Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These fish bones are for a edge chassis, They were blue but I heated them with a propane torch and wire wheeled them. Seeing how they were powder coated. I have another set if anyone is interested. I was going to add them the length of the tunnel but where I need to drill on the second set would hit the coolers. and I would have to cut the heck out of them to get them to fit that far back. the best part is you can see the vin #s[attachment=280759:tunnel_braces_001.jpg][attachment=280761:tunnel_braces_002.
pg]

·
Registered
363 Posts
I also have a Black set these supports, Brand New! For Sale.

Bought them for my Crossfire,but ended up buying the supports Krom was selling instead.

Just contact me if Interested!! :beerchug:

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Here's the only problem I can see, and I want to state out right that I am trained as an airframe mechanic and all we do is lay alum and rivets. The metal can be as thick as you want, as fancy a shape as you want, the problem is unless it's welded along it's edge then the ONLY strength it will get it from the placement and amount of rivets used.

In this supports case there are only 7 rivets, that's 7 points on which the peice will be torsioned or stressed. Only 7 rivets means if a hard hit is taken and one of those rivets loads up (which it will since less rivets=more stress on each rivet individually) it will rips the tunnel and give way.

What's the fix? More rivets, placed strategically. I have a set or krom's supports and he did ballance the loads properly, if I remember correctly there was 16 or so rivets in EACH side. Check out where his are riveted in the pics supplied in his thread and I would apply the same rivets in the same spots to get the most strength out of your support. No bashing intended, just someone who knows this stuff helping another guy out :beerchug:

EDIT: I just counted mine and it's actually 19 rivets per side. Remember more rivets is more tie downs which equals more strength. Just like laying 2" of weld is more holding metal than 1" of weld. hth

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here's the only problem I can see, and I want to state out right that I am trained as an airframe mechanic and all we do is lay alum and rivets. The metal can be as thick as you want, as fancy a shape as you want, the problem is unless it's welded along it's edge then the ONLY strength it will get it from the placement and amount of rivets used.

In this supports case there are only 7 rivets, that's 7 points on which the peice will be torsioned or stressed. Only 7 rivets means if a hard hit is taken and one of those rivets loads up (which it will since less rivets=more stress on each rivet individually) it will rips the tunnel and give way.

What's the fix? More rivets, placed strategically. I have a set or krom's supports and he did ballance the loads properly, if I remember correctly there was 16 or so rivets in EACH side. Check out where his are riveted in the pics supplied in his thread and I would apply the same rivets in the same spots to get the most strength out of your support. No bashing intended, just someone who knows this stuff helping another guy out :beerchug:
EDIT: I just counted mine and it's actually 19 rivets per side. Remember more rivets is more tie downs which equals more strength. Just like laying 2" of weld is more holding metal than 1" of weld. hth[/b]
I was going to add more rivits but all I had for the strong ones were the 7 for each side. I was just showing the pics mounted with what I had so people could see what the polaris ones looked like. I guess I should have stated that. Thanks for bringing this up tough so that way anyone else that has the polaris ones can add more rivets

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
I was going to add more rivits but all I had for the strong ones were the 7 for each side. I was just showing the pics mounted with what I had so people could see what the polaris ones looked like. I guess I should have stated that. Thanks for bringing this up tough so that way anyone else that has the polaris ones can add more rivets[/b]
Good to hear, last thing anyone would want is a torn tunnel, that's worse than a bent one lol. :celebrating:

·
Registered
520 Posts
I have the same braces, and I had the same concern, not enought rivets, now just a question, when Poo made these why do you think they only put 7 holes in them for rivets and where would you propose would be te best locaiton for the additional rivets

Thanks

NewfieCat

1 - 11 of 11 Posts