Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have an 02 Polaris Edge 700 and took it out on the trails for the first time this year yesterday. When I would get up to 73 MPH, the Speedo would stop there and not move and the Tach would be stopped at 7K. Was following a newer sled and they said we were up around 90 so I know I was going faster than the gauge was reading. Wondering what the possible problems for this could be. Thanks.

·
Registered
2014 Ski Doo 600 GSX SE 137"
812 Posts
Last time I had that happen on a 2003 XCSP Edge 600 it was the driveshaft bearing getting ready to let go. The speedometer got erratic and then stopped working. You do not want the bearing to fail going fast. Could cause a catastrophic failure. Had it happen on two different Polaris 600's. Both with less than 3,500 miles on them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Last time I had that happen on a 2003 XCSP Edge 600 it was the driveshaft bearing getting ready to let go. The speedometer got erratic and then stopped working. You do not want the bearing to fail going fast. Could cause a catastrophic failure. Had it happen on two different Polaris 600's. Both with less than 3,500 miles on them.
Thanks for the info. I recently replaced the Speedo Key as it was sheared and found on forums that this is an indication of a bad driveshaft bearing but saw some other people replacing driveshaft bearings and they were blown up in pieces and mine was not so didn’t think too much of it. I’ll have to get it checked out. Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
39,239 Posts
True, but why would the tach malfunction too..just odd.

·
Registered
812 Posts
True, but why would the tach malfunction too..just odd.
I would think the speedometer and tach failure are two separate issues. He said he found the speedometer key sheared off. If the speedometer cable was replaced maybe the tach cable came loose on back of instrument cluster when he was fiddling with the speedometer cable back there.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Thanks for the info. I recently replaced the Speedo Key as it was sheared and found on forums that this is an indication of a bad driveshaft bearing but saw some other people replacing driveshaft bearings and they were blown up in pieces and mine was not so didn’t think too much of it. I’ll have to get it checked out. Thanks again.
The bearing can begin to fail and last for a while before coming apart. Doesn't happen the same way everytime. Had a friend ride his 600 over a hundred miles after the speedometer quit working. He took it in to the shop for a check over and they found the bad bearing. It chewed up the end of the shaft but was still working. Was just a matter of time before it let go completely. He had to replace the shaft. Is it the new speedometer cable on the machine that is stopping at 73 mph?

·
Premium Member
18,635 Posts
Have an 02 Polaris Edge 700 and took it out on the trails for the first time this year yesterday. When I would get up to 73 MPH, the Speedo would stop there and not move and the Tach would be stopped at 7K. Was following a newer sled and they said we were up around 90 so I know I was going faster than the gauge was reading. Wondering what the possible problems for this could be. Thanks.
Did the speedo continue to work at lower speeds? Does the tach also work at lower rpm? Speedo is cable operated, tach is driven by pulses from the lighting system. May be two separate problems.

·
Premium Member
39,239 Posts
I would think the speedometer and tach failure are two separate issues. He said he found the speedometer key sheared off. If the speedometer cable was replaced maybe the tach cable came loose on back of instrument cluster when he was fiddling with the speedometer cable back there.
No cable for the tach. It's wired.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
The bearing can begin to fail and last for a while before coming apart. Doesn't happen the same way everytime. Had a friend ride his 600 over a hundred miles after the speedometer quit working. He took it in to the shop for a check over and they found the bad bearing. It chewed up the end of the shaft but was still working. Was just a matter of time before it let go completely. He had to replace the shaft. Is it the new speedometer cable on the machine that is stopping at 73 mph?
Didnt replace the cable just the square key that sits inside the Speedo housing

1 - 13 of 13 Posts