Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Polaris IDD gauge/GPS does not require a battery, but having one installed on the sled, can provide better function of the IDD. Here are some of the advantages:

* The IDD will no longer shutdown/reboot when the engine reverses.

* Stop the engine by the kill switch, and the IDD will stay on, until you turn the key OFF.

* Anytime you turn the key ON, regardless of the engine running, the IDD gauge will boot up and run.

* For short breaks on the trail, the IDD maintains a lock on the satellites, so as soon as you startup, you can go, and have GPS tracking.

* Engine can be shut off while reviewing where you've been and shifting the map, to see where you want to go.

* No need to run the engine while updating trails (5 minutes) and base maps (30 minutes) from a USB flash drive into the IDD.

* No need for engine running when naming waypoints or the current days tracks, and then permanently saving them to the USB flash drive. Or when restoring tracks or waypoints from the USB flash drive to the IDD.

* Can review trip odometer info, and check fuel level without starting up engine.

If your sled is equipped with Electric Start, that battery will support the IDD.

If NOT equipped with Electric Start, Polaris now offers a Kit that will support the IDD on an AXYS sled, just like Electric Start does, but with less cost, less time/skill/tools to install and less weight since there is no starter, no need to change the primary clutch to get a ring gear, and it is also easier to move to another AXYS sled.

This is Polaris Part# 2882200 IDD battery powerup kit $100US, and available soon. It includes everything needed to safely mount a battery forward of your right foot inside the engine compartment, including instructions as well as a wiring harness that will plug into your main wiring harness, just like factory electric start would.

In addition, you will need the same size battery as used by the Electric start kit: Part# 4013045 Sealed Non-Spill battery Yuasa YTX20CH AGM 18AH, 270 CCA $130US. If concerned about weight, you could use a smaller 12 volt battery or a lightweight lithium battery.
 
  • Like
Reactions: dskofich

·
Registered
Joined
·
523 Posts
yes glad they finally listened. I wonder if you snowcheck a 17 with IdD but no electric start if it will include this
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
523 Posts
Has anybody gotten or installed this kit yet. Curious how much is involved for the install, interested in using a smaller lithium battery if there's a good weight savings.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
523 Posts
Ya they only did that for the first year, 16s and I believe 17s they removed the battery if not ES. Hence this kit...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Does anyone have photos or schematic on how the bracket is placed? I purchased the ES harness and hooked it into a Trail Solutions NiMH 12v battery but am a little paranoid of it and it's wires proximity to the QD

Edit: not sure what's in the kit but a part number of just the bracket if available would be awesome as well
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
344 Posts
Is there much of a draw on the battery with just the kill switch or do you need to turn key off every time you stop for 5 to 10 min?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
523 Posts
So many questions... so few answers lol. I'm not even sure if the kits are in stock yet I talked to Polaris rep at the Nh grass drags and he said he had one on order for his personal sled and hasn't gotten yet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,506 Posts
I ordered my '17 w/o es, is it really that big of a deal? I can deal with it rebooting on the rare occasion I have to turn around or back up. And 90% of the time I know where I'm going. And the other 10% of the time I know where I am, just not where the trails end up. And I don't plan on updating the gauge more than once before the start of every season
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,758 Posts
Need to make a battery adapter for something like a Milwaukee drill battery. Nice and light and you can use it in the drill in the summer. Something I'm gonna look into..
 
1 - 20 of 53 Posts
Top