be battery powered. But yes it probably would require knocking that 18 volts down to 12 somehow. But it's not like Milwaukee batteries are a ton cheaper either, they go for about $80-$100

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
I wouldn't be putting a drill battery in a sled hooked to the stator. There not designed to always be taking a charge. They might explode. Lithium motorcycle batteries have a board in them to prevent over charging them.
I basically did the same thing as this kit last year to my 13. I picked up a small battery tender brand lithium battery a couple relays and toggles and made a battery box. One toggle powers up chassis power and ecm power while the other toggle is a battery disconnect.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Did some digging and and BMP sells a lightweight battery/battery holder kit. Seems really nice if you're really serious about shedding the lbs. http://bikemanperformance.com/snowmobile/polaris/axys-800-ho/bmp-axys-lightweight-battery-kit-12-5lb-savings.html

Edit: I noticed BMP is selling the battery by itself for $200. I thought that was little steep so I googled the part no. and found that their price was only a little higher than other places on the web. Nothing against them, no point in selling something you're not making a profit on. That battery has 360 CCA. (Cold cranking amps). This is needed if you also have ES. But for those that are just getting the PowerUp kit, could you just get the $80 version with only 120 CCA? I know it wouldn't be getting that large draw like turning over a cold engine does so CCA probably isn't the best measurement but what are your guys thoughts on this? This link shows the different WPS battery models, CCA, weights, and prices. http://www.wcpmx.com/WPS_Featherweight_Lithium_Batteries_p/wps_lithium_batteries.htm

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
I have a lithium lightweights battery perfect for the power up application. It's same as pictured above in this thread. Works perfect for this application. Saves 10 POUNDS!

Figure half of retail price--I have to check.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Did anybody install this yet? Either the Polaris kit or makeup there own with a lightweight battery. Curious how the install went and how it's working for them

·
Registered
781 Posts
yep on my RMK plug and play wiring, they give you all the E start brackets for the battery, I used just the foot rest bracket and bent it flat and used a Shori battery from my KTM and it weighed less that half a pound,, took like 1/2 hr to install

·
Registered
523 Posts
Awesome good news I'm going to order being that I hate I can't tinker with the gauge or do updates without the sled running. The kit doesn't include a battery right? Pics would be great if u get a chance of the lighter battery you used and how u installed the bracket. Thanks

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
I don't miss the battery at all. Slightly inconvenient at times but that's it

·
Premium Member
4,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I don't miss the battery at all. Slightly inconvenient at times but that's it
Idling your sled for 5 minutes during a trail update is one thing, when it is time to upload a fresh base map, which will take around 30 minutes, you better have a good plan.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Idling your sled for 5 minutes during a trail update is one thing, when it is time to upload a fresh base map, which will take around 30 minutes, you better have a good plan.

I'll just have my dealer do it when it goes in for its first service this fall. Or just ride it while it updates. Not that big of a deal.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Does anyone know on the Polaris battery kit with wiring, does the wiring harness provided with the kit supply power to re-charge the battery on a non ES sled??

·
Premium Member
4,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Does anyone know on the Polaris battery kit with wiring, does the wiring harness provided with the kit supply power to re-charge the battery on a non ES sled??
Of course it recharges the battery with the engine running, just like the ES battery. The Engine Power Management post details how that works.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts