Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I race XC and I'm not the richest racer on the planet and recently Polaris offered me their 600 cross country race sled at a discounted price (Big upgrade from my old skidoo). This sled is based off of the matrix platform and looks pretty sharp. What do you all think of it? My main concern is its resale value and I don't want to lose a ton of money on it when I go to sell it. I did call Polaris and asked if the sled was oil injected and it is so I'm thinking that it'll actually sell pretty well after one or two season of use but before I pulled the trigger I wanted to ask you guys what you thought both on the performance and the finical aspect of the sled.

·
Premium Member
2,116 Posts
I would think that the performance would be good since it has upgrades over the basic 600. As far as resale I wouldn't think it would be as good as a 650 Maytrx. I am basing that because it would be used race equipment, think moto cross bikes. But if you are buying it for you and not for the next guy I say go for it!

·
Registered
598 Posts
My opinion is to get whatever you can from Polaris and sell,sell,sell on the open market to fund racing.

·
Registered
5,439 Posts
Besides it losing value obviously from being a race sled. Selling it for a fair price should be super easy becsue they are not availible to general public and are fuel injected / pump gas / and oil injected. I imagine that might be enough to keep the value up when selling also .

·
Registered
6,512 Posts
The big thing is to just think about what you think you might want for it in a year two and go from there.Depending on what tier of sponsorship you are on the price of the sled can vary.The only way to get cheaper sleds is to get this sled and go perform well so the next sled will be cheaper.There really arent that many guys that race anymore so if you are comitted to racing Polaris will appreciate that.The guys I know that get race sleds dont usually have trouble getting rid of them.As far as Im concerned race sleds dont bother me because they dont get pounded any harder than I pound the crap out of my equipment anyways.This thing should be a real strong running 600 from what Ive heard.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Nick 123, your quote of my main concern is its resale value and i dont want to lose a
ton when i go to sell it. Listen to any 3rd place rider or any top rider that didnt finish
well during a important heat race and they will mention that they couldnt hang with
the top guys that day and that we have to finish only 1,2. Finishing in the top podium
places week after week will get you noticed and possible sponsorship. If you raced
for Polaris and were on the team do you think they would settle for anything less than
100% effort, including physical conditioning..... Its all mindset even in the
amateur class.......

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
I spend way to much time on youtube and facebook snowmobile groups. And I will tell you that sled is a bar of gold. Lots of people want that sled and can't get it. I know a few that applied and were denied becuase of the very limited build numbers on these. Me including. Along with the current crazy demand of regular sleds, a VERY limited build XC sled will sell a few hours after you post it for sale. But really hope that you plan on racing it and are not taking it from someone that actually wanted one to race.

·
Registered
735 Posts
You should budget for any race sled to be a total loss. You could destroy it the first race. In good condition it will have value but everyone knows it has been beat on so most won't pay much for it.

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
I agree with snowmachine, it will be a wanted item. So many watch the videos of races and want to be the next to step up to that level. A race sled in decent condition will have its marketplace. Granted it probably will not be the 60 year husband and wife looking for second sled. It will be the high school or college guy that wants to bang the ditches and not worry about suspension bottoming out.

·
Vendor
10,322 Posts
to get a race sled at any discount or through the race program you have to show you raced somewhere. currently if you never raced in any sanctioned event you will not get one. you have to fill out a racer application from Polaris race dept. to get one. we raced in the past and couldn't get one because we haven't raced currently. if it's raced expect to get 1/2 or less what you paid for. we buy sleds from race teams like hentages etc. because every questionable damaged parts are replaced. even raced hard these are like new. small low budget teams there junk. there is no warranty on race sleds at all. and parts can be hard to get during sno-x season etc.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Don't know what the Polaris race program is today, but we raced Snocross for them from 2001-2007. If you were selected to be in the program, sleds were a limited build and could purchase them at a pretty good discount. When we sold them at the end of the season, we always got our money back as they were limited build and that was the only way a beginning racer/general public could get one. Keep up the maintenance and you'll have no problem selling it when you're ready

·
Premium Member
4,735 Posts
What??? I don't even understand half of this comment. COR powersports posts all results on their website... And why do you need to see my parents backyard???
If you race cross country under COR and didn't know if the sled was oil injected, that throws up a huge question mark, what class did you run and how many years did you race your Ski-Doo?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If you race cross country under COR and didn't know if the sled was oil injected, that throws up a huge question mark, what class did you run and how many years did you race your Ski-Doo?
Its the first year they produced this sled. They also recently removed the 600 from their consumer lineup so I wasn't sure if it was the snowcross motor which runs premix or the old 600 consumer motor. I ran trail class last year and am moving up to sport stock since trail isn't very competitive. Before that I mostly did barnyard races. I'm not quite sure how any of this is helping me in any way shape or form. Came here for help and it seems as if a few people are either jealous or sore losers lol. Sorry that I wasn't born into a family that raced snowmobiles and assumed you guys were a good source to ask.

Thanks a ton to the people that did help!!!

·
Premium Member
4,735 Posts
Its the first year they produced this sled. They also recently removed the 600 from their consumer lineup so I wasn't sure if it was the snowcross motor which runs premix or the old 600 consumer motor. I ran trail class last year and am moving up to sport stock since trail isn't very competitive. Before that I mostly did barnyard races. I'm not quite sure how any of this is helping me in any way shape or form. Came here for help and it seems as if a few people are either jealous or sore losers lol. Sorry that I wasn't born into a family that raced snowmobiles and assumed you guys were a good source to ask.

Thanks a ton to the people that did help!!!
Lot's of good people here with good information, it's been at least 7 years since the cross country class has been EPA compliant consumer based snowmobiles, the only exception is Pro-Open.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts